No Man's Sky

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Awful framerate for me. I'd been able to run it flawlessly at Ultra before.

I'm out until it's fixed.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Awful framerate for me. I'd been able to run it flawlessly at Ultra before.

I'm out until it's fixed.
It's also crashing loads on console. Oops.
Yeah plenty of horror stories about. Doubled down for Rift VR as you have to run it via SteamVR on top of the Oc software. Much talk of terrible performance, with bonus weird stories of ghostly rotating heads and missing hands

Will give it a go tonight but expecting a rough ride.

A system of cells interlinked
Bad frames in normal play or just VR?

Bad frames in normal play or just VR?
I'm playing in normalR.

It's a stuttery, unoptimised mess on all platforms seemingly. A real shame.

I pushed on a bit further on PS4 and they seem to be doubling down on base building, which is a personal real shame as I don't like the way they implement that part of the game.

Have just made it to the first space station so .... only another hour or so until I get to the Anomaly? I'll get there if it kills me, but it's tough, gloopy going - Framerate on the console has never been great and each graphical update the game has had has pushed it further south.

It's only hard crashed once on PS4 though/ Small mercies and all that.

Well ****, I was getting good rates on my PC mostly dialed to ultra...I will report my results when i get a chance to log in, hopefully later this eve.

There's probably a fair bit of squeaky wheel syndrome on Reddit etc. Seeing more people bob up for air with positive experiences now. Probably loads of bespoke kits throwing curveballs as usual, alongside the usual launch kludge. Will report back in a bit too o7

Well ****, I was getting good rates on my PC mostly dialed to ultra...I will report my results when i get a chance to log in, hopefully later this eve.
Let us know how you get on.

It could well be that my GPU, which is basically a 60s muscle car compared to modern cards, is the problem.

I usually end up changing it whenever a particular game just doesn't run well enough, but NMS ain't gonna be the game to push me over the edge.

NPCs on space stations now move around instead of being rooted to the spot like an extra in Morrowind (2001).

Little things like that impress me more than they should.

Well it runs in VR

Luckily I'd read the solution to the key issue already. The FPS setting was capped at 60fps (probably a legacy from flatscreen days). VR needs 90fps to shine really, so yeah, there's been issues around the place

That said my machine was still definitely struggling, and I'm gonna need to do a lotttt of tinkering.

But I just got my ship working, and I enjoyed some great 'Away Team' views & vibes despite the fuzzy horizon & occasional screen melting. I'm def staying in standard mode while I get my head around everything though. I managed to anger this guy about 5 minutes into my first attempt

^^click for (slightly) better quality ^^

Which was pretty fricking intense

If I can get the graphics/performance nexus in a place I'm comfy with, I could see this being pretty grand

WARNING: "Here is some VR stuff which doesn't really pertain to anyone so I'll put in spoilers" spoilers below

* The core motion stuff just works. It's controller relative. I'm very happy

* The flying controls are prettty meh at the moment, even though the 'looking around the cockpit' stuff, and 'flying past planets at speed' is grand. I feel like it needs a deadzone option to tighten up the stick. Currently I'm having the classic 'fist in my chest to pull back' exaggerated control zone issue, but with no feeling of fine control even with that range.

* The grab is both pragmatic and clunky. A line attaches to the desired object, and then you can grab / open it from range. Which is fine, and practical. But the 'I desire that object, not THAT object' interface is... well impenetrable. At the moment I think it's based on which thing I'm standing 1 ft away from... I think...

* The reaching over your shoulder for your weapon is cool, and the 'touch your visor' for the scan view even cooler, with a 3D gun reticule to target new species. Liking

FPS cap definitely wasn't my problem - It was capped at 144hz, my monitor's refresh rate.

Console performance is bearable so I'm playing there for now ...... and still haven't gotten the flipping Anomaly. One more warp jump should do it.

Impressions - The game's now as janky as it was in 2016, with buildings appearing in mid-air and your ship warping into the scenery with alarming regularity. The thing that really gets me is that they still haven't done anything about having to click through 3 or 4 lines of dialogue every single time you go to a merchant or other npc. Don't tell me it's a feature?

Hopefully things get smoothed out soon but, as it sits now, 2.0 is a backward step for me.

Yeah the FPS cap was more a VR concern (and something HG probably should have defaulted to 90+ when you booted in VR mode )

Yeah know what you mean on the shop text. It's cool for missions, but a bit of a button-mash for general shopping

Tried fiddling around with a few settings after reading some of the Steam threads but as soon as you fly to anywhere with a settlement, the stutters begin. Performance seems the same no matter what graphics level I choose.

Weirdly, when I booted the game this morning (and didn't touch any settings from last night) the fps cap had reverted to 60 from 144.

A patch has just dropped on Steam.

EDIT - Still stuttering every few seconds, so I hope this hotfix was to address the crashing and not the performance.

Did not get a chance to fire it up last night. Probably for the best, as your reports don't sound great. It may be best for me to wait for my usual play window this weekend; hopefully by then, some of these rough edges have been smoothed.

A patch has just dropped on Steam.

EDIT - Still stuttering every few seconds, so I hope this hotfix was to address the crashing and not the performance.
Yeah the experimental branch was all about crashes. Probably that. Although it feels like there's a visual improvement in VR. (I've noticed the viewing mirror on my desktop is now in a different aspect ratio, so I suspect they've at least got it to calibrate to the gear you're using rather than using flatscreen defaults )

Hitching still the big issue for me too.

---

I expect VR to still be a mixed bag even when they iron things out. And I won't sell it as smooth at the mo, because it def isn't (and that's on a 1080 ). But dammit, for all the bad stuff that is bad (performance, visual quality & artefacts as a result, various input oddities etc), when it hits the good, it is damn good

^^click for (slightly) better quality again ^^

The undersea stuff seems way better than the initial builds. Loving swimming amongst the schools of leopard-fish and bull-squids, burrowing down to find scanned stuff, occasionally getting surprised by exhalations of hot gas. The way you hand-guide the boost propulsion like a 007 scuba motor works really well. Tis pretty grand

I'm getting on well with the new tutorials too. Liking being introduced to all the stuff I haven't seen before, so I've set up shop on a paradise planet and I'm just making wooden shacks and solar panels. And getting distracted a lot

For all the claimed inventory improvements, it's still pretty tight at the start though. Could see making this my save and going from here, but only if I can open up some generous cupboards sooner rather than later...

Fired the PS4 version up and there was an update waiting for me there too. Pleased to say that this one actually seems to have worked - I'm getting framerates better than I can remember for the game on console.

The evening update seems to have nudged me further in the right direction, but it's still pretty groggy. Anything with high particles like mining will send the frames diving. But hey, it doesn't lag when I run now, so that's good

I haven't tried the community emergency settings for VR yet, I'm still clinging to full Medium. (IE 'Enhanced'). Even though it's not classic super-pretty, if I can get it playing smoothly looking like this, with some further tweaks for distance viewing, I'll be dead happy

Looking back over your shoulder at views like that, seeing all the alien glows amongst the lush undergrowth, scudding over fluffy clouds in your ship as the sun breaks over the horizon, and oranges paint the sky while pinks paint the land. Pretty damn sweet

(And holy crap are crashed capital ships toweringly big in VR... It popped in damn late, but still impressive . The depiction is cartoonish and that, but jet-packing around it poking it for booty was cool. Generally I'm liking all of the new stuff from the last 2 updates. The tutorial intro, the wires, the cooking up condensed goods, the improved NPCs. All good . And I still haven't driven a VR car around yet )

Now if I could just look out the side of my cockpit without the world juddering in complaint, that'd be great