MAY the best song win....

Tools    

Not sure if people are getting a little tired of these or whether the timing simply wasn't great for this one but participation in the qualifying rounds was generally lower than has been in the past. Will start another one up in a few months time and if turnouts are similar I think it might be time for me to call it a day on running these.

@Chyp, theme idea, perhaps it could be cool to do a non-english tourney to run alongside the non-english films list countdown?
Not saying I don't like the idea but sadly I'd worry even more about participation in such a tourney. When rounds are being contested by only a small number of people the likelihood of ties heightens which could then theoretically lead to an overwhelming number of songs in a Final.

I'd certainly have no objections if you (or anyone else for that matter) were to run such a tourney (or any tournament, themed or otherwise) if they want to though - I'd join near enough any tournament that is being run fairly.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Holy s***! :O Did Carlos Paredes just win this??? I'm glad I could interest so many of you in the mesmerizing sound of the Portuguese Guitar and in the musicianship of one of Portugal's best artists of the XX century. And thanks to all who picked so many cools songs and especially to Chyp for running this! I was away for some time because I got an insane amount of work to do, but I'm glad I joined this!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Not sure if people are getting a little tired of these or whether the timing simply wasn't great for this one but participation in the qualifying rounds was generally lower than has been in the past. Will start another one up in a few months time and if turnouts are similar I think it might be time for me to call it a day on running these.

For me, it's 90% time and 10% procrastination. This year has been demanding with work enough as it is, plus mom moving, helping to find her a place to live, a job, travel, etc. I love these lists as I'm sure everyone who participates does. I think in a few months things will be much more level. At least for me.

If it's any consolation, I'm eager to participate in the next one. I came upon this one late in the game, so I didn't jump in. I say, keep them coming!

Holy s***! :O Did Carlos Paredes just win this??? I'm glad I could interest so many of you in the mesmerizing sound of the Portuguese Guitar and in the musicianship of one of Portugal's best artists of the XX century. And thanks to all who picked so many cools songs and especially to Chyp for running this! I was away for some time because I got an insane amount of work to do, but I'm glad I joined this!
He was my favorite discovery of the contest

If it's any consolation, I'm eager to participate in the next one. I came upon this one late in the game, so I didn't jump in. I say, keep them coming!
Welcome to join in anytime it suits

For me it was a combination of health and computer issues. Still haven't gotten youtube sorted out yet nor my Winkey issues, I'm hoping they're connected in some way and I can kill two birds with one stone. So long as I can get it sorted, I'll be back...

Congrats to neiba for winning and thanks for the tournament, Chyp, even if I didn't participate as I'd have wished.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sorry guys but it looks like I won't be able to take part in the final. For reasons I've yet to work out, youtube videos aren't playing. If I get it sorted before the deadline I'll try and vote, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Hopefully I'll be able to take part more often in the next tournament. Maybe my theme of Songs I Love By Artists I Don't jinxed me.

I don't know if you got this fixed yet or not, but if you're using a computer, you might want to try a different browser to find out if it's a browser issue. If it isn't, you can try booting your computer in safe mode with network to see if it works in safe mode.

If you're using a smartphone, someone else will have to help you with that because I'm useless with cell phones.

Sadly doesn't look like hk fixed his YT issue and Yin is hopefully happily in the land of Nod as I type so we might as well go ahead and reveal the results......

1st - Carlos Paredes - Verdes Anos (90 pts)

Congrats to all those with songs in the Final and well done neiba on taking down the win at the first attempt

Warmest thanks as usual to all those that took part over the month, I hope you found it enjoyable and something of a distraction in these current times.

@neiba, Congratulations! You picked a great song!

@Chypmunk, Thank you for running another great song tournament!

I love these song tournaments, and I think you're the best host for them. You came up with a great idea about how to run them without having matches of two songs against each other, so they run much smoother. I love the way people can just drop in and out for each round as their schedules allow.

The only thing that I miss is the song tournaments with a theme. It was fun seeing what songs people would come up with to fit a specific theme, and it made it easier to pick a song to nominate, (at least for me).

Congrats Neiba!

@Chyp, theme idea, perhaps it could be cool to do a non-english tourney to run alongside the non-english films list countdown?

While this is a great idea, I would have to sit this one out because I don't know many foreign language songs. (But I would still be happy listening to the songs that other people nominate. )

The only thing that I miss is the song tournaments with a theme. It was fun seeing what songs people would come up with to fit a specific theme, and it made it easier to pick a song to nominate, (at least for me).
Come up with a theme and if there's enough support for it then either you or I can run one (I really wouldn't mind others running some of these if they so wish).

Let the night air cool you off
For me, it had to do with timing. I just graduated and was dealing with interviews (Including a round-trip car ride that was 1,400 miles in 3 days to interview in person for a job half-the-country away) and other job-getting tasks, I had to deal with getting a fresh driver's license (which doesn't soud bad, but with the Department of Public Safety in this state being a total disaster and appointments being backed way up and the only way to get in is to get to the DPS at 5 in the morning and waiting to be helped and hoping you have every single document you need for them to actually help you and one of the guys that works there being a complete ********, and COVID restrictions, it was an ordeal), and I was involved in two film HoFs, I just didn't have the time, energy, or motivation to add another task on top of it. In hindsight, I probably could have managed just fine though.

EDIT: I think this is the first time I've tried to use the phrase that got censored on this forum. It was dick followed by head for those curious.

No worries jj, warmest 'grats on graduating and best wishes for the job hunt! Sounds like one of them might be a heck of a commute if you get it though

Let the night air cool you off
No worries jj, warmest 'grats on graduating and best wishes for the job hunt! Sounds like one of them might be a heck of a commute if you get it though
Thanks! I got the job and I have a hell of a move ahead of me.

Thanks! I got the job and I have a hell of a move ahead of me.
Whoo-hoo, well done!
And yeah, moving does sound a little more sensible than commuting If you need any help @ynwtf is an expert in such matters I believe

Come up with a theme and if there's enough support for it then either you or I can run one (I really wouldn't mind others running some of these if they so wish).

I might run a song tournament in a few months, but if it's okay with you, I will probably borrow your idea of ranking the songs, rather than having song matches in pairs.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any good theme ideas.

I might run a song tournament in a few months, but if it's okay with you, I will probably borrow your idea of ranking the songs, rather than having song matches in pairs.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any good theme ideas.
It's absolutely fine by me gbg, borrow the idea away as much as you like

I'll try and ruminate on themes that might possibly prove of interest. I think we already used quite a lot of the more obvious ones though .... not that any of them couldn't be reused if wanted.