Noirvember 2022

Tools    

Sorry, it's No Noir November for me... ...no gumshoes for me until December.

Ha! That's Quicksand
OMG ha! Too funny But I'm glad you told me the name of that noir so I can watch it again. It's stuck with me since I seen years ago.

HAWT!
Seriously though I'm gonna recommend what I always do when noir is being discussed, Ride the Pink Horse.
Hell yeah love that one. I rated it a
Here's my review from a few years ago: Ride the Pink Horse review

I watched this last night *normally I only would write a couple of short paragraphs but I guess I had more to say:

Fallen Angel (Otto Preminger 1945)

I knew the title 'Fallen Angel' sounded real familiar when Allaby mentioned it. But it wasn't until I was half way through the film that I realized why it's a landmark film in the history of cinema. That's when I remembered watching a biography on Alice Faye. Faye had done something unique at the time, she walked away from a successfully film career by breaking her studio contract. She did that over this film Fallen Angel. Alice Faye was set to be the costar of the film but the studio cut her role down to allow newcomer Linda Darnell to have a big build up. That pissed off Alice Faye enough that she literally told the studio where they could stick their film and left the movie making business, not returning for another 17 years.

My thoughts on the film: as I was watching it, it seemed in the first half to be disjointed and didn't flow really well. Dana Andrews didn't seem really suited to his pitch/con man role. Linda Darnell didn't evoke a femme fatale quality that would make men do anything to get her. My thoughts about Darnell's character was that she was a loser who slung hash and had a poor attitude. When I first seen Alice Faye she seemed to be a background character and Dana Andrews showing interesting in her seemed at first to come out of the blue. I attribute that to the film's editing with important scenes with Alice Faye being cut out.

But all of that changes in the third act and the film tightens up to a good mystery that kept me guessing as to the film's outcome. Loved Charles Bickford as a violent cop putting on gloves to beat a suspect, ouch! I also liked Dana Andrews final outcome which was surprising given the Hays Code.

Good film, enjoyed it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-3737907462.png
Views:	235
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	89649  

Victim of The Night
Are we being strict about our definitions of Noir or are contemporary and genre-hyphenated noirs also acceptable?

Are we being strict about our definitions of Noir or are contemporary and genre-hyphenated noirs also acceptable?
I’ve always been pretty loosey goosey with my noir, as it’s a fairly nebulous term to begin with. Neo-noir, Nikkatsu-noir, Tech-noir, and Franco-noir are all welcome for me.

That said, I do put classic noir at the forefront.

Kicked off my own noirvember with a watch of I Walk Alone. A fairly standard classic noir notable primarily for the presence of both Lancaster and Douglas. Some cool hard boiled lines here and there but nothing too spectacular.

Just a fun hang out thread for noir fans. You can define it anyway you want, I don't think any two people completely agree on what is and isn't noir...so it's all good. Myself I'm partial to the classic period of noirs in the 40s and 50s but I've seen proto and neo noirs that I dug.

It's Noirvember...That time of the year when shadows get long and cast ominous shapes on the walls of smoke filled rooms...and rain pours down like a leaky faucet on back alley streets where gun toting dicks and shady perps slink. And hot dames? Always hot dames.

Like last year, this is just a fun thread to hang out and talk about noirs, no commitments, very chilled. If you watch some noirs or know of some good ones pop in and let us know about them. I'm up for watching a ton of noirs this month and if someone mentions one especially one that they're about to watch I'll try to watch it too.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a noir movie.

I watched Fallen Angel yesterday. I liked the performances and thought the story was alright. It was solid and worth watching, but didn’t blow me away.

DOA was my favorite as a kid. The remake with Dennis Quaid was good too.
Mildred Pierce is kind of the grande dame of noir. It's definitely not on a shoestring budget put the mood and the lighting and cinematography have noirish feel to it.

I watched Fallen Angel yesterday. I liked the performances and thought the story was alright. It was solid and worth watching, but didn’t blow me away.
That sums it up well for me...But I'm glad I watched it, thanks

DOA was my favorite as a kid. The remake with Dennis Quaid was good too.
Mildred Pierce is kind of the grande dame of noir. It's definitely not on a shoestring budget put the mood and the lighting and cinematography have noirish feel to it.
Love Mildred Pierce, it's in my Top 10 on my profile. Have you seen the mini series with Kate Winslet? That was real good too.....Oh and DOA

Love Mildred Pierce, it's in my Top 10 on my profile. Have you seen the mini series with Kate Winslet? That was real good too.
No I haven't seen the HBO series. I will check it out. It didn't appeal to me initially because it is filmed in such a soft focus way and part of my love of the old film is the crispness of the photography.

No I haven't seen the HBO series. I will check it out. It didn't appeal to me initially because it is filmed in such a soft focus way and part of my love of the old film is the crispness of the photography.
I'm with you on that, I do love the old B&W film look. I usually don't like remakes, though it's not a remake of Mildred Pierce the movie. They went to the original James M. Cain's 1941 novel and based it on that. If you're interested check out this thread Mildred Pierce (2011)

Victim of The Night
Just a fun hang out thread for noir fans. You can define it anyway you want, I don't think any two people completely agree on what is and isn't noir...so it's all good. Myself I'm partial to the classic period of noirs in the 40s and 50s but I've seen proto and neo noirs that I dug.
I love Classic Noir. Absolutely love it. To be clear.
But how do you feel about Blade Runner?

Love Mildred Pierce, it's in my Top 10 on my profile. Have you seen the mini series with Kate Winslet? That was real good too.....Oh and DOA
LOVE it! Is that noir?

I love Classic Noir. Absolutely love it. To be clear.
But how do you feel about Blade Runner?
I seen Blade Runner several times first run at the theater. I love the original cut, can't stand the altered Final Cut, yeah I know I'm weird. But I'm guessing you're asking, if I think it's noir? I personally wouldn't call it noir but I'd call it 'noirish'. I'd be OK if someone wants to call it neo noir, but personally I wouldn't consider it that.

Noir is more a style than a genre so it's open to interpretation. Definitely the original Joan Crawford Mildred Pierce is Noir.
Is Body Heat with Hurt & what’s-her name noir? Is noir a look rather than the movie’s content?

Is Body Heat with Hurt & what’s-her name noir? Is noir a look rather than the movie’s content?
Depends on who you ask. I would say it's the feel of the content and often the look but not always the look. I recently seen Body Heat for the first time and was amazed. I wrote this little review, if you haven't seen it don't read it as I mention some plot points. Body Heat review

It’s neo-noir.

Classic Noir refers to cynical American crime films made post-Great Depression through the ‘40s and ‘50s (bookended by Maltese Falcon and Touch of Evil). It’s more of an era than a genre, though it’s influence spans countries and numerous subgenres.

That said, there are some accepted tropes: private detectives, mysteries, anti-heroes, femme fatales, greed as a motivator, shadows and smoke. But mainly, it’s the cynicism about modern society and how it causes these characters to make amoral choices to get ahead.

Neo-noir are films made in the same vein as noir but exist outside of that classic era (Chinatown, LA Confidential, Sin City).

Proto-noir are films that align with these sensibilities but predate the accepted start of the era, such as Fritz Lang’s films.