A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The sparse, nonsensical quality is a feature, not a bug.

Now, explaining that may not actually help you enjoy the movie more, but I would suggest revisiting it when you are more in the mood for overlooking gaps in logic and the like.
It wasn't so much that I wasn't enjoying it.

Sometimes when I'm restless I will watch a movie and read a book at the same time. And usually I can follow both pretty well. It was interesting to me that I was utterly failing to follow The Beyond, which made me wonder about the structure of the film and why missing moments was making me feel so disconnected from the story.

I obviously need to start it from the beginning and give it full attention. But never have I been so at sea while watching and reading. It literally felt like every time I looked up the only information I was getting was *dissolving head* . . . *bloody eyeball* . . . *writhing zombie* . . . *cover of old book* . . . *another bloody eyeball* . . . and so on.

It wasn't so much that I wasn't enjoying it.

Sometimes when I'm restless I will watch a movie and read a book at the same time. And usually I can follow both pretty well. It was interesting to me that I was utterly failing to follow The Beyond, which made me wonder about the structure of the film and why missing moments was making me feel so disconnected from the story.

I obviously need to start it from the beginning and give it full attention. But never have I been so at sea while watching and reading. It literally felt like every time I looked up the only information I was getting was *dissolving head* . . . *bloody eyeball* . . . *writhing zombie* . . . *cover of old book* . . . *another bloody eyeball* . . . and so on.
I do not endorse this kind of multitasking but I have been known to glance at my phone at odd moments during a film so I won't pretend I am above reproach.

But there is a dream logic at play in The Beyond in how it connects those images and I think you would need to feel your way into that groove. If you are already feeling restless, I don't know easily you would gel with how the film moves.

Sometimes when I'm restless I will watch a movie and read a book at the same time. And usually I can follow both pretty well.
Pretty sure that qualifies as a superpower.

Pretty sure that qualifies as a superpower.
It's like driving. You're looking ahead of you but you're also looking in the rearview mirror.

Lest anyone clutch their pearls too much, I usually only do this with TV shows that lean on the side of exposition (like Grimm or Sleepy Hollow) where every few minutes someone explains what is happening and you barely have to look at the screen to follow along.

Obviously with a movie that relies mostly on its visuals or that doesn't follow a more simplistic logical structure it . . . doesn't work.

Victim of The Night
So I was trying to watch The Beyond but was feeling very distracted and I somehow got about an hour in and only retained some melted heads and displaced eyeballs.

But somehow I get the feeling that might also be The Beyond? Like, is there much story, or is it all melting heads and poked out eyeballs?
I really like The Beyond and it is worth finishing. But it has a sort of disjointed dream-quality about it where the narrative is not exactly something you can just easily explain beyond the obvious over-arching story.
I found it a pleasure to watch although some of that is because I know almost every location in the film from living in New Orleans.

Finally got around to Ready or Not (and was disappointed). Question---

WARNING: spoilers below
Some of the prior in-laws mention that they were given other games to play such as Old Maid, and at various points someone mentions that drawing Hide and Seek is a rarity. And clearly those in-laws are still around. So why didn't those in-laws have to die before dawn? Did I miss an explanation about that? It's an absurd premise anyway so it shouldn't really matter, just something that bothered me throughout the film. That's not the reason I didn't care for the film, but let's say it was a contributing factor.

Some of the prior in-laws mention that they were given other games to play such as Old Maid, and at various points someone mentions that drawing Hide and Seek is a rarity. And clearly those in-laws are still around. So why didn't those in-laws have to die before dawn? Did I miss an explanation about that? It's an absurd premise anyway so it shouldn't really matter, just something that bothered me throughout the film. That's not the reason I didn't care for the film, but let's say it was a contributing factor.
So in regards to the premise . . .
The weird box thing only puts out "Hide & Seek" every so often. The other games are benign. But if someone pulls Hide & Seek, it means that they have been marked as a sacrifice and must be killed in order for the pact to remain. It's why the husband even brings her to the house in the first place. He's expecting her to pull something benign and then realizes he's made a huge mistake when she pulls the Hide & Seek card. Honestly, my impression is that it's about a once-in-a-generation thing, since the aunt was the last person to have to kill someone.

So in regards to the premise . . .
The weird box thing only puts out "Hide & Seek" every so often. The other games are benign. But if someone pulls Hide & Seek, it means that they have been marked as a sacrifice and must be killed in order for the pact to remain. It's why the husband even brings her to the house in the first place. He's expecting her to pull something benign and then realizes he's made a huge mistake when she pulls the Hide & Seek card. Honestly, my impression is that it's about a once-in-a-generation thing, since the aunt was the last person to have to kill someone.
Yeah, I understood that. I was just confused as to why there hadn't been a sacrifice in decades when it was clear that their lives depended on providing one. But I'm remembering now that the old guy was described as being passionate about "games of chance" so I guess that was it. Again, not a big sticking point for me, just something that wasn't quite clear to me.

I seem to recall this was very divisive at Corrie, is that correct? Or maybe everyone liked it but one of us hated it? Something like that?

I watched Ready Or Not back in October and found it pretty flat and disappointing.

Yeah, I understood that. I was just confused as to why there hadn't been a sacrifice in decades when it was clear that their lives depended on providing one. But I'm remembering now that the old guy was described as being passionate about "games of chance" so I guess that was it. Again, not a big sticking point for me, just something that wasn't quite clear to me.

I seem to recall this was very divisive at Corrie, is that correct? Or maybe everyone liked it but one of us hated it? Something like that?
Wooley HATES it. Others have been split between "meh" and thinking it was a fun time.

I saw it twice in the theater and had a blast both times (as did the rest of the audience). The giddy, over-the-top violence and Weaving's strong central presence really did it for me.

EDIT: re: premise

Also, they are using the goats as sacrifices. I think that the idea is that they do "normal" (animal) sacrifice regularly, and then when someone comes into the family, they have to pull a card.

OK that's probably what I was thinking of. I didn't hate it but I found it to be empty. The family wasn't really given any traits beyond "rich, and therefore evil". I feel like I was supposed to hate the one aunt but her character seemed to be nothing more than a sourpuss and a scary hairdo so I didn't really feel strongly about her.

But my main beef is that
the curse was real, which absolves them of acting like a-holes since their lives were literally at stake. That undercut whatever message about entitlement that the film might've had going for it.

I wasn't expecting anything profound but I'd hoped it would at least be more clever. I'm sure it's more fun with an enthusiastic audience.

OK that's probably what I was thinking of. I didn't hate it but I found it to be empty. The family wasn't really given any traits beyond "rich, and therefore evil".
I liked the character of the brother. And I think it's a pretty good portrait of the mentality of entitlement. As for the aunt, she's a good example of "I had it rough, so everyone else has to have it that way."

But my main beef is that
the curse was real, which absolves them of acting like a-holes since their lives were literally at stake. That undercut whatever message about entitlement that the film might've had going for it.

I wasn't expecting anything profound but I'd hoped it would at least be more clever. I'm sure it's more fun with an enthusiastic audience.
I would challenge this criticism and say that
it doesn't matter if the curse is real or not. These people have been committing acts of cruelty and murder just to survive. They could easily, you know, not get married? I get that it does shift the morality a bit, but ultimately they have decided that their continued survival (and wealth) is worth killing innocent people. The main character's husband decides that his life is worth more than hers. They don't grapple at all with the morality of killing off multiple servants.

OK that's probably what I was thinking of. I didn't hate it but I found it to be empty. The family wasn't really given any traits beyond "rich, and therefore evil". I feel like I was supposed to hate the one aunt but her character seemed to be nothing more than a sourpuss and a scary hairdo so I didn't really feel strongly about her.

But my main beef is that

I think a big problem is outside of Weaving the casting isn’t great. I think if they cast some fun character actors who go a little bigger and more campy it would’ve improved the film a lot. I wanted to hate the rich family but just didn’t care and struggled to remember who everyone was. Like the butler is a good example and you mentioned the aunt. They’re supposed to be imposing and threatening but just kinda show up and say their lines.

I think a big problem is outside of Weaving the casting isn’t great. . . I wanted to hate the rich family but just didn’t care and struggled to remember who everyone was.
I disagree. I thought that Sexy Complicated Brother, Sociopathic Sister-in-Law, and Inept Husband (who watches crossbow tutorials on the toilet) were distinct enough in their parts in the story.

I also felt as though the entitlement was so well drawn. Maybe it's just that I knew someone who had a miserable time nannying for a wealthy family, but so much of it rang true to me.

Victim of The Night

I'm with you. It's a shame my scathing Corri reviews of it have been lost (I ended up discussing it multiple times in different contexts). Very disappointing film with lots of weaknesses.

Victim of The Night
I agree with all of this.

I watched Ready Or Not back in October and found it pretty flat and disappointing.
I didn’t like it at all, either. Watchable, but utterly boring & unoriginal. Samara Weaving is charismatic, though.