2020 Movie Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
I am sorry for the theater challenge in Normal Mode, but in late 2019 I wouldn't expect us to be a year into a full blown pandemic. Simpler times.

Been dragging my feet on the challenge ever since I hit single digits but truth is I need to sit my ass down and watch some films relevant to it. The fact that I don't seem to click with Fellini's lesser known work doesn't help.

Welcome to the human race...
Ugh. I can already tell this is going to bad. I can’t even understand what the damn dummy is saying
Just wait until you get the phone call that says "Seven days..."

The trick is not minding
I am sorry for the theater challenge in Normal Mode, but in late 2019 I wouldn't expect us to be a year into a full blown pandemic. Simpler times.

Been dragging my feet on the challenge ever since I hit single digits but truth is I need to sit my ass down and watch some films relevant to it. The fact that I don't seem to click with Fellini's lesser known work doesn't help.
Oh yeah, not blaming you for the theater challenge part. There was no way you could have known.
Fellini Film have been hit or miss for me. I like La Strada, and hated Satyricon for example. Still need to watch quite a bit of his films though

The trick is not minding
*plops down*

*waits patiently for 2021 challenge to be posted to plan ahead*

I should have the 2020 challenge finished by Christmas. The last week was busy and prevented me from watching many films.

Okay lets see if I can finish this...I had to move some stuff around

A. Get lost in the movement:
German Expressionism
Shadows and Fog (1991)
1960s science fiction
Horrors of the Malformed Men (1969)
1970s horror
Phantom of the Paradise(1974)
North America
A Rainy Day in New York (2019)
Africa
Al-Mummia(1969)
IMDb's top 250 (2019 finalized edition)
Schindlers List (1993)
Criterion Collection
Mildred Pierce (1945)
a black and white film
Werckmeister Harmonies(2000)
a film adapted to or from a TV series
The Ghost and Mrs Muir(1947)
box office wonder (made at least 3 times as much as it cost)
Love and Death (1975)
A 2020 release
Bill and Ted Face the Music (2020)
A film in theaters
Underwater(2020)

So that leaves me with two left in the proper

1. 1930s gangster film
1. a franchise with 5 or more sequels/remakes/reboots

I don't think you can count Shadows and Fog as a German Expressionism film any more than you can count Interiors as an Ingmar Bergman film.

The trick is not minding
I don't think you can count Shadows and Fog as a German Expressionism film any more than you can count Interiors as an Ingmar Bergman film.
Why wouldn’t you, though? It was very much done in the style, and was even a homage, to German expressionism.

Because the initial prompt is to choose a film that originally belonged to a specific cinematic movement that occupies a static place in film history, not a homage that came out decades after the movement had run its course. It'd be like if I tried to count Pulp Fiction as a French New Wave film or Kung Fury as a 1980s film.

The trick is not minding
Because the initial prompt is to choose a film that originally belonged to a specific cinematic movement that occupies a static place in film history, not a homage that came out decades after the movement had run its course. It'd be like if I tried to count Pulp Fiction as a French New Wave film or Kung Fury as a 1980s film.
I get what you’re saying, but the examples you provided are false equivalencies. *
Serious question though.
German expressionism was the 1920’s-1930’s, we all know that, but that was its peak. Wouldn’t any further films made in the same style still be considered as such though, regardless of what decade it was made?

Your example fails as Pulp Fiction is a new wave film...but not a French New Wave film.

Kung Fury was not made in the 80's.

Now you are claiming Shadows and Fog doesn't count doesn't say anything about "orginial movement"

Watch one film belonging to each of the following cinematic movements

Also let's look at the RT page
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shadows_and_fog

German Expressionism is referenced in the reviews and the consensus. You might have wanted me to watch a silent or foreign German film but I wanted to watch this one, so I watched it and I counted it.

I get what you’re saying, but the examples you provided are false equivalencies. *
Serious question though.
German expressionism was the 1920’s-1930’s, we all know that, but that was its peak. Wouldn’t any further films made in the same style still be considered as such though, regardless of what decade it was made?
Then I'll pull it up on a technicality and say that it wasn't made in Germany anyway.

You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?
watch 10 foreign language films
7. The Orphanage, 8.Christiane F, 9. The Skin I live in, 10. Late Spring

Documentary, my dear Watson
6. One Cut of the Dead(2017), 7. The TAMI Show, 8. Long Gone Summer, 9. Decline of Western Civiliazation. 10. Be Water

Roger says...
watch 10 films from Roger Ebert’s great movies list
10. Santa Sangre (1989)

Chekhov, Method or Meisner?
watch 10 films featuring the same actor
(Peter Cushing)
1. The Curse of Frankenstein, 2. The Revenge of Frankenstein, 3. The Evil of Frankenstein, 4. Frankenstein Created Woman, 5. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, 6. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, 7. Corruption, 8. Time without Pity

I have a vision...(Sam Pekinpah)

8. Ride the High Country

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country
(United Kingdom)
5. Frenzy, 6. Borderlands, 7. The Devils, 8 Hunger

\How soon is now?
watch 10 films released in 2020
5. The King of Staten Island, 6. Borat II, 7. The Vast of Night, 8. Mulan, 9. Host, 10. The Outpost

The trick is not minding
3 in standard and 6 in nightmare left
Made good time with my work cancelation due to the snow.
I found a nice film that fit in the Yugoslavia black wave from Sasa Petrovic.
Good film. I’ll have an update soon

The trick is not minding
An update as I near the finish line:
Edit* I have all the last few films already chosen and ready to be viewed this week and should finish this up.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  
[

Done! Phew!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

The trick is not minding
Well Done Tak! Hope you enjoyed this!
For me, it’s interesting which films, genres, actors, and directors everyone chooses for the various categories.
Looking forward to seeing what you choose for next years.

Well Done Tak! Hope you enjoyed this!
For me, it’s interesting which films, genres, actors, and directors everyone chooses for the various categories.
Looking forward to seeing what you choose for next years.
I've got my little organizing document all set up and I'm starting to populate it. I think I will update in the thread more frequently, as well as pay more attention to what others are watching for the different categories.

I'm enjoying Varda so much that part of me wants to keep going and watch another 10 of her movies!