A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Starting today, I'm getting a free weekend of HBO Max. So what did I watch?
Amityville Horror '79. I make good decisions.

This, of course, is the story of Boston lead vocalist Brad Delp as he struggles to get along with his stepchildren.

It's a beautiful, heart shattering story.

#muchmorethanafeeling

Does this site have a policy of blocking images of tighty briefs?

*enter Stirchley to give me an inappropriately literal answer*

sigh

Jamse Brolin

Underwear

Hardboiled movie criticism.

The good old days.

This, of course, is the story of Boston lead vocalist Brad Delp as he struggles to get along with his stepchildren.

This movie is not good. But also good.

I hereby decry the above the hottest of takes.

On another note, it's Lucio Fulci's birthday!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!

*pokes Captain Terror in the eye*

On another note, it's Lucio Fulci's birthday!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!

*pokes Captain Terror in the eye*
Party at Rock's place! I'll bring a pinata filled with maggots. Later we can play Pin the Thumbtack on the Eyeball.

Party at Rock's place! I'll bring a pinata filled with maggots. Later we can play Pin the Thumbtack on the Eyeball.
No need to bring your own maggots, I have a cannon full of them.

*sprays maggots over everybody with no warning*

I can't wait to meet all of you. I'll be the one cosplaying as Bob.
Just behind this door while I get my axe...

Victim of The Night
Yep, a classic. Despite my trash-talking yesterday, I've actually given this and Brides identical ratings. I just like to promote Brides whenever I can because it's the underdog.

The key to enjoying Brides is to accept beforehand that the main vampire is kind of a weenie compared to Christopher Lee. I'll save my comments until you've seen it but for me it's all about a couple of other characters, and of course Cushing.
Ya know, I actually like ol' Baron Meinster. They may have mis-invoked the name of Dracula for this film but that doesn't mean the vampire they have isn't a good one. The way he runs his game on Marianne is pretty sinister.

Victim of The Night

Man, could he sing!

Ya know, I actually like ol' Baron Meinster. They may have mis-invoked the name of Dracula for this film but that doesn't mean the vampire they have isn't a good one. The way he runs his game on Marianne is pretty sinister.
Yeah, same here. I came around after a couple of viewings. There's just that first impression when you realize he's more Twilight than Nosferatu that I had to get over first.

So back to Amityville-- This was a Huge Deal when I was a kid. I remember fully-grown relatives losing their **** after seeing it. My uncle the electrician was terrified to enter people's attics as a result of this movie. The flies and red-eyed pigs (?) and so on were all vivid memories of mine from back then. So imagine my surprise when I realized during last night's viewing that....maybe I've never actually watched this before? I'd bet money that I saw an edited-for-tv version at some point in my childhood, but most of this was unfamiliar. All of this is just to point out how culturally important this thing was, important enough to convince people they've seen it when maybe they haven't. I mean, there's 25 sequels/remakes so...yeah. It was huge.

So-- with that much baggage attached it's hard for this thing to support the weight. I'm as inclined towards this sort of movie as anybody, but didn't really see anything remarkable here. Like we could just as easily have 25 Changeling or Burnt Offerings sequels as far as I'm concerned, not sure why we went ape over this one. (I realize there was a popular novel as well so maybe that's part of it)

(full disclosure: Around the 1:20 mark I decided that now was the perfect time to vacuum behind my couch, so that happened. So I can't say I gave it my full attention.) Maybe one day I'll give it another spin, now that my expectations have been adjusted. Certainly didn't hate it.

So back to Amityville-- This was a Huge Deal when I was a kid. I remember fully-grown relatives losing their **** after seeing it. My uncle the electrician was terrified to enter people's attics as a result of this movie. The flies and red-eyed pigs (?) and so on were all vivid memories of mine from back then. So imagine my surprise when I realized during last night's viewing that....maybe I've never actually watched this before? I'd bet money that I saw an edited-for-tv version at some point in my childhood, but most of this was unfamiliar. All of this is just to point out how culturally important this thing was, important enough to convince people they've seen it when maybe they haven't. I mean, there's 25 sequels/remakes so...yeah. It was huge.

So-- with that much baggage attached it's hard for this thing to support the weight. I'm as inclined towards this sort of movie as anybody, but didn't really see anything remarkable here. Like we could just as easily have 25 Changeling or Burnt Offerings sequels as far as I'm concerned, not sure why we went ape over this one. (I realize there was a popular novel as well so maybe that's part of it)

(full disclosure: Around the 1:20 mark I decided that now was the perfect time to vacuum behind my couch, so that happened. So I can't say I gave it my full attention.) Maybe one day I'll give it another spin, now that my expectations have been adjusted. Certainly didn't hate it.

I revisited the movie last year after not having seen it since I was a kid (which is not as far back as when you were a kid, but still a decent amount of time). It turned out all the parts I remembered were from the last ten minutes.* It's actually a bit endearing how dead set the movie is against anything interesting happening for the bulk of the runtime.*James Brolin can't find his envelope full of cash? Who cares? The movie, apparently.*