Entertainment Value
0%
0 votes
Art Value
68.00%
17 votes
Both
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Most certainly entertainment. I can even be entertained by the artistic value of a film depending on the context. The main thing with a movie for me is that it's not boring. You could have a beautiful art film but I'd have alot of trouble respecting it if it was boring.

I watch for engagement. That's always necessarily a mix of intellectual stimulation and mere amusement, and obviously the best films engage on both levels.

If forced to choose (even thinking it's kind of a false choice), I'd say over the course of my life it's overwhelming for intellectual or aesthetic engagement, but that mere amusement has ramped up a lot over the last few years as I've gotten busier with other things, simply because it can take a lot out of me to intensely watch and analyze something, and it's difficult for me not to do that unless what I'm watching is specifically geared to be more disposable.

Most certainly entertainment. I can even be entertained by the artistic value of a film depending on the context. The main thing with a movie for me is that it's not boring. You could have a beautiful art film but I'd have alot of trouble respecting it if it was boring.
I don't mind if movies have some artistic value in it as long as it's entertaining. If it's just a bunch of people just talking and walking around the whole movie without nothing happened and all of a sudden something happens like the last 15 to 10 mins left of the movie, I hate when that happens, just like that movie American Hustle or The Conversation, imo they were just boring to me.

I watch for engagement. That's always necessarily a mix of intellectual stimulation and mere amusement, and obviously the best films engage on both levels.

If forced to choose (even thinking it's kind of a false choice), I'd say over the course of my life it's overwhelming for intellectual or aesthetic engagement, but that mere amusement has ramped up a lot over the last few years as I've gotten busier with other things, simply because it can take a lot out of me to intensely watch and analyze something, and it's difficult for me not to do that unless what I'm watching is specifically geared to be more disposable.
For engagement? you mean movies that look special sorry I didn't understand what you meant

To be engaged is to have something capture your attention or interest. Obviously that can be something transient like mere "entertainment," but it could also mean being really intellectually involved (like trying to guess how a movie will end, or analyzing its themes).

To be engaged is to have something capture your attention or interest. Obviously that can be something transient like mere "entertainment," but it could also mean being really intellectually involved (like trying to guess how a movie will end, or analyzing its themes).
Ah I see what you mean now

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
In my opinion - first it needs to entertain then can transcend into say education and if it’s really great, enlightenment. I believe this is Mel Gibson’s vision for his films. Primarily it is to entertain.

An example I can think of is The big short. Started with interesting entertaining characters and background delved deeper becoming informative to the viewer and then gave us food for thought about capitalism whilst all the time (imo) remaining entertaining. It’s a fine balance I guess, they did it well.

What Kind of Value do you mostly watch movies for?

It's an interesting question. I believe most people have other reasons to watch movies besides those listed. One prime reason is: Escapism I sometimes watch films to time travel to another place and time. I don't have a time machine but if I watch an old movie I'm watching real moments from many years ago, preserved on film. I'm talking old movies, from the start of the 20th century on.

I have other reasons to watch films too, of course...Film history is one reason. Exploration of a genre or of a director/actors work is another.

I look films that have moments where the actors can transcend the screen and make a direct connection to me. It rarely happens but when it does it's a goose bump moment.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, pretty girls are always a plus in movies

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
When we talk about artistic value, are we talking about subject matter/content, or the artistry put in the filmmaking such as cinematography, sound, etc?

Both. I can still go all artsy-farsty, but I wont normally try any movie just because its entertaining. If I dont have anything else to do, then maybe.

I voted both, but I kind of reject the dichotomy you presented. I don't think films exist in a binary state of artistic value and entertainment value. Artistic merit can in itself be entertaining, and there is an art to the construction of a film that is fun to watch. Hell, both of these categories are incredible subjective and only cover part of the totality of what film as a medium can do. I think that the marvel movies are pretty fun, while others might find them boring and lacking in emotional weight. I think that The Lobster is a pretty boring movie, and that boredom is actually to its benefit artistically, and makes me enjoy the movie more, but other people might find the films presentation to be fun, or might find that boredom to make in not worth the effort to engage with.

Put another way, I don't watch movies for any one specific thing or another. I watch movies because they can do so many different things, in so many different ways, and I enjoy the variety of enriching experiences the medium can provide. It's a fool's errand, in my opinion, to try and say 'this is what cinema is for!' in regards to anything, because there will always be something out there that doesn't do that, that is still fantastic. Limiting myself to just movies I find fun or just high art pieces seems like a great way to miss out on the wider potential of film, which can do both of those things, neither, or something else entirely, and still be worthwhile and valuable.

For entertainment.

I probably should clarify that I don't agree with the division. Entertainment to me comes from a holistic experience of the movie and thus implicitly includes artistic values as well (or perhaps even is the artistic value itself).

It really depends on the genre of film moreso than the actual film. I don't go into documentaries looking for the artistic value, I'm focused on hearing a good story. On the other hand I love horror films and the bar for which I watch and enjoy horror films is very low. If the horror film has a strong enough concept that's enough to draw me in. Then you get into animated films and the look and artistic elements play a huge role in my enjoyment of those films

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I watch movies for cute Japanese girls.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Neither. I have to watch a minimum amount per month as part of my parole conditions.