No, comic book movies are not taking away the fun of going to the movie theatre. In fact, Avengers Infinity War was one of the best theatre going experiences I've had in the past few years. Some films are better experienced on the big screen.

Are some superhero films rubbish? Yes. Increasingly so. But I don't think that's the real issue either.

The issue raised in the first post is that of a lack of variety. Certain films are pushing other films out. Even the smaller, traditionally more alternative cinemas now seem to be showing the big movies. Which means nobody is showing the small movies. I had a few movies I wanted to watch last month but most of them were only showing for a week before they were gone, or not at all.

Superhero films definitely have a hand in this. Black Adam and Black Panther are among the culprits taking up several screens (even though I've only once seen a full screen post COVID). But there's also Lyle Lyle Crocodile and Ticket to Paradise which seem to be in week after week. It seems that the most popular movies becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - of course they are most popular if there's nothing else available.

I don't know how the economics of distribution works, but does it really cost so much to screen films that it works out better not to give the opportunity to screen them?

I wonder if Netflix is also to blame a little bit - why go to the cinema if you know it will be on streaming in a couple of weeks. Remember when it was at least a year before a film would come out on VHS? (No? Just me that's that old then...)