Is Quentin Tarantino One Of The 10 Best Directors Of All-Time?

Tools    

Is Quentin Tarantino A Top Ten Director?
24.35%
28 votes
Yes
54.78%
63 votes
No
20.87%
24 votes
Maybe One Day
115 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Tarantino is not just one of the best directors, but one of the greatest screenwriters in the history of film.

I'm one of his biggest fans!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Billy Wilder and John Huston are great screenwriters/directors. Wilder may have been stronger as a scripter (and Tarantino could certainly learn from him), while Huston may have been a bit stronger as a director. The thing is that I'm not sure that any of the people voting Yes here even know anything about these guys. They even actually transcended genres and perhaps even invented a few of their own.

I'm sorry Plainview, but I dislike Four Rooms, and Tarantino's episode especially, even though it has a solid ending (which he stole, of course). Maybe if he cut out 10 minutes of swearing beforehand he would have had something.

Maybe if he cut out 10 minutes of swearing beforehand he would have had something.
Editing really isn't Tarantino's strong point, though is it. I think he gets more indulgent with every film. I'd be very interested to see him work with some real restrictions (be it genre or length.)

Editing not his strong suit? It made Pulp Fiction what it was, as much as any other single factor, I think. I'm impressed that he can make long films that don't lag. It almost doesn't even make sense to me, but when I watch them, I'm still entertained.

All that said, I'm lukewarm on Four Rooms as a whole, and I agree with Mark on Tarantino's segment. I really like the setup and I love the payoff, but it is a bit too long.

Obviously the editing is about a lot more than the non-linear narrative, though that's probably one of the things that puts it over the top for me, anyway. I'm not sure I can parse it down more than that, since so many of the elements compliment one another.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's debatable as to whether or not his films have been more poorly edited over time (I'll say no, but I can see why someone would say that based on Basterds), I certainly don't think it was a weak point of his earlier on.

I think he's good but he's too ingrained in popular culture to make a fair objective assessment on his limited body of work. He's certainly not Top 10 yet and will have to put a far more substantial body of work before being considered. The thing that sums him up for me is the ending of Basterds, looking at the camera saying "i think this may just be my masterpiece". Apparently QT was meant to play the character saying that, as if it wasn't subtle enough already.

Maybe because Inglourious Basterds is a film lovers wet dream. Throughout the whole thing it discusses cinema entertainingly, while rewriting WWII, what more could you ask for?

Director = No

Writer/Director = Yes

Tarantino puts it best himself when he compares himself to one of the greatest directors of his generation, David Fincher. Credit to him for the way he works. The people above putting too much emphasis on the amount of films he's made are unwittingly prodding his greatest associate. It's takes time when you sit down in front of a blank sheet of paper.

hmmm maybe one day he will be but not yet, at least.

He is a great writer, that's for sure and his greatness in writing influences his directing. maybe many of you will agree with this, at the heart of every great film is a great story. That's Quentin's edge, he can create a great story with great characters and as i've said, it influences his directing.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Inglourious Basterds are examples of his ability to see things from the perspective of the characters and then take the audience through those points of views.

Three films are too few, however, to prove his greatness. Let's wait and see.

Absolutely not!

And I'm amazed how many of you don't name directors outside of the United States when naming a top10. Plus, David Fincher, Danny Boyle or Christopher Nolan are at the same rank as Tarantino: amazing directors, but not worthy of being at a top10 directors of all time, by far. You guys forget cinema exists for more than 100 years now, and you should name directors such as Welles (named already), Godard, Truffaut, Eisenstein, Howard Hawks, John Ford, Fritz Lang or even Charlie Chaplin, to name a few. Tarantino is a small pastiche director compared to these masters of cinema.

Absolutely not!

And I'm amazed how many of you don't name directors outside of the United States when naming a top10. Plus, David Fincher, Danny Boyle or Christopher Nolan are at the same rank as Tarantino: amazing directors, but not worthy of being at a top10 directors of all time, by far. You guys forget cinema exists for more than 100 years now, and you should name directors such as Welles (named already), Godard, Truffaut, Eisenstein, Howard Hawks, John Ford, Fritz Lang or even Charlie Chaplin, to name a few. Tarantino is a small pastiche director compared to these masters of cinema.
Agreed.

+ Rep

But on the other hand it's important not to penalise a director just because there body of work is not finished and/or they're not dead. We're all guilty of wrapping old flicks in cotton wool from time to time as we remember certain 'classics' through rose tinted glasses and the nostalgia of times gone by washes over us as we think of them. For example Blade Runner, Star Wars, Alien, the terminator and other 80s Sci-Fis have left a larger impression on me as time has past and I realise how big a part sci-fi was to my life back then etc.

You have to step back from the different levels of personal retention (including your own preferences at times) when compiling a list of top directors. I hate Tarantino flicks, his tastes just don't translate to me, but I can appreciate his ability as a director.

A system of cells interlinked
Absolutely not!

I'm surprised too, especially since no one has listed their Top 10 directors here, so just exactly where are you getting this information? Did you reconcile names from the posts in this thread against people's choices in another thread or something?

Also, who forgot cinema has been around for over 100 years?

When a newish member starts leveling claims against the other members of the forum in broad, sweeping terms, it usually means they haven't taken much time to get to know many of the other members...

This site is global, and there are PLENTY of members that adore directors from all across the planet.

Agreed.

+ Rep

But on the other hand it's important not to penalise a director just because there body of work is not finished and/or they're not dead. We're all guilty of wrapping old flicks in cotton wool from time to time as we remember certain 'classics' through rose tinted glasses and the nostalgia of times gone by washes over us as we think of them. For example Blade Runner, Star Wars, Alien, the terminator and other 80s Sci-Fis have left a larger impression on me as time has past and I realise how big a part sci-fi was to my life back then etc.

You have to step back from the different levels of personal retention (including your own preferences at times) when compiling a list of top directors. I hate Tarantino flicks, his tastes just don't translate to me, but I can appreciate his ability as a director.

I know what you mean, but like I told before, Tarantino is a pastiche director. Well he's a great screenwriter, an indeed creative mind, but aside Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, his films aren't of much significance (and he seems to keep using the same formula of those two mentioned).

I won't say Fincher won't get back on track though (Benjamin Button and Social Network were quite disappointing, and too focused on the Oscars - which I hate), since Se7en, Fight Club, and the way he slapped James Cameron on the face with Aliens 3, were completely brilliant.

As for other modern directors whom I would have no problem in naming them for a top10 (even if not yet - but they seem to be on the good path) I'd say, to name some, Todd Haynes, Andrei Zvyagintsev, Lars Von Trier, or ok, even Christopher Nolan (Inception didn't awe me, but I recognize it was good).

I'm surprised too, especially since no one has listed their Top 10 directors here, so just exactly where are you getting this information? Did you reconcile names from the posts in this thread against people's choices in another thread or something?

Also, who forgot cinema has been around for over 100 years?

When a newish member starts leveling claims against the other members of the forum in broad, sweeping terms, it usually means they haven't taken much time to get to know many of the other members...

This site is global, and there are PLENTY of members that adore directors from all across the planet.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound arrogant. I'm new here, yes (I've told it on some other post), and by any means I was implying the other members are ignorant towards global cinema. I only argued no one was mentioning directors outside USA or from more than 20 years ago in this topic.
Once again, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound arrogant. I'm new here, yes (I've told it on some other post), and by any means I was implying the other members are ignorant towards global cinema. I only argued no one was mentioning directors outside USA or from more than 20 years ago in this topic.
Once again, I'm sorry.
other threads talk about other directors, movies from other countries, cinema history, etc. this thread's topic is "IS QUENTIN TARANTINO ONE OF THE...", that's why people were just talking about Quentin.

just look around and you will find lots of topic that will interest you.

2) I find it hard to consider post-modernists the best of anything
They're at least better than all of modernism. *snicker, snicker*

I think this is a rather good point, since he works on the level of pastiche and homage, which is pretty different than most directors currently cited as the top directors. I find most of these figures come off as impressive largely because of their maintenance on their own hermetic aesthetic systems (Bergman, Kubrick, Ozu, Godard, etc).

Also, the whole idea of a top 10 list is a just another petty, modernist bid for hegemony. pfft.

Absolutely not!

It would be tricky for those three directors to go down in the top 10, if they do, then there next films would have to be better and bigger than ever. Welles probably influenced most of if not all of hollywood's directors today. Spielberg & Kubrick i would put in a top 10 greatest directors list.