Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

O Estranho Caso de Angélica (2010)
aka The Strange Case of Angelica

I guess this is some sort of magical realism. Anyways, an odd tale of a young photographer who falls in love with a dead girl. Maybe one needs to be closer to a hundred years old to get the film's ideas about death and existence, but for me, it didn't work too well. I also didn't like the acting (apparently such unnatural style was a trademark of the director), and the silent film style soundtrack felt oddly out of place (though a bit less so now that I know the director started working during the silent era).

Victim of The Night
I also think IV sucks, but it does have the best and strangest moment in the entire series - well, the first six movies, anyway, which are all I've seen - and that is when we see Crispin Glover's dance moves.
I think we can all agree on that.

Black Christmas (1974)
My festive films start here with this classic. This predates Halloween and certainly sets the standard for the genre. Black Christmas is drenched in atmosphere and tension from beginning to end. I cannot recommend this film enough. Forget the remakes, this is the one to watch.

Victim of The Night
Borat - I guess this is one of those movies where you have to strike while the iron is hot. The same thing happened to me while watching Ex Machina. That was a perfectly serviceable sci-fi thriller but I guess I waited too long to watch it.
This hurts me as I think Ex Machina was my favorite film of that year. Of course, when I went to watch Westworld my thought was, "I'd rather just watch Ex Machina again and be done in 2 hours instead of 20."

The Dark and the Wicked (2020)

Tidy horror that is more about abandoning those you love rather than cheap shocks. Some parts are still rather gruesome and this was a well judged low-budget chiller.

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) Víctor Erice
This one i have had on my watchlist for a long time, after reading about it on Roger Eberts Great Movies list. But I had very little knowledge about it. And i had almost forgotten about it, until recently.
Taking place right after the Spanish Civil War ended, the story is pretty simple. Two sisters go to a traveling cinema that arrives in town. The movie they see is Frankenstein. This movie has a deep impact on the youngest sister, which allow her imagination to run free. This movie pushes for a spot on my favorites list.
8.5/10

You should seek out 'El Sur' by the same director. It's equally as beautiful.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Jigsaw (2017) i know im huge fan of saw movie trilogy but i give jigsaw 8/10 its an alright movie
Saw II was the best one.

You should seek out 'El Sur' by the same director. It's equally as beautiful.
I will see it as soon as possible then, ScarletLion. I saw El Sol Del Membrillo on Youtube, right after i saw Spirit if the Beehive. It was a Documentary/Biography.

I needed a little pick me up the way this week is going so I figured why not run this one again. Only my second time seeing it and I have to say it's better than I remembered. I think the first time I watched it I was so preoccupied with the notorious stuff and waiting for it to happen that I didn't pay too much attention to the other stuff (plot and silly things like that).

I needed a little pick me up the way this week is going so I figured why not run this one again. Only my second time seeing it and I have to say it's better than I remembered. I think the first time I watched it I was so preoccupied with the notorious stuff and waiting for it to happen that I didn't pay too much attention to the other stuff (plot and silly things like that).
I think the arguments it tries to push fall apart (who are the real monsters?/the media can go way too far for sensationalism) due to the film's hypocrisy, but as a splatterhouse film, it is, admittedly, well-made and that it offers a handful of effective moments. It's not something I want to watch again (I looked away during many of the animal cruelty scenes), but I do think there's some quality content in there.

I think the arguments it tries to push fall apart (who are the real monsters?/the media can go way too far for sensationalism) due to the film's hypocrisy, but as a splatterhouse film, it is, admittedly, well-made and that it offers a handful of effective moments. It's not something I want to watch again (I looked away during many of the animal cruelty scenes), but I do think there's some quality content in there.
I agree with you. I am personally horrified by scenes of violence against animals, so I try not to watch films / TV shows / videos at all, where this is present. Perhaps the creators of this product wanted to cause a resonance among the public, but it turned out to be too harsh.

I agree with you. I am personally horrified by scenes of violence against animals, so I try not to watch films / TV shows / videos at all, where this is present. Perhaps the creators of this product wanted to cause a resonance among the public, but it turned out to be too harsh.
I think the thesis of this film was that the characters were going way too far for sensationalism by killing people during the production of their film. While this theme could've worked if it was handled right, Deodato was also guilty of going that far for sensationalism himself as all the animal cruelty scenes in the film were, in fact, real. I found it hard to take that thesis seriously as a result due to the hypocrisy and the lack of sincerity Deodato showed for it.

A disturbing but excellently plotted film.

I think the thesis of this film was that the characters were going way too far for sensationalism by killing people during the production of their film. While this theme could've worked if it was handled right, Deodato was also guilty of going that far for sensationalism himself as all the animal cruelty scenes in the film were, in fact, real. I found it hard to take that thesis seriously as a result due to the hypocrisy and the lack of sincerity Deodato showed for it.
Definitely a movie to avoid. Anyone who hurts an animal is the lowest form of pond life. AND DON’T TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS IN THE MOVIE. THANKS!

Yeah, I think we've gone through this before but this is pretty much where I land on.

For anyone interested, I wrote a bit about this several years ago...

Cannibal Holocaust: Is its reputation earned?