Rank the works of Michael Mann

Tools    

So I just saw Blackhat which is easily one of the best films I've seen all year. Hell, it might even be one of the best I've seen from this decade. Seems pretty divisive but I thought it was very nearly a masterpiece.

I know Lucas is also a huge fan but I'd like to know who else is familiar and likes his work

Personally I'd rank his movies thusly:

1. Blackhat
2. Manhunter
3. Heat
4. Collateral
5. Thief
6. The Insider
7. Miami Vice

So far Mann has only disappointed me with Miami Vice, the rest all range from pretty good to great. I thought he wouldn't be able to top Manhunter but he's gone and totally outdone himself.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He's got style to burn, crams his films with technical acumen as far as props and sets, and can no longer tell a coherent story although it's never been a strong point.

The Last of the Mohicans
Collateral
Heat
Thief
Manhunter
Ali
The Insider
Blackhat
Public Enemies
Miami Vice
The Keep

You liked Blackhat? I heard it was a disaster! Now you are making me want to watch it
It's a disaster if all that you're looking for is a straightforward narrative. And who cares about narrative

Always like Mr.Mann !

1- Heat
2- Public Ennemies
3- Manhunter
4- The Last of the Mohicans
5- Collateral

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Heat
Manhunter
Last Of The Mohicans
Collateral
The Insider
Miami Vice
Thief

I just watched Blackhat, I probably never would have if it wasn't for people like BlueLion and Lucas around here. I thought it was a great film, and I really don't understand some of the scathing reviews and such low IMDb score that it has. Even if you didn't enjoy it, it still seems to be unfairly treated.

I wouldn't say the narrative isn't straightforward, although I have a couple of ideas why people really didn't like it. A minor one is the use of subtitles, and the major one would be the technological talk.

I know it uses quite a bit of computer jargon and that, but it really isn't that hard to understand, even if you don't completely understand what a certain thing is, or a word means, it explains things pretty clearly so that you know what's going on. You may have never used a linux computer, downloaded a PDF or heard of a keylogger, but its quite obvious that the guy has been sent a file with something in it to track what he types. It annoys me these days that people still seem really oblivious to some of these thing, or unwilling to learn. I just read a load of people say it seems unrealistic as well, but I never really thought that, it seemed for most the part fairly plausible to me, and even if you overlook little details it's easy to see that Mann is trying to deal with cyber terrorism on a larger scale than a few small incidents.

I liked the mixture of technology and violence, and some of sequences like that tunnel shoot out, the radiation retrieval part and the festival towards the end, were fantastic to watch. It kind of debunks the myth of what a computer hacker may be, and looks at it in a much more dangerous, and harmful way that goes beyond 'sad people'.

I liked the performances, I thought the romance stuff was a little corny at first, especially mixed in with the score. But it grew on me and became powerful by the end. Visually it also frustrated me at first, the handheld camera gives a real digital feel, and although I've seen it with people like Greengrass, this felt different, more cleaner and definitely unique. I like how Mann combined normal shots of different people within spaces and mixed this up with focus on specific objects, weapons, tools, computers. All the action, whether it be hacking or actual violence, all seemed coherent and respectful towards the viewer to me, far from what some reviews would have you believe.

I don't think it's a perfect film, there are a couple of liberties taken that you would expect from such a film, but I enjoyed it a lot, and I am close to calling it a great one, for now I give it
and I look forward to watching some more Mann films.

Visually it also frustrated me at first, the handheld camera gives a real digital feel, and although I've seen it with people like Greengrass, this felt different, more cleaner and definitely unique.
I think visually Blackhat might just be Mann's most impressive work, especially when you consider the films he shot on digital. You mentioned that you found Blackhat frustrating at first but that's how I felt about Miami Vice the whole time (that is the only time when Mann completely missed the mark for me), thankfully here that wasn't the case. There are lots of shots in Blackhat that feel really poetic. Mann uses handheld quite a lot these days but his visuals and color palette are more striking than any other modern director's. I think Greengrass compared to Mann is really weak and they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I also agree on the fight sequences, which are some of the more stunning I've seen in recent times. Glad you liked it Daniel.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The performances in Blackhat are godawful. Mann cares much more about the graphics displaying the inner workings of computers and the internet or staging some elaborate set-piece which borders on incomprehensible than having a character who seems he/she lives on planet Earth.

I think visually Blackhat might just be Mann's most impressive work, especially when you consider the films he shot on digital. You mentioned that you found Blackhat frustrating at first but that's how I felt about Miami Vice the whole time (that is the only time when Mann completely missed the mark for me), thankfully here that wasn't the case. There are lots of shots in Blackhat that feel really poetic. Mann uses handheld quite a lot these days but his visuals and color palette are more striking than any other modern director's. I think Greengrass compared to Mann is really weak and they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I also agree on the fight sequences, which are some of the more stunning I've seen in recent times. Glad you liked it Daniel.
I mentioned Greengrass because he uses mobile cameras and I don't think he's interested visually at all, and it's remarkable how Mann manages to capture some of the images he does with what seems to be such a mobile camera, it feels like its filmed by just one man following everyone around with a camera, but it works very well.

The performances in Blackhat are godawful. Mann cares much more about the graphics displaying the inner workings of computers and the internet or staging some elaborate set-piece which borders on incomprehensible than having a character who seems he/she lives on planet Earth.
`

I think "godawful" is very harsh. I don't particularly like/dislike Hesworth but I thought he was a sensible choice and fine for the part, the romance was maybe a bit rushed but I thought it was understandable, the man's been in prison for so long so I don't think it's that unplausible that he would fall for her when he gets out. I don't think the actors did anything wrong, and I found myself emotionally invested at certain times. There was just a lot going on, lots of time, lots of places, so only certain scenes can be shown to tell the story without focusing too much on it.

1. Thief
2. Heat
3. Manhunter
4. Collateral
5. The Insider

Blackhat was terrible, and Public Enemies was decent but disappointing.

This might just do nobody any good.
It’s got better closing credits music than Silence but that’s it (and i love Manhunter).