R.I.P. Senator John McCain

Tools    

A class act all the way. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I would call him many things, many of which probably wouldn't be appropriate, especially for the thread like this. I guess it all depends are you beneath the respectful bombs or not.

I have no problem calling him a HERO!
I have no problem calling him many things, hero is not one of them. Good riddance

I'd have to be really confident in my opinion about something to decide to withhold even general sympathy for the deceased over it. I tend to reserve that for people who are unambiguously wrong or bad, as opposed to just "this person seemed to honestly hold understandable positions I didn't agree with."

There's a pretty big difference between feeling obligated to praise the dead just because they've died, and extending naked tribalism beyond even the grave.

I liked John McCain as person. I almost voted for him once. Was he a hero? I don't know, he seemed like a decent human and in my book that's my important.
His military service: his volunteering for combat duty in Viet Nam even though he didn't have to, his enduring torture that left him permanently crippled after being shot down & captured, his refusal to leave a horrendous POW camp because he was an Admiral's son (since he knew it would be used by the enemy for propaganda), but instead chose to stay with his fellow prisoners for the duration mark him as a hero.

I didn't always agree with some of his politics, but I did vote for him in 2008.

The truth is in here
I honestly don't think his positions were understandable.

I don't feel any contempt against him, as much as I didn't like him. I don't think he deserved such a horrible disease. It would have to be a really evil person for me to say it was "for the better", but even then I never tend to make a huge show about it.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I'd have to be really confident in my opinion about something to decide to withhold even general sympathy for the deceased over it. I tend to reserve that for people who are unambiguously wrong or bad, as opposed to just "this person seemed to honestly hold understandable positions I didn't agree with."

There's a pretty big difference between feeling obligated to praise the dead just because they've died, and extending naked tribalism beyond even the grave.
He supported bombing of my country without a UN permission, he supported a group called KLA (wanted by USA for many years, and on their list as a criminal organization, so it's not "my version of the story"),

"The United States risks losing a war with the Serbian army and their obsolete equipment. We risk if we do not carry out massive, strategic and sustainable air strikes. No infrastructure target should be an exception - factories, water supply networks, schools, hospitals, shops, anything. Yes, we all regret the civilian casualties as well as our losses, but they are inevitable" - McCain said.

So yes, I'm strongly confident he should carry all his pain beyond the grave. I know my corner of the world is smaller than a smallest part of Texas, but people still do live here, and you wont find much sympathy for him. I avoided replying to anyone as it's a strong theme for a conversation, and I can already see in which direction such a discussion would go, and I don't want to go around saying America did this, and America did that...

He supported bombing of my country without a UN permission, he supported a group called KLA (wanted by USA for many years, and on their list as a criminal organization, so it's not "my version of the story"),

"The United States risks losing a war with the Serbian army and their obsolete equipment. We risk if we do not carry out massive, strategic and sustainable air strikes. No infrastructure target should be an exception - factories, water supply networks, schools, hospitals, shops, anything. Yes, we all regret the civilian casualties as well as our losses, but they are inevitable" - McCain said.

So yes, I'm strongly confident he should carry all his pain beyond the grave. I know my corner of the world is smaller than a smallest part of Texas, but people still do live here, and you wont find much sympathy for him. I avoided replying to anyone as it's a strong theme for a conversation, and I can already see in which direction such a discussion would go, and I don't want to go around saying America did this, and America did that...
He was also anti lgbt, anti choice and anti people having healthcare. Trump has really lowered the bar that he's considered this great guy now. Wonder what the reaction is going to be when that pos Bush croaks

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The guy wanted to bomb countries that no longer existed, or maybe never existed... It's odd how the political parties do complete 180's, though. Actually, it isn't odd - it's become the norm. Ideology seems to not matter anymore as much as the outcomes of favored name brands

"Anti choice" is pure rhetoric. Pro-choice and pro-life are good terms because they accurately describe what each side prioritizes over the other. To describe a pro-life person as "anti choice" is the same as describing a pro-choice person as "anti baby."

anti people having healthcare.
Ah yes, who can forget all those videos of McCain standing outside hospitals yelling at sick people for getting well.

Much like "anti choice," this is another example of actively misrepresenting what someone believes (and why). McCain, didn't think mandating coverage (or subsidizing it in certain ways) was the best way to go about providing health care. A lot of other people think that, too, and ya' know what? They've got some pretty good arguments to that effect.

Granted, representing those arguments accurately, with the appropriate amount of nuance, won't allow you to say something pithy and biting like "anti people having healthcare," but that's what's required if you actually want to fairly describe opposing beliefs.

Trump has really lowered the bar that he's considered this great guy now.
Nah, he was considered a great guy long before. It's more that the other side's bar has been raised, and almost entirely along the axis of "did this person agree with all the things I believe enough?"

Wonder what the reaction is going to be when that pos Bush croaks
I kinda wish I'd read this first, since it's flippant enough to make me doubt that a productive or thoughtful discussion is going to be possible. Oh well.

His military service: his volunteering for combat duty in Viet Nam even though he didn't have to, his enduring torture that left him permanently crippled after being shot down & captured, his refusal to leave a horrendous POW camp because he was an Admiral's son (since he knew it would be used by the enemy for propaganda), but instead chose to stay with his fellow prisoners for the duration mark him as a hero
Couldn’t agree more. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.