Thief's Monthly Movie Loot - 2021 Edition

Tools    

Nice! I wanted to get to Whiplash, but I had a helluva busy month and ended up running against the clock the last week. I also considered The Power of the Dog, but prioritized Sergeant Rutledge based on MKS recommendation.

Re: Young and Innocent, I thought this was OK. I "binged" it during an online Hitchcock course I took, along with his other spy thrillers of the late 1930s (The 39 Steps, Sabotage, Secret Agent, and The Lady Vanishes) and it worked fairly well within that context. I would still agree, though, that it's not among his best.

Thanks for joining the loot!
Thank you for running it!

I really did not like Whiplash, but admittedly I'm an outlier there--critics seem to have loved it. (Of course, they are wrong and I am right, so...)

Let's see what I do now for 2022. I will probably set the categories, but not be as strict with the amount of films or even the categories themselves. It's become really hard to keep up with this along with work, family, the podcast...

Let's see what I do now for 2022. I will probably set the categories, but not be as strict with the amount of films or even the categories themselves. It's become really hard to keep up with this along with work, family, the podcast...
Whatever you end up doing, I appreciate the effort all these years (I can sympathize with the time crunch for sure). Cheers!

Say goodbye to December and say goodbye to 2021 by checking out Episode 52 of The Movie Loot, in which I share my thoughts on all the films I saw during December.

Thief's Monthly Movie Loot 52 - The December Loot

Remember that you can also listen to the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and most podcasting platforms.

A system of cells interlinked
Thief in here keeping up with his Loot thread/podcast AND the countdown.

Savage double duty!

Just for kicks, here is a kinda comprehensive list of everything I saw during the year: a total of 163 films; a tad less than the 201 I saw in 2020, but that was expected what with me lowering the monthly goal. Anyway, here it is...

NUMBER IN ITS TITLE  

ALPHABET TITLE  

BY DECADES  

BY GENRES  

OTHER GENRE CLASSIFICATIONS  

FROM THE CRITERION COLLECTION WHOSE  

BY COUNTRY'S INDEPENDENCE OR NATIONAL DAY  

BY BIRTHDAYS  

AWARDS AND OTHER CLASSIFICATIONS  

MINORITIES & RELATIONSHIPS  

HOLIDAYS & SEASONS  

BY SETTING & TOPIC  

WORDS IN TITLE  

FREEBIES  

Rewatches are in blue, short films in red.

Brief comments as I see you've already moved on to 2022 (and rightly so).
Charlie Wilson's War - own it, watched once years ago and remember enjoying it to some degree but no great memory of it.
Scanners - somewhat trashy and hasn't dated particularly well but it's a fun concept and an entertaining enough watch I think.
Phantom Thread - thoroughly enjoyed this one, possibly my favourite PTA thus far.
Rafiki - wasn't much of a fan of this one, the core was ok but like you I thought the peripheral aspects to the story were poorly written (so much so that was the only note I made on it).
Sergeant Rutledge - probably seen it decades ago but no memory so can't comment. The wife is partial to courtroom dramas though so no doubts I will get to watch it again some day.
One And One Is Twelve - definitely never seen and your review doesn't make me want to change that
Chicago - seen at least parts of it, not sure if I've ever sat through it all though. Ought to one day really, most likely whenever we get round to doing a Musicals countdown on here.
Mickey's Christmas Carol - no idea if I've ever seen this but the wife is a HUGE Disney fan so if she spots it on a schedule at some point no doubts I will lol.

Brief comments as I see you've already moved on to 2022 (and rightly so).
Charlie Wilson's War - own it, watched once years ago and remember enjoying it to some degree but no great memory of it.
Scanners - somewhat trashy and hasn't dated particularly well but it's a fun concept and an entertaining enough watch I think.
Phantom Thread - thoroughly enjoyed this one, possibly my favourite PTA thus far.
Rafiki - wasn't much of a fan of this one, the core was ok but like you I thought the peripheral aspects to the story were poorly written (so much so that was the only note I made on it).
Sergeant Rutledge - probably seen it decades ago but no memory so can't comment. The wife is partial to courtroom dramas though so no doubts I will get to watch it again some day.
One And One Is Twelve - definitely never seen and your review doesn't make me want to change that
Chicago - seen at least parts of it, not sure if I've ever sat through it all though. Ought to one day really, most likely whenever we get round to doing a Musicals countdown on here.
Mickey's Christmas Carol - no idea if I've ever seen this but the wife is a HUGE Disney fan so if she spots it on a schedule at some point no doubts I will lol.
Thanks for your thoughts. Feel free to still use this thread if you want to reply or comment on any other film I saw last year.