Jay Baruchel

Tools    

So it seems like he's in everything these days, and he almost is! Kind of rivaling Nic Cage, even She's Out of My League, How to Train Your Dragon and The Sorcerer's Apprentice are some pretty big movies for him. Thoughts on him?

I thought he did okay in Tropic Thunder, and I remember him from this little movie called I'm Reed Fish from awhile ago (interesting movie, kind of really liked it).

The first time I noticed Baruchel was in "Undeclared" (2001-2002), Judd Apatow's college-set quickly-canceled follow-up to the quickly-canceled high school-set "Freaks & Geeks". It wasn't quite as rich and filled with potential as "F&G", but it was a good show. Jay was the main character in that ensemble and carried it well, despite being only twenty. Not too long after "Undeclared" was unrenewed, he showed up in that highlighted supporting role in Eastwood's Oscar-winner Million Dollar Baby (2003) as the mentally-challenged but self-confident would-be boxer "Danger" Barch.

He got to star in the indie I'm Reed Fish (2006) but had his most noticeable roles in support of Apatow's Knocked Up (2007), the Michael Cera vehicle Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008) and Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder (2008). Now he's starring in mainstream efforts like the desperately-wannabe-Apatow knock-off She's Out of My League (2010) and the dreadful-looking Disney project Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) alongside Nic Cage at his most embarrassing. Lending his voice to the main character in the surprise smash hit and critical darling How to Train Your Dragon (2010) has probably done the most for his career this year, especially if DreamWorks decides to adapt more of the books into 3D animated extravaganzas.

He's a decent young everyman presence on screen for me. He hasn't exhibited much range, nor do I suspect he's capable of a whole lot at this point. I'm sure he only gets the scripts that Michael Cera, Jesse Eisenberg and Shia LaBeouf have already turned down (he may be still be half a thought ahead of Christopher "McLovin'"Mintz-Plasse for most casting directors), but he's got the potential to hang around for a while. Especially if he doesn't fall into making more movies with the likes of Jerry Bruckheimer and instead can find quirkier and smaller material. In that males under-30 pecking order, I like Baruchel less than both Eisenberg or Cera, but a good deal more than LaBeouf and eons ahead of Edward the vampire or Jacob the werewolf.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra