Terminator 1 or 2, which one did you like the best?

Tools    

Terminator 1 or 2, which one did you like the best?
53.33%
32 votes
Terminator
46.67%
28 votes
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
60 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Those are good points. I guess I just like T2 better because I thought it had a bigger plot compared to the first one, where as the first one felt like it ended more suddenly and quickly in comparison.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
How is it that I'm just finding out about Linda Hamilton having a twin sister, and her appearing in T2 in 3 scenes??

Leslie Hamilton Frees

The sister is the back one in this scene, furthest away from focus.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Theyre both great but for different reasons. The first one was more horror and the second more action. If i had to pick just one it would be T2.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

The Terminator

It was a surprise. It is not only the original which scores a point over any sequel, but it was also a relatively original idea. In '84 it was a bolt from the blue. T2 was a "second helping" following the action formula of bigger, louder, and dumber.

It was effective. This is the first iteration of the Cameron Formula, that love story wrapped in an action movie that appeals to men and women (e.g., Titanic, Avatar). The Terminator, however, is unique in the formula. In this case, the love story doesn't just supervene on the action movie as something that might have a life of its own were it not for the disaster (e.g., Jack and Rose could have had their love story without the berg, Bud and Lindsay could have revived their marriage without rubbery water aliens), but the two are organically entwined and essential to the telling of the story. The love story is part of the mission. Our lovers are not only as star-crossed as Romeo and Juliet, but they are also in the grips of a closed-loop time-travel story. And what does T2 do? It wrecks this formal perfection

It was efficient. T1 is a masterclass in low-budget filmmaking. Cameron took everything he learned under Corman and made a visually impressive film. Where T2 (along with Jurassic Park) marks the point where CGI begins to definitively take the lead in SFX, T1 uses smoke, tinfoil, and rear-projection to its maximum effect. The only effects which are really dated are the stop-motion effects, but all stop-motion effects now look dated--in '84 that was a good as you could get it, and he got it fishing his imaginariam with a shoestring and a bag of technical tricks.

T1 doesn't have a whiny lil' b***h. I'm afraid that I must concur with Skynet. John Connor must die.

T1 doesn't have the clunky lines. The Terminator in T2 says, "I have detailed files" in a take that should have landed on the cutting room floor. But it didn't. T2 has more cringey s**t in it.

T2 "Fonzies" the Terminator. The inception of the character Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli was a biker dude who would steal your girls, kick your ass, and then change your song on the juke box just by hitting it. After Happy Days jumped the shark, Fonzie was wearing an apron and baking cookies with Mrs. C. Likewise, the original Terminator was a relentless, soulless, remorseless machine. In T2 he's pluck comic relief.

Look, I get that the valuation of cinema is slippery and subjective and that what we see in this thread are "dueling memberberries," which are more likely to show one's age (were you a kid when you saw T1 or was T2 your first experience of the franchise at the cinema?) and yeah, you either liked one or the other better. I get that and I don't want to pass judgment on that. But I'll still stab you in the neck if you pick T2.

I preferred the second one because it's one of the few sequels I have seen that didn't go anywhere I expected it to and didn't try to recreate things from the first film and the final scene destroyed me.

I much prefer the first one.

As I've said before, despite being R-rated, I do consider Terminator 2 as the herald for family-friendly, PG-13 action movies that have ruled the box office for far too long. It's not a bad film, but I've never understood the worship and "the best action movie ever" hype. Oh, and I also agree with @Yoda 's rant above.

I haven't seen the sequel in I don't know how long, but this is mostly my sentiment. I know a big part of the worship is, "special effects watershed moment in summer blockbuster history," phenomenon that includes things like Star Wars and then Jurassic Park, but I've also never fully understood the love adults have for those movies either.

Definitely, the second one.

A system of cells interlinked
Corax's comments pretty much sum up my views on the question this thread asks.

The Terminator is pure tech-noir, and the terminator is terrifying. T2, while I do like it, is where they started pushing the terminator himself into comedic territory, which has sadly ended up with him being a solemn country boy with a drapery business (!?!?!?!)

A drapery hanging terminator is where we end up when we start reiterating ideas into worse and worse simulacra.

This is down to the wire. I enjoy both, but voted for Terminator 1. I like that it was more minimalist, focusing on suspense and horror. Terminator 2 added a lot of action, special effects and set pieces to make it entertaining and have mass appeal.

Even though I like T1 better, I think it's a good thing that T1 took a different direction rather than trying to be exactly like the first one. Each film in a franchise should have it's own identity.

Top 5 movie related questions I can't answer;
1. T1 or T2 - Tough one
2. GF1 or GF2 - Tough one, I would probably pick the 2nd one
3. Die Hard or With a Vengeance - Tough one
4. Alien or Aliens -
5. Raging Bull or Rocky - I have never see Raging Bull

T2 is sci-fi-action so not on my all time action/action list.
1. T1 or T2 - Tough one
2. GF1 or GF2 - Tough one, I would probably pick the 2nd one
3. Die Hard or With a Vengeance - Tough one
4. Alien or Aliens - Tough one
5. Raging Bull or Rocky - I have never see Raging Bull, only seen Rocky

Question #10 - Die Hard vs. Terminator vs. Godfather vs. Aliens?

Go with Die Hard on this one

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Top 5 movie related questions I can't answer;
1. T1 or T2
2. GF1 or GF2
3. Die Hard or With a Vengeance
4. Alien or Aliens
5. Raging Bull or Rocky
1. Like I said here in the thread, T1 without hesitation
2. Definitely tougher, but I might give an edge to the first one.
3. Pfff, Die Hard easily. I don't even like Vengeance that much.
4. 20 years ago, it was Aliens. Now, it's Alien, but I love both.
5. Both are due for a rewatch, but I feel it goes to Rocky?

The trick is not minding
1. T1
2. GF 1, but it’s close.
3. Die Hard
4. Aliens. First Alien is only ok.
*ducks*
5. Raging Bull. Not even close. Not a fan of Rocky, although Carl Weathers should have gotten a Oscar nod

Not a fan of Rocky, although Carl Weathers should have gotten a Oscar nod

He definitely deserved it.

Every person in that movies deserves one too though.

Everyone.

Even that bum Spider Rico.

The trick is not minding
He definitely deserved it.

Every person in that movies deserves one too though.

Everyone.

Even that bum Spider Rico.

Maybe not Burt Young. His performance was rather…..grating…

Maybe not Burt Young. His performance was rather…..grating…

Burt Young should have got all the Oscars. Even before everyone else in it gets all the Oscars.

His performance is my favorite in the whole movie. The whole franchise! Especially when he falls in love with a robot!

The trick is not minding
Burt Young should have got all the Oscars. Even before everyone else in it gets all the Oscars.

His performance is my favorite in the whole movie. The whole franchise! Especially when he falls in love with a robot!
Ok, you got me with the love affair with the robot. Guess I’m just a softy for a forbidden romance.

The trick is not minding
AI image of Burt Young and robot have a baby

Twins! Fraternal even. One looks like momma, and the other…..well, let’s just says Burt Young may want to look into a paternity test on this one.