what is the longest movie you have ever had to sit through?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
As of writing, I think it might be The Travelling Players (which is about four-and-a-half hours long).
Looking at my records, it appears that I had forgotten about 1900 when I made this post. In hindsight, this was probably for the best.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
All three extended LORT BD movies back to back (3h 48, 3h 55, 4h 43) in one sitting with some friends. Otherwise I'll have to go with, as CR said, Cleopatra at 4h 11.

A few years ago, I forced myself to watch Peter Watkins's La Commune (Paris, 1871). It's a a 5h45 historical faux documentary starring actual unprofessional Paris citizen who were encouraged to participate in their character's story and to vote on it, like the citizen of the Commune once voted.

Actual anarchy on set, if you will.

This made for a very interesting, if tedious, viewing.

I have watched and liked Lawrence of Arabia 227 minutes, Once Upon a Time in America approx 230 minutes and Judgement at Nurenberg.186 minutes. Judgement at Nurenberg is the shortest of these movies, but probably posed the biggest challenging in making a long movie. Much of the film takes place in a courtroom.

I have watched and liked Lawrence of Arabia 227 minutes, Once Upon a Time in America approx 230 minutes and Judgement at Nurenberg.186 minutes. Judgement at Nurenberg is the shortest of these movies, but probably posed the biggest challenging in making a long movie. Much of the film takes place in a courtroom.
Judgement was amazing, Maxamillion Shell truly gave as good a performance as Ive ever seen an actor in a drama. He was saying his lines with such a raw tenacity, truly he was acting ahead of his time.

Worth. Every. Minute.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
12 hours of Out 1, but in two sittings (days).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai Du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. And I hated every second.
I get the feeling that that was the point, like if you think it's bad that you have to watch this woman go about her day in mind-numbing detail for about three-and-a-half hours then imagine how she feels having to live such a boring life every single day.

That's exactly how I felt about Dr. Strangelove - and it was torturous.
WHAT

I get the feeling that that was the point, like if you think it's bad that you have to watch this woman go about her day in mind-numbing detail for about three-and-a-half hours then imagine how she feels having to live such a boring life every single day.
Yeah. Having not seen it i find it difficult to believe people actually enjoy it though, i probably just don't understand but it made the 70's list and that kind of blows my mind unless what i'm hearing about it is wrong.

Related to the thread, i've had Satantango ready to watch for well over a year bu i've been told i have to watch it in one sitting which is pretty impossible to me.

Yeah. Having not seen it i find it difficult to believe people actually enjoy it though, i probably just don't understand but it made the 70's list and that kind of blows my mind unless what i'm hearing about it is wrong.

Related to the thread, i've had Satantango ready to watch for well over a year bu i've been told i have to watch it in one sitting which is pretty impossible to me.
I imagine it's more to do with appreciating it as an artistic statement than enjoying it as straightforward entertainment. I'm sure that could be said of most films that stretch past the three-hour mark.

I imagine it's more to do with appreciating it as an artistic statement than enjoying it as straightforward entertainment. I'm sure that could be said of most films that stretch past the three-hour mark.
I imagine that is the case but i still don't see how some had it in their top five or whatever of the 70's. I know everyone doesn't go about it the same way as me but it is still pretty shocking. Not even watched it so i should probably stop here but from what people who are usually into these types of films both on and off this site have told me it is pretty baffling.

I remember Minio posted Apichatpong Weerasethakuls top ten and he had Andy Warhols Empire on it. Yeah, he doesn't enjoy that at all, he is definitely a liar.

oooof. I had no idea it was that long. I've heard it is really good. Obviously you gave it at least
like every film you watch with no words so we have no idea if you thought it was anything special or not.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
oooof. I had no idea it was that long. I've heard it is really good. Obviously you gave it at least
This is true.
like every film you watch with no words so we have no idea if you thought it was anything special or not.
This is an extreme ****ing exaggeration.