Which social media service do you draw the line at?

Tools    

Which is the newest social media service you've decided not to join?
11.11%
3 votes
Facebook
11.11%
3 votes
Twitter
55.56%
15 votes
Snapchat
18.52%
5 votes
Grizzle
3.70%
1 votes
Instagram
27 votes. You may not vote on this poll

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I miss myspace. You could host your own music and design your page. So much more better for not being in ex gf/relative land.
That's never an awkward coversation.

"Yeah, I have FB. I just won't accept your friend request bc we're related."

I'm not well enough developed to be able to handle having family keeping tabs on my social life and memegame.

I miss myspace. You could host your own music and design your page. So much more better for not being in ex gf/relative land.
That's never an awkward coversation.

"Yeah, I have FB. I just won't accept your friend request bc we're related."

I'm not well enough developed to be able to handle having family keeping tabs on my social life and memegame.

G

Of course I have every damn family member on tgere. I wanted to be a mystery internet artist but fb wont let me, waaaaaa...

Its true tho.

Had Snapchat for a while, but never used it myself. I received stuff, but I ultimately didn't bother to install it again on my most recent phone (about half a year ago).

I never bothered using Instagram (I have an unused account) and don't even know what Grizzle is.

I do use Facebook and Twitter very frequently, though. The former mostly for personal stuff and the latter for gathering all kinds of information.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I used to have Grindr until a few weeks back made tinder look like a church
LOL. I've never been in there for a look but it keeps getting whispered about around the traps. Seems to have replaced the little boy 'You are so gay" as the internet put down at the moment, along the lines of Go join Grindr you snowflake! followed by much hurting feels by 11 year olds.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Facebook was fun when I was younger but now it's so boring, and the videos you find on there are very distasteful. Instagram I used to be really into it, but now it became more like a celebrity outlet more than anything, I do like to check it a couple of times a month. I love twitter, like you said, it's great for figuring out what is going on in the world, and also, I feel like it's the most entertaining. Every time I go into twitter I know I'm going to have a laugh.

A friend of mine recently left Facebook (again). He told me it made him feel like a lonely loser. Sad.

I made it up. Wanted to see how many people noticed.
I think you should buy the domain name for Grizzle before someone else does.

http://parksandrecreation.wikia.com/wiki/Gryzzl

This may have been mentioned in this thread just watching Parks and Rec right now and that coming up cracked me up so much
No joke...I was not thinking of that when I made this poll. Maybe it wormed into my subconscious.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I have no social media. I pretty much had to create a Facebook account for my research last year to recruit prospective participants, but I immediately deactivated it after it was no longer necessary. I had Facebook when I was younger, but I found it to be, in my experience, a strange form of exhibitionism and I still see that now when I speak to others about it. Some people use it to endlessly compare themselves to others, falling into this distorted reality of social media where the life you depict is apparently the true life you live. The amount of times I have seen abusive relationships in real life being portrayed the as the happiest on Facebook is astonishing. I suspect those who gravitate towards needing to 'prove' their life to others on social media are those who are in desperate need for validation, approval and status. Some of it is narcissism, but a lot of it is also insecurities.

I also think, on an ideological level, that it is a rather reprehensible platform of invasion and imposition - where people openly and overtly give away details about themselves to large, multinational corporations and institutions of the state. I mean, think about it - you are telling God knows who how old you are, where you work, where you have worked, where you live, where you have lived, who your family is, who your partner is, who you have dated before, what your hobbies are, what your interests are, what school you attended, what university you attended, who you are friends with, what you are doing on the weekend, what you are doing today, and so on. Now, I understand not everyone uses Facebook to this excessive, invasive extent, but this type of data - on a larger, transnational level, across multiple languages, age groups and cultures - is valuable and also very telling to anyone who wants to understand more about a population.

Then again, I can still easily acknowledge that Facebook is a bastion of important activism, networking, interaction and education, but I feel these advantages are not strictly confined to the nature of the site, itself. I think a lot of this can still be achieved on the Internet, period.

In regards to Twitter, I sometimes go on it to see what particular people are saying. but I do not use it personally. I feel It has changed the way we engage in discourse to a degree, too. Things need to be punchy, concise, hard-hitting and very detailed, often without room for much explanation. Again, I understand the massive utility in this, but there are also implications in terms of how we are reducing and dogmatising certain discursive topics and subjects that really need a platform beyond Twitter to communicate soundly about.

In my view, I espouse communicative action. I feel that intrinsic to the nature of language and communication is this inherent orientation towards mutual understanding and consensus. Social media, on one hand, can facilitate this, but it can also severely damage it because you only have a certain amount of words to use before you either a) run out or b) lose the interest of a casual reader. As a result, consequential topics and ideas may be overlooked, under-represented or dogmatically rendered. I fear this is going to continue to happen.

All of these other social media sites that you have listed are foreign to me.

I draw the line at MoFo and eBay.

I joined Facebook once (didn't put up any public contact info). Next day my phone started ringing incessantly with spam calls, hang-up calls and sales calls.

Then my computer e-mail started to fill with spam and messages with dead-end links, all this stuff I never saw before. After 3 days, computer started acting really wacky (ran all the anti-virus stuff, and it just go worse). Took it to a local repair place, they charged $25 to tell me the hard drive was corrupted. I asked how much to fix - they said, "We no fix - you fix - order part online - very difficult if not know what you doing!"
I pointed to all their signs that said they repair all kinds of computers.
They said, "Yes, all kind, every kind we fix, anything, nothing too hard, no computer to difficult."
So I said, "Then why can't you fix mine?"
They said, "This hard drive problem, not computer - you need new hard drive."
I asked, "Isn't the hard drive the major part of the computer - and you claim to fix all computers, but you can't fix mine because it's the hard drive - which is basically what makes a computer function?"
They said, "Now you got it! We fix computer - every kind; laptop, desktop, smartphone, inside, outside - no problem too hard; you problem not computer, you problem hard drive."

So I had my friend who was a computer expert order a new harddrive and he installed it for me. Got it home, within one minute it began crashing just as it had before. The computer was totalled and beyond repair. Had to buy a brand new one - this all happened in immediate sequence after joining Facebook. Make of it what you will.