Movie Poster a Day with JayDee

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
December 18th

Well with it being just one week until the big day I guess it's time that I started featuring some Christmas movies. And inspired by just seeing Vicky talking about it in her thread I've decided to kick off with The Nightmare Before Christmas. There were a couple of options which featured great illustration but I decided on this one with its emphasis on a clever concept; constructing the face of Jack Skellington from a couple of classic Christmas symbols (namely some baubles and Santa's sleigh)

The Nightmare Before Christmas
(1993, d. Henry Selick / Artist - Simon C Page)

Ah what the hell, here's a second Nightmare... poster. It is Christmas after all

(1993, d. Henry Selick / Artist - Jeff Soto)

December 19th

I've decided to stick with Miss Vicky's review thread for my inspiration. So today it's National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Now you did check every bulb didn't you?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
(1989, d. Jeremiah S. Chechik / Artist - Andy Fairhurst)

Done with classes and finally caught up with my favorite thread.

Done with classes and finally caught up with my favorite thread.
Amanda!!!!! Wonderful to have you back.

And thanks for the compliment about this being your favourite thread but surely that's a bit of a slap in the face to Miss Vicky's reviews thread; she is your best friend after all. I don't want to come between you two and be in the middle of a fight.

Also, 58! That's how many reps you left me! I think that's the most I've ever signed on to find waiting for me

December 20th

For today we go to my own personal favourite Christmas film, it's Home Alone. I'm not even entirely sure why I like this poster but there's just something about it that makes me love it. Maybe it's just the unique nature of the design. Or maybe it's the cartoonish nature of the silhouettes and the scene evoking a bit of a Looney Tunes vibe which fits with the film's farcical nature; especially once we get to all the traps and it becomes a sort of live-action Wile E Coyote vs Road Runner

Home Alone
(1990 , d. Chris Columbus / Artist - Beruseruku)

And then once again, just because it's Christmas, a little bonus poster; this one just makes me smile because of how fun it is to have the Statue of Liberty recreating one of the first film's iconic moments

Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York
(1992, d. Chris Columbus)

December 21st

So far we've had two farcical comedies and one very offbeat take on Christmas. So this one is for the tradionalists out there. I give you It's a Wonderful Life (a sentiment I personally have never subscribed to!). And it's that man again, Laurent Durieux. While it may not have a clever concept or lots of little easter eggs like many of his prints, it is once again a beautiful piece of fine art.

It's a Wonderful Life
(1946, d. Frank Capra / Artist - Laurent Durieux)

And thanks for the compliment about this being your favourite thread but surely that's a bit of a slap in the face to Miss Vicky's reviews thread; she is your best friend after all. I don't want to come between you two and be in the middle of a fight.

Also, 58! That's how many reps you left me! I think that's the most I've ever signed on to find waiting for me
MV and I have been friends for 10+ years and never had a fight so I think we'll manage.

Happy to throw some rep your way! Fun Home Alone posters.

December 23rd

You know what, as I missed yesterday, and as it's almost Christmas, I'm just going to throw a whole host of posters at ya today and tomorrow.

First up something a little different, not actual films as such but two Christmas classics none the less, certainly for American audiences.

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

(1966, d. Chuck Jones & Ben Washam / Artist - Florey)

A Charlie Brown Christmas
(1965, d. Bill Melendez / Artist - Tom Whalen)

A Charlie Brown Christmas

(1965, d. Bill Melendez / Artist - Laurent Durieux)

And then another big one for the Americans; it almost seems to be something of an institution over there even if I really don't get it.

A Christmas Story
(1983, d. Bob Clark)

And then to finish off today's batch is a film I wasn't going to go with; I'd been planning on doing strictly films I considered to be actual Christmas films and not films just set at Christmas, but what the hell! The poster itself is kind of Christmassy

Gremlins
(1984, d. Joe Dante / Artist - Joshua Budich)

for Grinch and Gremlins posters. Don't care for Charlie Brown and really don't like A Christmas Story so the posters don't do much for me.

December 24th

As it turns out there's a limited number of Christmas films available for me to feature really. So today we have a number of duplicate films that have already appeared over the last week or so. The first few once again go out to Miss Vicky

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
(1989, d. Jeremiah S. Chechik / Artist - Rich Davies)

(1993, d. Henry Selick / Artist - Simon Delart)

(1993, d. Henry Selick / Artist - Unknown)

All of you, break out your James Stewart impersonation (he's like Christopher Walken, everyone's got one) - "What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down."

It's a Wonderful Life

(1946, d. Frank Capra / Artist - Asti Faivre)

And to finish off, another couple of Home Alone posters. Now I'll admit that this first poster makes the film look more like a horror flick but I still really like the concept; the house taking the place of a piece of cheese in the trap, just luring in the Wet Bandits.

Home Alone
(1990, d. Chris Columbus / Artist - Edgar Ascensao)

And then this one is just chock full of little details from the movie; the departing plane with Kevin's family on board, the cardboard cut-outs at the window, the statue that is forever being knocked over, the Wet Bandits' van, the South Bend Shovel Slayer lurking etc.

Home Alone
(1990, d. Chris Columbus / Artist - DKNG)

So there we have it, that's your lot. Merry Christmas everyone, particularly to those who have followed and shown an interest in this thread - Vicky, Amanda, Mark, Tongo, Sexy, Gunslinger, cricket, Fabulous, Chypmunk, MonnoM, Sean, GBG, Camo and all the others I have undoubtedly forgotten (sorry!)

Love those first three.

Speaking of movie posters...

Funny Face and I did our Christmas gift exchange yesterday and she showed up with one of these - only, of course, it wasn't from her. I also got a sparkly Christmas card with a Westie on it today that came all the way from Glasgow.

Thank you very much and merry Christmas!

December 25th

Ok I've just concocted a new theme - The 12 Days of Christmas! Now I've not thought this through so I don't know for sure it will work. And I'm thinking it's going to include some silly, cheesy humour and possibly a number of painful puns. But it's Christmas after all. There's no better time to get away with cheesy, roll-your-eyes humour; like cracker jokes. So....

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me, a partridge in a Pear Tree of Life

I'll allow the artist himself to introduce the poster - "There's a short and beautiful sequence in the film where the three brothers are shot underwater; their heads above water, so we only see these dancing tangled bodies. It felt like a concise metaphor for the idea of teen-hood, floating in an abyss before emerging fully formed— which ties with the more abstract parts of the film depicting evolution of microscopic organisms. From cell to fish then to the land and air."

The Tree of Life
(2011, d. Terrence Malick / Tomer Hanuka)

And just as a little Christmas bonus there's this un-used design from the film's original release alluding to the film's themes of time, life and death etc

The Tree of Life
(2011, d. Terrence Malick)

December 26th

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me, two Ninja Turtle doves
and a partridge in a pear Tree of Life

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
(1990, d. Steve Barron / Artist - Rich Kelly)

Watching A Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve is one of the few holiday traditions I have. The Charles Schulz Museum is about an hour away and keep meaning to visit.

Love, love, LOVE TMNT! It's a childhood favorite that I still revisit. Have a drawing of all four turtles at work from one of the kiddos I used to watch.

Hope you had a lovely holiday JD!

December 27th

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me, three French Connection hens
two Ninja Turtle doves

The French Connection
(1971, d. William Friedkin / Artist - Adam Simpson)

December 28th

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, four calling Birds
three French Connection hens
two Ninja Turtle doves

The Birds
(1963, d. Alfred Hitchcock / Artist - Alexandru Savescu)

Watching A Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve is one of the few holiday traditions I have. The Charles Schulz Museum is about an hour away and keep meaning to visit.
That sounds nice. I've never seen it at all. I could be wrong but I don't think that Charlie Brown has ever really been a 'thing' in the UK.

Love, love, LOVE TMNT! It's a childhood favorite that I still revisit. Have a drawing of all four turtles at work from one of the kiddos I used to watch.
Really? Oh Amanda I've genuinely never loved you more!!! I love the Turtles. I loved them as a kid and still love them today. And the 1990 film remains one of my absolute favourite films ever.

You might be interested in looking at this. Not even so much for the review as the chance to see photos of me back when I was cute!

http://www.movieforums.com/community...69#post1059369

Next page please. I hate posting at the very end of a page.