Akira Remake

Tools    

http://deadline.com/2017/09/akira-ta...ok-1202173164/

"Akira is revving back up, with Warner Bros negotiating with Taika Waititi, the New Zealand-born director and actor who helmed Thor: Ragnarok. Pic is a live action version of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel.

The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. Mad Chance’s Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

The picture has been a big priority since Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures acquired it for 7-figures from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has always been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.
"

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Taika Waititi has confirmed that he is in negotiations, but he said he would do both a more faithful adaptation of the manga and not the anime and he said if he gets the film, he will not allow "whitewashing"

“Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me and probably no, not, like no name, I mean sort of unfound, untapped talent. Yeah, I’d probably want to take it a bit back more towards the books.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/taika-wa...pproach-akira/

With the recent successes of Alita and Pikachu it appears that Hollywood is finally getting onboard the Japanese videogame/manga adaptation bandwagon.

Indeed, manga is perhaps the best medium to adapt into blockbuster movies: like blockbuster movies it is a medium primarily aimed at stories for teenagers and young adults but that have universal appeal and, unlike novels, already provide a lot of visual cues for cinematic adaptation. There is material for scrips for many hundreds of blockbuster hits inside the world of manga.

Welcome to the human race...
So...like comic books, then.

But seriously, the difference would be that Akira's more mature subject matter might make it harder to adapt properly as opposed to comparatively benign properties like Alita or Pokémon. We already saw what happened when Ghost in the Shell got turned into a PG-13 blockbuster and the last thing any of us needs is Akira getting similar treatment (even with a more distinctive filmmaker like Waititi in the mix).

Officially on hold since Waititi is busy with the MCU.

Although, I did some reading... the only people approached to star are Joaquin Phoenix, Chris Pine, Garrett Hedlund, Gary Oldman, Keira Knightley, Justin Timberlake, Kristen Stewart, Andrew Garfield, Robert Pattinson, Michael Fassbender, Keanu Reeves, Michael Pitt, Paul Dano and Helena Bonham Carter.
Ken Watanabe is the only Japanese actor the studio's have spoken to.

Eh, I've been hearing about this remake for so long that I remember when Jake Gyllenhaal and Leonardo DiCaprio were being "approached to star". Maybe hold off on any name-dropping unless they're explicitly confirmed to be appearing in the film rather than them maybe appearing because someone tried asking them and a dozen other people.

The trick is not minding
I forgot about this.
Reminds me of The Blob remake Rob Zombie was attached to for years and years and finally...,,.nothing ever happened.
Will Akira share the same fate?

Yeah, there are plenty of potential remakes where every once in a while a rumour surfaces with names attached or alleged plot details but they rarely amount to anything that even approaches the production stage, let alone a finished and released film. Sometimes the promise of such a remake can keep the rumour mill spinning for years (just look at the supposed remake of The Crow that's going to star Jason Momoa).