Dishonest movie marketing

Tools    

.Today in Asda next to the modern top movies they had the film "Rommel" with a big sign underneath saying NEW, I immediately recognized the actor and recall watching this film years ago, I googled and this was a TV movie from 2012 for crying out loud, I was really close to making a complaint but maybe that is pedantic.. besides which I know the old woman at customer services won't give a toss or know what I'm on about.

I have even started noticing it in HMV, it's just dumb, sorry rant over.

lol, that would piss me off. What a way to drive people to make purchases online. What if you bought hte same movie twice after they changed the title, lol.

Let's talk about how they sold a character drama about childhood:

AAAAARRRGGH!!! I remember the book from when I was a kid, and the human story hit me hard. Now I could never hit the movie (or is it just the trailer?) as hard as it deserves.

Since I have no intention of seeing the move, I'll go ahead and ask: Beyond the title and character names, does it have ANYTHING to do with the original story?

The worst offender I can think of is "Primeval", whose poster promised a lurid thriller about a "serial killer". OK, I'm a slasher fan, I'm on board with this. But then the "murderer" turns out to be
WARNING: "Primeval" spoilers below
a CROCODILE??!!!
OK, well, maybe, just maybe, while they're looking for the "murderer", some guy in a hockey mask might still come at them with a machete or a chainsaw. (I didn't think it was too much to ask; the movie owed us that much, at least.) But no.

I was offended at not only being manipulated into expecting a completely different genre (can't upload images or links from my tablet, but check out the poster and/or the trailer and you'll see what I mean), but I was offended mostly at
WARNING: "Primeval" spoilers below
the movie's morally equating a carnivorous animal's natural predation for food with a human serial killer's unnatural predation for kinky jollies. Pissed me off no end as a wildlife advocate and predator fan.
(Just for the record, it was against my better judgment -- and taste -- to dignify this movie's marketing with spoiler tags. Just saying.)

OK, rant's over. I feel better already.

AAAAARRRGGH!!! I remember the book from when I was a kid, and the human story hit me hard. Now I could never hit the movie (or is it just the trailer?) as hard as it deserves.

Since I have no intention of seeing the move, I'll go ahead and ask: Beyond the title and character names, does it have ANYTHING to do with the original story?
I haven't read the book, but from what I hear the movie is a quite faithful adaptation (the author's son was the producer and co-writer). The problem lied in the advertising campaign, which was heavily criticized for being misleading. I guess they tried to join the bandwagon of Narnia at the time, and well, they cherrypicked sequences all over the film to make it look like a fantasy adventure. The filmmakers themselves were against this campaign and shied away from it.

I haven't read the book, but from what I hear the movie is a quite faithful adaptation (the author's son was the producer and co-writer). The problem lied in the advertising campaign, which was heavily criticized for being misleading. I guess they tried to join the bandwagon of Narnia at the time, and well, they cherrypicked sequences all over the film to make it look like a fantasy adventure. The filmmakers themselves were against this campaign and shied away from it.
Must have come as a shock to kids who went in expecting the Narnia-type crap! 😀

I've noticed a trend with some DVDs that they don't tell you what year the movie came out. They leave it blank, which can give the impression that the movie is new when, in fact, it may be decades old.

I've noticed a trend with some DVDs that they don't tell you what year the movie came out. They leave it blank, which can give the impression that the movie is new when, in fact, it may be decades old.
Or worse, you may expect an original movie and end up with a [gasp!] remake. 😠

'Captain America: Civil War' promised actual serious consequences within the overstuffed family friendly nonsense that is the MCU.

What we got was another Marvel Farce that every Online Critic Praised, for It's "Conflict" and "Political Metaphors," like It's some breathtaking fresh piece of cinema or some bullcrap.

Everyone talks about how It's A Wonderful Life is a happy family film about a guy learning what would happen if he was never born, when that only happens in the last 20 minutes.
And how many minutes of the movie does The Deerhunter actually go hunting for a deer? You could say that many movies don't exactly adhere to the title.

And how many minutes of the movie does The Deerhunter actually go hunting for a deer? You could say that many movies don't exactly adhere to the title.
I'm not talking about the title, I'm talking about how people talk about the film. Obviously The Deer Hunter isn't about hunting deer!

I'm not talking about the title, I'm talking about how people talk about the film. Obviously The Deer Hunter isn't about hunting deer!
In a way, it is.

It happens a lot actually. Even in trailers.
Trailers seem to have two extremes. Some of them literally spoil all the major events of the movie whilst others use scenes that aren't even in the movie.

Trailers seem to have two extremes. Some of them literally spoil all the major events of the movie whilst others use scenes that aren't even in the movie.
I've actually been suckered into seeing more than one lousy movie on the strength of one line or joke in a trailer, which didn't make it into the final cut.

Most of the time these days, though, it seems like I can sit through a five-minute trailer and still have no idea what the movie is about.

One thing that bugs me is when a movie is cut (like Suicide Squad) to fit the trailers expectations.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are a bunch of popular movies dishing out the entire plot in trailers these days. So, I didn't feel I had to watch Batman v. Superman because the trailer felt like a free lunch.

I'm not going to lie, that made me pretty happy.