Well it's been a big week for sequel news. First we had the news that Jamie Lee Curtis is coming back to play Laurie Strode again in next year's new Halloween movie, despite being killed off in 2002's Resurrection, and since then we've had the news that Linda Hamilton is coming back to play Sarah Connor again in the new Terminator movie, in spite of her character dying off-screen of leukemia in 2003's Terminator 3, and being recast and having her timeline altered entirely in 2015's Terminator Genysis.
What little info we do have on the new Halloween suggests that it may not only be ignoring everything from Halloween 2 on, but that it may even be ignoring Halloween 2 and be a sequel to the original, meaning that Laurie would not even be Myers' sister anymore. The Hamilton news makes it extremely likely also that everything post-T2 will not exist in the new movie.
What do we think of this? While on the one hand I'm very pleased to see a new Halloween that goes back to the original series, with those Rob Zombie remake movies now being thrown away instead Grin I'm not sure how I feel about them ignoring the likes of H20 and even Halloween 2. Or is it a good idea?
I'm quite used to the idea of completely new timelines with each new story from reading fan-fiction, but it's not something I thought would ever be embraced by the mainstream in movies. Is it a good idea to have an "anything goes" attitude to continuity, providing some things - like the original in a series - remain sacred?
We live in interesting times!