Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Considering they started making movies when they were teenagers and were likely working with minimal budgets the whole time, it is crazy how many they turned out.

Just like Fassbinder!

Even though I don't think Fassbinder was ever a teenager.

Just like Fassbinder!

Even though I don't think Fassbinder was ever a teenager.
Quantity over quality, my friend.

I say this having seen only one Fassbinder all the way through and nothing from the Polonia brothers.

Quantity over quality, my friend.
Sometimes I almost think this.

There is alot to be said for the Kubrickian sorts who agonize over ever detail to almost complete paralysis. But therr is something equally valuable to artists who just dump all their creative reflexes out on the table to be judged. Sure, the Fassbinders and P. Brothers may not produce masterpiece after masterpiece, but you end up having a different relationship with their movies because of it. Sometimes a better one

Those fussy for details might not proceed when all they had on hand was some air conditioning tubing and one Alka Seltzer tablet. But the Polonia Brothers make an entire set piece out of it. And block some potentially terrifying frontal nudity in the process.

Victim of The Night
Jeez, less than two weeks to submit the top foreign language film list. Anyone finished theirs? This is going to be brutal.....
How many do you have to submit?

And do I have to pick ONE of the Trois Couleurs Trilogy?

Victim of The Night
I will concede that Rogan is the world's foremost authority on hosting Fear Factor. I'm less interested in his opinions about other topics.

He reminds me of that one friend you have that watched a documentary once and condescendingly drops facts from it into every future conversation whenever possible. So many times one of his guests will be mid-sentence only to be interrupted with Joe's "did you know the Mayans invented that?" or whatever. Followed by an unnecessarily long tangent about that thing he once read about the Mayans, as the guest politely waits to get back to his original point.

I don't hate the guy, but I also don't understand how his opinions came to be so important to so many people.
I didn't know who he was until videos of him interviewing some fairly interesting people on what appeared to be radio started turning up in my feed. Those were generally pretty good. But that is to this day literally all I know of him.

I'm sure I can catch up if somebody just plays some banjo chase music.
You can put away the banjo.

I just think it's funny that it turns out that the worst person from NewsRadio wasn't Andy Dick.

I just think it's funny that it turns out that the worst person from NewsRadio wasn't Andy Dick.
How DARE you come after Khandi Alexander like that. She’s tv royalty!

I do also think there is a lot to be said for how he made his success on his own terms and was never beholden to others on who he could talk to or what he could say. And there is some legitimate value in this distinction. But, unfortunately, to far too many this alone translates as 'truth'. I guess it hasn't dawned on them that people can still lie or be stupid on their own individual, uncompromised terms. The interference of corporate interests into our thought pool is hardly the only concern out there in discourse. There are endless ways for garbage thoughts and misleading arguments to be spewed and echoed back by every person out there only half listening.
Right. Again, I don't hate him and his guests/topics are often interesting, I just don't want him to be my next president.

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS
How DARE you come after Khandi Alexander like that. She’s tv royalty!

You can put away the banjo.

I blame your invocation of banjo music for everything terrible that has happened.

And the media wants to pin blame on the under production of Mitch Marner. pffft. They know nothing.

I blame your invocation of banjo music for everything terrible that has happened.

And the media wants to pin blame on the under production of Mitch Marner. pffft. They know nothing.
My expert analysis is that they were doing well without anyone actually attending the games and started losing once there were people in the stands, so maybe they're just easily distracted.*

That being said, it is a sign of things slowly returning to normal that people got to see the Leafs lose in person.*

Sorry if I'm rubbing it in, I just really hate hockey fan culture in general and Leafs fan culture in particular, maybe because some of the most obnoxious people I knew growing up made it an integral part of their personality.*

My expert analysis is that they were doing well without anyone actually attending the games and started losing once there were people in the stands, so maybe they're just easily distracted.*

That being said, it is a sign of things slowly returning to normal that people got to see the Leafs lose in person.*

Sorry if I'm rubbing it in, I just really hate hockey fan culture in general and Leafs fan culture in particular, maybe because some of the most obnoxious people I knew growing up made it an integral part of their personality.*

I'm pretty sure Maple Leaf fans are in the running for the worst sports franchise fans anywhere in the world. And this has been lethally coupled with one of the most pathetically reactionary sports sections in the world (Toronto Sun). And then, once you factor in 40 years of the Leafs being one of the consistently worst big market teams in the world, it becomes a horribly toxic condition.

I haven't even looked at Twitter or much news today, just because I don't want to be aggravated by all of the frothing stupidity I know is out there right now. Part of me is glad they lost too, simply because so many of these people don't deserve to have a winning team.