A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

You clowns! Hell House is great.

I haven't seen Changeling yet though (intend to get to it later this month), so for all I know I'll be eating my hat in a few weeks.

I said it depends on what you want!

ETA: If, for example, you're in the mood for something like a Hammer movie, it'd seem like a reasonably solid choice. If you're going for something more dramatic-horror, it'd be a weird recommendation.

It's sounding like Roddy Piper should have been in Hell House.
Roddy McDowell was my favourite part.

Yes. Much more so of HH than BM but they both ultimately had the same problem.

A problem MM thankfully avoids.
So my main problem with HH and BM were that they both felt bloated to me and while I mostly enjoyed them I didn't feel like the payoff was ultimately worth the 10-hour commitment.

Besides being 3 hours shorter, I rarely found my attention wavering during Midnight Mass. I'm reading lots of complaints about the frequent monologues but for the most part I found them compelling and the performances were all pretty great, I thought. I must confess I started to lose my bearings during the final episode but I think that was a result of me watching 4 episodes in one sitting. I intend to rewatch that last one at least.

I'm not a religious person in any way, but I admire Flanagan's handling of the subject matter. It's very easy for a lazy writer to attack the devout so I appreciate that this was more even-handed than is usually the case. A more religious viewer than I might disagree of course.

But yeah, some thought-provoking stuff, some creepy bits, an excellent villain (Bev ).
Anyone going into this looking for a spook show will no doubt get restless, but I was into it.

My last couple of viewings had me wishing he'd turned it down a notch or two.
It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't remember him being that over the top? At least by the standards of the genre, and especially considering he's supposed to be shell shocked from a previous incident.

#IStandWithRoddy

I guess you just don't care about good acting as much as I do. Fair enough.

#IStandWithYeti

So my main problem with HH and BM were that they both felt bloated to me and while I mostly enjoyed them I didn't feel like the payoff was ultimately worth the 10-hour commitment.

Besides being 3 hours shorter, I rarely found my attention wavering during Midnight Mass. I'm reading lots of complaints about the frequent monologues but for the most part I found them compelling and the performances were all pretty great, I thought. I must confess I started to lose my bearings during the final episode but I think that was a result of me watching 4 episodes in one sitting. I intend to rewatch that last one at least.

I'm not a religious person in any way, but I admire Flanagan's handling of the subject matter. It's very easy for a lazy writer to attack the devout so I appreciate that this was more even-handed than is usually the case. A more religious viewer than I might disagree of course.

But yeah, some thought-provoking stuff, some creepy bits, an excellent villain (Bev ).
Anyone going into this looking for a spook show will no doubt get restless, but I was into it.

My problem with HH and BM was…

WARNING: spoilers below
how they betrayed the central premise of their source by making their hauntings ultimately benevolent in order to carry some sort of theme about enduring love/family. I don’t really take issue with those themes (though they are fairly rote at this point) but it really rendered the horror that preceded fairly flaccid and it deflated them immensely.

MM on the other hand, never betrays it’s premise for themes and weaves them into the plotting and characters in a fairly organic and satisfying way.*

My issues with MM are in dealing with the bloat, largely due to the amount of repeated set ups and incessant monologues. I swear the final episodes have about 9 monologues a piece. They’re not bad, some are even great, but even the greatest monologues feel tiresome when stacked. If Brody had given a monologue about his appendicitis, and Hooper had given 5 pgs of dialogue about that thresher shark that ate his boat, I’d have probably asked Quint to just get to “we dropped the bomb” already.*

Overall, I really liked it though. It played like a Stephen King mixtape and managed to capture optimistic nihilism about as well as anything I’ve seen.

However, on a personal note…

WARNING: spoilers below
Taking a Nosferatu vampire and giving him glowing eyes in the dark makes my 2019 short Sangre Dulce looking fairly awkward. Guess I made an unintentional prequel.

I guess you just don't care about good acting as much as I do. Fair enough.

I don't know what it says when I see a giphy like this, and something in my brain goes... I've... seen. this. I no longer can remember when.

I watched Body Bags, a horror anthology hosted by John Carpenter. Ole Jonny C directed two of the segments while the third was done by Toby Hooper and starred Mark Hamill. They’re all adequate, while the host segments are goofy and macabre, fitting the tone of the season nicely. There’s also a handful of cameos from names in the genre for those with a savvy eye.

I watched Body Bags, a horror anthology hosted by John Carpenter. Ole Jonny C directed two of the segments while the third was done by Toby Hooper and starred Mark Hamill. They’re all adequate, while the host segments are goofy and macabre, fitting the tone of the season nicely. There’s also a handful of cameos from names in the genre for those with a savvy eye.
I remember finding this pretty entertaining, especially the segment 'Hair'.

The trick is not minding
Hey guys, need to know if anyone is familiar with the following films I have found via streaming:
Mark of The Witch (1970)
Death Ship (1980)

I may watch them this week, but I might also push them to the side for more important viewings. Idk. MotW actually looks interesting.

Victim of The Night
Also, Malignant...

WARNING: "Here be" spoilers below
They should have scooped out the brain at the end. You can't open up the skull and not follow through. Extremely disappointing in that regard.

Anyway, fun movie. Has an action scene that's way more visceral than anything in Furious 7 and Aquaman. It seems blockbuster money makes James Wan a sloppier filmmaker.
Ha! When do you think they should have done that?

WARNING: "so spoilery" spoilers below
Before or after they take the protagonist to the electric chair for mass-murder?

Hey guys, need to know if anyone is familiar with the following films I have found via streaming:
Mark of The Witch (1970)
Death Ship (1980)

I may watch them this week, but I might also push them to the side for more important viewings. Idk. MotW actually looks interesting.

I wouldn't qualify Death Ship as an important viewing, but it has its charms.