The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've decided to stick this one out. This will be only the third time I've missed a general. I just think I need a break from scheduled watches and would like to just randomly watch whatever for a while.

I'll be back for the 28th!

I've decided to stick this one out. This will be only the third time I've missed a general. I just think I need a break from scheduled watches and would like to just randomly watch whatever for a while.

I hope to see you in some future Halls

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
When we rank our films, do we leave our own out?

Suspect's Reviews

It's because I rejoined.

bye b*tch

One Cut Of The Dead

Nominated by: @CosmicRunaway

rewatch

It's extremely hard to pull off something original and surprising these days. One cut of the Dead manages to do that and be extremely funny to boot. A love letter to indie-filmmaking.

It's basically told in three parts and you are thrown into it right from the start. I implore you to stick with it because if you don't really know what you're watching, you might be tempted to turn it off after 20 minutes. But then it switches gears and immediately draws you in. Once you see the reasons for earlier weird mishaps, you fall in love with the film. The movie has charm and champions the art of independent cinema. It made me remember the days of college when we would make movies. The pain one would go through for their craft, hahaha.

Good make-up, well-done single takes and incredible dedication to the "wink", this film is a gem that people should watch and I'm glad was nominated.

You include your own film.
Oh yeah, I remember now. That always seemed weird to me since people are going to rank their own entry highly. But let's roll with it.

Oh yeah, I remember now. That always seemed weird to me since people are going to rank their own entry highly. But let's roll with it.
Not me,at least not always. There was one time I ranked my own nom like in the middle of the pack just because the other noms were just that good. Often I voted my own nom like 2nd or 3rd, it just depends.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

I totally understand that. Sometimes it's just nice to watch whatever.
See ya in the 28th, sean!!
Not me,at least not always. There was one time I ranked my own nom like in the middle of the pack just because the other noms were just that good. Often I voted my own nom like 2nd or 3rd, it just depends.
I've done the same as well. If I enjoy something more than my own, it does get ranked higher.

Highly, yes. But I don't think I've ranked my own nomination first in any of the HoFs I've done. Honestly, one of the best things about an HoF is the moment when you realize you've just watched something new that you like even more than the film you yourself put up.

Eh, if everybody ranks their own pretty high then they cancel each other out.

I vote with my heart rather than with any strategy in mind. Since I only ever nominate favorite movies, it stands to reason that my own nomination will almost always end up #1 on my ballot.

I forgot the opening line.
Been wanting to see One Cut of the Dead ever since reading Thief's review of it a little while back so it's a much welcome addition for me.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I vote with my heart rather than with any strategy in mind. Since I only ever nominate favorite movies, it stands to reason that my own nomination will almost always end up #1 on my ballot.
Same, though sometimes I discover a new favorite (like Cranes Are Flying). And sometimes I nominate a B+ fun movie instead of an A+ more serious film.

Same, though sometimes I discover a new favorite (like Cranes Are Flying). And sometimes I nominate a B+ fun movie instead of an A+ more serious film.
I generally rank films based on personal enjoyment, so that B+ fun movie often ends up outranking the more serious films.

I don't see any big issue with people voting their pick high on their list, but then again, I didn't go with a "favorite", nor did others. I haven't been here long, but at least in the one or two HoF's that I participated, I don't think I voted for my pick at #1 (don't remember, really). Either way, with the classics that were voted for this one... Raiders, Jaws, Apocalypse Now... I doubt that my pick will be above those.

I generally rank films based on personal enjoyment, so that B+ fun movie often ends up outranking the more serious films.
For me it varies. I vote more with my heart than for the sake of technical proficiency. But sometimes a film is really well made AND gets me in the feels, and those tend to rank very high. (Again Cranes Are Flying is my key example of this).