MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2012 - The Regular Season

Tools    

Heres a funny tidbit that happened to my catcher yesterday.......

C Jesus Montero had an embarrassing moment in the fourth inning. He started to walk off the field believing he'd caught a pitch from RHP Hisashi Iwakuma for the third out with Tigers' C Alex Avila up. It was only the second out.

A system of cells interlinked
How is Avila doing this year? I like that guy.

5/8/12 MoFo Roto Report Card

12. Bradenton Red Sox / Ray - The newcomer who landed Pujols & Cliff Lee in one trade couldnt have forseen the most insurmountable obstacle of them all - bad luck. Pujols has had a career low slump. Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, Pablo Sandoval, and Kevin Youklis all on the mend. Pwerformance numbers on all of Rays batting numbers are bad to where hes dead last, or second to last in all batting categories.

He wont recover from this by trading, trust me I know how much he wants for his pitchers . The only thing that will help his squad out is a complete reversal of fortune. Which is quite possible as odds are they all couldnt tank for the entire season. 42 points

11. Dynamic Dynamite / rauldc14 - Strange that Dustin is seconf in the league for total homers, but last in the league for runs. What is a consistent thorn is the overall pitching stats Too many Marlins, and I truly think this latest trade will do nothing but good for the Dynamites. 48.5 points

10. Fresh Out Of Roids' / Powdered Water - Just how many roid analogies are there?! If hes the Roiders are my Naturals roid free?! They must be out of roids cause PWs Freshers are last in the league for homers, 3rd from last in RBIs, and the Ks & Wins are in the bottom too.

Solution - Spring cleaning! Too many established names underperforming, and imo an aggresive trip to the waiver wire and comparing positions would do this squad wonders. 55 points

9. Springfield Isotopes / Yoda - Seems nobody is immune to the mediocrity bug this year as Mr Consistent is near the bottom. Definitely a pitching crisis in this roster - Ks, ERA, & WHIP are a hurtin'! Quite easily the largest number of establshed players underperforming.

What I do know, if history is any indicator, is that this squad will bounce back. Jon Lester with a 4.62 ERA?! I think the worst is over. 58.5 points

8. The Naturals / TONGO - Where do I begin? To make a long story short, Ive altogether had near 10 players on the DL, which has resulted in 96 moves, 13 trades, and I still have 4 on the DL. Bad trades?! Sure. Bad drops? Oh yeah!

Ive found some gems though - Bryan LaHair 8 HRs, Jason Kipnis 5 HRs 6 SBs, Jed Lowrie, Jesus Montero (sorry Dex), Jon Jay 381. Avg, Allen Craig (Hes back!), Fernando Rodney (highest rated closer overall), Kyle Lohse, and Houston closer Brett Myers.

Your defending 2011 MoFo Fantasy Baseball Champion is second to last in Runs, RBI, and Avg., but I see brighter days ahead. 59.5 points

7. The Clueless Clowns / Sedai - No mystery the problem here. The batting is exceptional on the Clowns, and the pitching completely awful. Wandy Rodriguez is the best producer of all the pitchers. This is fixable though. Funny thing - Im sure Sedai, a Red Sox fan, doesnt know what to think having one of his best producers being Derek Jeter 65 points

6. Done and Dunn / voneil - 3 areas of concern, and two will be hard to fix. Stolen Bases stat is awful, but a basestealer isnt hard to find on waivers. The ERA and AVG will be hard to turnaround. Not a bad bunch of players, but other than Cabrera & Granderson, theres no standouts. 65.5 points

5. Dangerous Person / Dionne - The only area critically needing to be helped are the lack of Saves. Closers are hard to find. Batting can be better. Lack of movemaking may find this squad much lower, much sooner. 67.5 points

4. Suicide Squeeze / Tim - The only area Tims team needs immediate work in is stolen bases, so dont anybody tell him . Runs are somewhat low, and the solution is speedier players. We might just have a surprise sleeper in this squad near seasons end 70.5 points

3. Dodgers / Mark - One of the greatest institutions of all baseball teams run by a MoFo institution himself. not surprisingly Marks Dodgers are EDIT IN - doing just fine in SBs, EDIT IN - The pitching is great, and Marks savvy with pitching and Im sure will EDIT IN - Maintain this. 3rd final in 4 years? Perhaps. 78 points.

2. Chevelles / Adam - Ok, who was it that said the strongest coaches flourish in roto? Adams Chevelles have been the most consistent powerhouse since seasons start. Only areas of weakness are surprisingly Homers, and Saves. Some great picks for pitching that nobody couldve seen coming. jake peavy?! whodathunkit 79 points

1. Eve Of Dextruction / DexterRiley - I bust on Dex alot, but for the work he puts into it, it is just a matter of time till he wins a league. The Eves are now the most dominant team in the league. Leading in Runs & Homers, 2nd overall in RBIs & Wins, and just not terribly weak in any area. The roster boasts Prince Fielder, Jose Bautista, Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, CC Sabathia, Ricky Romero, and Jared Weaver. No wonder he's missing Head To Head 91 points, and no signs of slowing down....

Remember folks, the most powerful team in the league has never won. Is season roto the solution? We shall see

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm not sure who you confused me with, but everything you said about my team is inaccurate. I'm 1st in pitching and 3rd in SB. I'm guessing that for me you started thinking the rankings were like golf scores. By the way, there is no final this year.

I'm not sure who you confused me with, but everything you said about my team is inaccurate. I'm 1st in pitching and 3rd in SB. I'm guessing that for me you started thinking the rankings were like golf scores. By the way, there is no final this year.
\
AUGH! Youre right! I saw the rankings and mentally lapsed that the higher the better. Correction will be made.

Yeah, but he's not a pitcher. I get that this almost never happens or else I wouldn't even bring it up. I thought it worth asking about though.
I think what he means is, if Davis' pitching stats count, shouldn't we also take the hit for all the pitchers who hit .140? It's the same principle.

Anyway, yeah, I can't find anything about this digging through the help section, but I'm pretty sure it's not allowed by default. And I don't see an option for the Commissioner that would let me change it, anyway, even if we all agreed (and for any in-season scoring change like that, we'd definitely need unanimous agreement).

5. Dangerous Person / Dionne - The only area critically needing to be helped are the lack of Saves. Closers are hard to find. Batting can be better. Lack of movemaking may find this squad much lower, much sooner. 67.5 points
Awww, your just mad I did not take one of your trade offers. Looking back I do not see how it would have made a difference either way. Thanks for the write up though, they were fun to read. I tend to seesaw a lot because many of my SPs all tend to group together on when they play. I think I gained 5 points in one day on Ks because I had 5 starters that day.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
5/8/12 MoFo Roto Report Card

1. Eve Of Dextruction / DexterRiley - I bust on Dex alot, but for the work he puts into it, it is just a matter of time till he wins a league. The Eves are now the most dominant team in the league. Leading in Runs & Homers, 2nd overall in RBIs & Wins, and just not terribly weak in any area. The roster boasts Prince Fielder, Jose Bautista, Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, CC Sabathia, Ricky Romero, and Jared Weaver. No wonder he's missing Head To Head 91 points, and no signs of slowing down....
I'm doing it with mirrors. It will be fun once Bautista and HanRam get their mojo goin though.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
No surprise really twisted sister is no match for the king.

(which is weird coz i prefer the TS tune, go figure)

8 innings, the Win, zero earned runs plus 10 k's. yep i'll take that.

btw in roto is there any bonus for innings pitched by a starter?

Well Ive climbed up to the 7th spot. Oh man if I had my DL guys Id be tougher than a $2 steak. Jennings Im estimating will be another week, and Jacoby Ellsbury & Drew Storen should be back in a month. In 2 months Longo & Kyle Farnsworth. Farnsworth might be slotted even though Rodney Im sure will stay the closer. You never know with Madden.

My team ERA is currently 4.79. I'm not just in last there, but I'm way, way in last. However, looking ahead, I've got a lot of good pitching matchups next week. So I'm gonna make a bold prediction of sorts and say that that'll be down to, I dunno, 4.10 or 4.20 by the 20th or so. Hard to figure how many good innings I need there, but I think I can realistically drop over half a run in team ERA next week if things go well.

I can dream.

A system of cells interlinked

My pitching:

Garcia does poorly tonight, he's benched. I have some new blood ready to go!

So can I posit a theory here? If there's an innings cap and after 1500 innings nothing else counts then isn't that a non category essentially? Or do you completely lose you innings pitched stat if you go over 1500 innings?

It just stops counting what your pitchers do once you go over; you don't forfeit any categories or anything. You can actually go slightly over, too, because it stops counting the day after you go over. Which means you can go into a day with 1,499 IP and everything that happens that day will count. Here's the help article on IP limits.

I guess, once you hit the limit, it's a "non-category" in the sense that you'd no longer have any use for pitchers, but I can't think of any way to usefully exploit this fact. If you tried to hit the limit super early to trade your pitchers, or something, you'd still a) probably have to throw tons of sup-bar pitchers out there to make it happen and b) you'd only be able to deal to people who were looking like they'd be way below their limit.

I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that once everyone hits 1500 its then a non category so really, you only need to "win" nine other categories to win the league. Is that a fair assessment?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's really a question of strategy, I suppose. Once you go over the innings limit, you get nothing for any of the five pitching categories. The rub is that you don't really want to trade off or give up your best pitchers in the last month because they will definitely help the other teams who are under the limit. Therefore, it not only affects how you pitch but what you can safely do with your offense to try to strengthen it. Of course, this presupposes that there are teams under the limit at the end of the year. The way I'm currently pitching, I'll have my pitching stats available the entire season, but that could always change, and by then, I may be in the crapper anyway.

I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that once everyone hits 1500 its then a non category so really, you only need to "win" nine other categories to win the league. Is that a fair assessment?
It depends on what you mean. The phrasing of your questions always confuses the crap outta me.

There's no category you need to win. Right now someone who finished just better than 4th in every single category would be on top, for example. And pitching categories are never, at any point, any less valuable than any other category, locked in or not. The only real difference is that the final rankings in pitching categories might be determined slightly earlier than the hitting ones.

That said, if you just mean that, once you've hit your limit, there's not much point in thinking about pitching any more, that's true. But then, if we make fewer decisions about pitching later in the year, it's only because we had to make more of them earlier. There's just another layer of strategy involved, because from day one we need to be thinking about whether or not to toss a borderline guy out there, because every single inning is valuable.

Also, just to be super clear: innings pitched is not a category. I mention this only because you said something about winning nine others.