Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

72. Blow Out (1981)

This is my absolute favorite De Palma film. It's again a sort of "Hitchcock parody" (with a plot based on a Michelangelo Antonioni film), only this time it is done in a more intimate, silent and intense manner than the previous De Palma entry in my list, Body Double.

It's very stylishly directed, there's constant suspense and unpredictability and the ending is one of the most beautiful, intense, cynical and tragic endings I've ever seen. It's probably not for everyone, but I absolutely LOVED it. The music is also fantastic.

I also like Travolta's performance. He's definitely an over the top actor (in general), but here, like in some of his other best work, he also strikes a deeper core. Again, especially during the ending scene, I can almost feel his pain myself. Really, really good performance.

In my opinion, this is De Palma's masterpiece.

-------------------------------

Also, I forgot to say about how great The Lost Weekend looks. I need to make it a mission to watch the films I haven't seen from this list Can't wait until I do my next top 100 now

Also, I forgot to say about how great The Lost Weekend looks. I need to make it a mission to watch the films I haven't seen from this list Can't wait until I do my next top 100 now
The most frustrating thing is that I want to add my Top 10 favorites to my profile now with the new lay-out, but I can't because of this list.

Be sure to watch The Lost Weekend in the future. I think you'll probably love it.

The most frustrating thing is that I want to add my Top 10 favorites to my profile now with the new lay-out, but I can't because of this list.

Be sure to watch The Lost Weekend in the future. I think you'll probably love it.
Same here kind of, I have been wanting to update my top ten for ages but I want it to be a real surprise for when I do my next top 100, which might not be until ages (like end of year, next year, I have been planning it for a year) because I watch so many great films and it chances all the time, and with a potential completely new look top ten, I want to surprise everyone.

Watchlist for the first 2 and I really like Blow Out as well!

Blow Out is good stylistically, you should watch Sisters if you haven't

Aaand this:

Blow Out is good stylistically, you should watch Sisters if you haven't
Sisters and Femme Fatale (have you seen that one?) are probably the next De Palma films I'm going to watch when I'm in the mood for his style.

and with a potential completely new look top ten, I want to surprise everyone.
So, in other words, you pick your favorite movies for other people?

I haven't seen The Lost Weekend or In a Lonely Place, but I'll be sure to look out for them.

Blow out is great; I figured that would be here once Body Double showed. Did you like Dressed to Kill? I kind of look at those three as sort of a trilogy, although I know they're not.

Sisters and Femme Fatale (have you seen that one?) are probably the next De Palma films I'm going to watch when I'm in the mood for his style.
I haven't seen the other one you mentioned, haven't seen to much De Palma films actually. I certainly see what you mean by mood for his style though. Especially the cinematography can be kind of unique, like a game show almost.

I haven't seen The Lost Weekend or In a Lonely Place, but I'll be sure to look out for them.

Blow out is great; I figured that would be here once Body Double showed. Did you like Dressed to Kill? I kind of look at those three as sort of a trilogy, although I know they're not.
I liked Dressed to Kill, yes, although it won't appear in this list. I see what you mean about them being a sort of 'trilogy'. They are all clearly inspired by Hitchcock and all have their own twisty plot and very sexual/seductive style. Blow Out is the most accomplished one for me, because it strikes deepest emotional core of them all and I like Body Double so extremely much because it's so wild and over the top. Dressed To Kill is somewhere in between those two on both areas.

@Donnie: exactly, the cinematography and the camera movement are always interesting in De Palma's films.

71. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Like many others, I believe this is the best film that came out of the most popular sci-fi film series of all time. I've seen it countless times and keep enjoying it over and over again. The script (the dialogue and the plot) is a stroke of genius and of course it also has the charm and sheer entertainment-value of the whole Star Wars universe and all of its awesome characters and original ideas.

If there ever was a twist in film history that I would want to revisit live at its original release, it would probably be the "I am your father"-twist of The Empire Strikes Back. I can't imagine what the reaction must have been in the theaters back then. It's one of the greatest and most haunting climaxes ever.

This is also the film where the 'love relationship' between Han Solo and Princess Leia starts to develop and while some people might find it a little cheesy, I think it's one of the most hilarious and yet sweet and charismatic relationships ever depicted on film. Their scenes together are just perfect.

We are also introduced to the character of Yoda for the first time, who is still one of the most respected film characters ever. A green little muppet became a symbol of wisdom and inner strenght for millions of people.

The Empire Strikes Back is rightfully considered the best film of the whole Star Wars series and contains arguably one of cinema's top 5 most famous scenes of all time. A classic for the ages and one of my all time favorite films!

---------------------------------------