Steve Freeling's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
One of the big events of my childhood was seeing Poltergeist for the first time at seven years old. I saw it on a 4:3 set on a by-now very old DVD in my parents' bedroom, after my mom had recently come home from the hospital after surgery. One night, my dad came home from the library with some DVDs, and one of them was Poltergeist.
I popped it into the DVD player without hesitation because I'd wanted to see it since I was five. I knew from the moment it started, Poltergeist was going to be a great movie, but little did I know it would become my favorite movie of all time, and I'd want to experience it again and again.

Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams star in this classic as Steve and Diane Freeling, who live with their three children, sixteen-year-old Dana (Dominique Dunne), eight-year-old Robbie (Oliver Robins), and five-year-old Carol Anne (Heather O'Rourke) in Cuesta Verde, CA, soon learn that their home is haunted, and also that the spirits talk to Carol Anne through their television. Everything seems normal at first. Dana gives construction workers the finger and talks on the phone later than she's supposed to, Robbie is a huge Star Wars fan, and Carol Anne feeds her goldfish an entire tube of food. One night, a tree tries to eat Robbie, but Steve quickly saves him. When the ghosts kidnap Carol Anne through the closet, they are forced to fight the evil spirit that holds their daughter if they ever want to see her again.
Well-acted, well-written, and well-directed, with great special effects, Poltergeist is the greatest ghost story put on film.
Let's start with the acting. The performances are top-notch. The way lines are said, the facial expressions, body language, everything about the characters feels real.
Craig T. Nelson plays Steve, a husband and father who's willing to do anything to save his family, so believably, nothing about it feels fake. JoBeth Williams plays Diane, a distraught mother, so believably, you'll believe what's happening on screen is hurting her. Heather O'Rourke gives the best performance by a five-year-old ever. Zelda Rubinstein is also great. It doesn't even seem like they're acting. The special effects still hold up, because they still look real. The plot is still very original, because it's set in modern suburban America, and it's about a normal family that loves each other, rather than an abusive husband and father. Poltergeist is so well-written that nobody has to die, nor does it have to be gory to keep us on the edge of our seats. Spielberg and Hooper keep it subtle by hardly showing the ghosts. Poltergeist features a great plot, great acting, great directing, and great writing. I can't recommend Poltergeist enough.
Poltergeist
is a kid's movie, so it's not all that scary, though there are scenes that may scare you or creep you out, but you won't be scarred for life. In the end it really is a fun thrill ride. Poltergeist is a movie every kid must see by the time they're eight years old. For some reason, I find myself trying to hold back tears every time I see it.

Poltergeist
is my favorite movie of all time, it is a timeless classic, and it still holds up after over thirty years because it remains a thrilling, warmhearted, and poignant movie experience. Poltergeist tells the story of a family nothing can tear apart. It's a classic good versus evil story, a story of perseverance in spite of your worst fears coming to light, and holding it together in spite of everything seeming to fall apart. It's about never giving up hope. When I watched Craig T. Nelson, I saw my dad on that screen, and I see him on that screen even more now. When I watched JoBeth Williams, I saw my mom on that screen, and I see her on that screen even more now. I know you're probably worried because of things you've read online about it being scary, gory, or boring, but don't be. Gory? Never. Scary? Not at all. Boring? Don't make me laugh. Despite everything that happens, there's a sense of hope, a warmth, that stays the entire movie, and honestly, I think that's what keeps us coming back. Poltergeist has a heart, and that's why it still holds up all these years after its release.

Poltergeist is good. It's not a favourite of mine, but I really like it. TN, I'd certainly recommend you give it a try as there's plenty there to like.

Poltergeist is excellent, but i'm one of the few who prefers Poltergeist 2 which i see is your second favourite. Mainly because of Reverand Kane who i was terrified of as a child.

And I'm one of the very, VERY few who prefers Poltergeist III.

Poltergeist II was good, though. Very funny the way they treated Zelda Rubinstein's "Tangina" character. I'd rather watch the sequels more than the first film.

Greatest Sidekick Ever
Poltergeist was a very good film. I believe it has the most entertaining cheap thrills in horror movies ever. Am greatly saddened by the fact that it's sequels were pure garbage and it clearly prolonged it's stay in cinema in a totally bad way. But still, the original was truly a classic and one of the best horror films ever in my opinion.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Not a big fan of Poltergiest if ime honest. I only seen it for the first time a couple of years back but it bored the life out of me.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Poltergeist was a very good film. I believe it has the most entertaining cheap thrills in horror movies ever. Am greatly saddened by the fact that it's sequels were pure garbage and it clearly prolonged it's stay in cinema in a totally bad way. But still, the original was truly a classic and one of the best horror films ever in my opinion.
Your sentence was pure garbage

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
OK, I watched Poltergeist. Obviously this doesn't have the nostalgia factor for me as it does for a lot of other people, seeing as I watched it for the first time yesterday, and spent a lot of the film marvelling in horror at the 80s decor. It wasn't really my kind of movie. I don't really enjoy being scared by scary movies, and I find stuff about missing children upsetting, but if you don't mind those things, then I can see how you would like it a lot. I appreciated a lot of the things you mention in your review about how they stick together as a family, how nobody has to die - quite refreshing to see a horror movie that isn't about the kill count. I really don't think my kids would like it, though!