A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Yeah I saw Amityville for the first time 5 or 6 years ago and it didn’t leave much of an impression on me.

"Could you exorcise this mother****er to Cleveland someplace!"

There's been a recent reassessment of the second Amityville film, and I'm not really so convinced. Better than the third? Sure, what isn't? But all things considered, it's a pretty dull horror film with a dab of incest subtext.

Um, there sure are a whole lot of Amityville movies from the last 5 or 6 years

I think we can all agree, especially Crummy, that the Conjuring is the best Amityville Horror movie around.

Um, there sure are a whole lot of Amityville movies from the last 5 or 6 years
Haven't seen those, but there's a late sequel from the 90s by Tony Randel (Hellraiser 2) that I thought was pretty solid. And I think the one with Patty Duke and the lamp has fans.

Yeah I wasn't exaggerating when I said 25 sequels. I intend to watch all of them up to the mid-90s or so. I guess that would take me to part 5?

I saw the '05 remake at the behest of a lady friend but I don't think either of us liked it.

Ryan Reynolds has less than a feeling.

I didn’t hate the remake of Amityville and it feels more generic than assaultingly banal.

Everyone in it looks like a fashion model, which gives it a different kind of appeal.

Do I have to post the tighty-whitey pic again?

(btw, for safety sake, do not google image search Eddie Rabbitt/underwear. He's been appropriated by some very scary, naughty people.)

I remember as a child I had a movie review book, and the only ink it gave its write up of the original Amityville was "The Amityville Bore-or". I remember how offended I was that it relied on nothing but a terrible pun to justify its zero star rating. But now, looking back at it through a new cultural lens, and brushing away the cobwebs of nostalgia, I actually think it raised some essential points in its critical analysis

Do I have to post the tighty-whitey pic again?
Do I need to post Ry-Ry’s V cut abs? Cuz I will!

"Amityville Horrible" is the obvious way to go there.

I think we can all agree, especially Crummy, that the Conjuring is the best Amityville Horror movie around.

Well, I agree that the Conjuring is destined to be another movie the will be racing towards complete irrelevance within another generation or two. Definitely a strong kinship there.

Amityville, on the other hand, and as crappy as it is, will at least be some weird cultural artifact that plays like the kind of lousy ghost story someone you know might tell you. One that probably doesn't deserve a movie either, but might for a second seem like it does if they too were living in a murder house. It sort of becomes more a movie about people who claim to see ghosts, than the actual ghosts.

Well, I agree that the Conjuring is destined to be another movie the will be racing towards complete irrelevance within another generation or two. Definitely a strong kinship there.

Amityville, on the other hand, and as crappy as it is, will at least be some weird cultural artifact that plays like the kind of lousy ghost story someone you know might tell you. One that probably doesn't deserve a movie either, but might for a second seem like it does if they too were living in a murder house. It sort of becomes more a movie about people who claim to see ghosts, than the actual ghosts.
I assume they're doing the telling in their tighty whities.*

I assume they're doing the telling in their tighty whities.*
Do they have V cut abs though?

Do they have V cut abs though?
Yes, they were pointing down towards the tighty whities.

Wouldn't have noticed otherwise.