The 4th Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Glad you liked it!

I think I'm going to have to change my nom Atmenah I can't find it online. Sorry about that.
I'll send cam a pm because I want to comment but dont want to spoil.

Disney's Feast next. I need to mke a coffee then wtch something cute.

Disney's Feast next. I need to mke a coffee then wtch something cute.
That's my nom, hope you like it

Thanks but I dont want to spoil that short. I PM'd Camo.

Tht little film gives a high octane hit. Works better than a triple espresso.

Very cute, Titu, but I;m not getting the punchline, or is there not meant to be one? Very cute boston terrier.

Are we only viewing 2 per week or is it ok to \scoot forward? And should we view in order because I;m doing what Cam did and watching the shortest first just so I get used to watching lengthier shorts on my laptop.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Are we only viewing 2 per week or is it ok to \scoot forward? And should we view in order because I;m doing what Cam did and watching the shortest first just so I get used to watching lengthier shorts on my laptop.
The dealine is calculated with 2 per week, but you can watch them all today if you want to!

I'm also doing that, with some exceptions!

The dealine is calculated with 2 per week, but you can watch them all today if you want to!

I'm also doing that, with some exceptions!
Have you seen Spider yet, Neibs? I'm still on a high from that. Curled my hair.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Spider

So, I wasn't expecting this at all! Dani is right, it totally surprises even when you think you know what will happen! It's a very nice short movie, thanks Camo.

Animal Beatbox

Didn't find this particularly funny! The animation is interesting and it sure is catchy but apart from that, I haven't found nothing that I liked a lot here.

Bomb

This is funny! I kind of saw where it was all going the moment the guy put the shirt on his head but I still found the ending very funny! It's really well done!

Paperman

This was nominated on a previous Short HoF, I think, and it wasn't new to me then, so this is at least the 3rd time I'm watching it.
It has the typical animation of Pixar and its typical quality. Short but very beautiful! This will do well here, I foresee!

Pop goes the Easel

It's a very funny short film from the Three Stooges with its trademark physical humour, I laughed at some parts even if this kind of jokes have been remade countless times since 1935.

Spider

So, I wasn't expecting this at all! Dani is right, it totally surprises even when you think you know what will happen! It's a very nice short movie, thanks Camo.

Animal Beatbox

Didn't find this particularly funny! The animation is interesting and it sure is catchy but apart from that, I haven't found nothing that I liked a lot here.

Bomb

This is funny! I kind of saw where it was all going the moment the guy put the shirt on his head but I still found the ending very funny! It's really well done! .
nimal Beatbox caused a real stir when it won that year. Very divisive. As I said to you in my pm, I feel it was the maker giving the bird to Polson (tropfest organiser) for choosing shorts that give him maximum media attention and discussion, but that was just my take. I dont know if that's true, or if Damon was just having some silly fun, but it makes me laugh to view it that way.

Bomb I loved when I first saw it and still makes me laugh. In the spirit of full disclosure because I dont want to be seen as a shill - I know the cast and crew of that. I have not been paid, even a piddly beer or t shirt, for plugging that.

Spider was amazing. I thought I knew what was coming but I was wrong...so wrong. What a ride.

edit to add - Bomb was a pisstake at a very expensive campaign by the then PM of Aus about terrorism. Be Alert Not Alarmed, which freaked a lot of people out, and pissed a lot of people off. Typical irreverent aussie humour.

Paperman is a really sweet uplifting lil film. I need more of that with the current state of play in the world. Who nom'd that?

I had no idea how much fun this would be.

Titu again. Nice job young fella.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I have seen, including mine, 6 of these films already. And if you think you know me well enough, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out which ones are the other 4. There was only one other one that I'd heard about. But these all seem pretty interesting to me.

I will begin (and probably will be finishing ) watching next week.

Very glad about the reactions to Spider wasn't sure what people would think. I pretty much felt the same as you after it Dani haha, i see you PM'd me about it i'll read and reply in a minute.

Also really appreciate both of you not spoiling anything, as you know you really can't know a thing about it going in similar to what Cosmic said about her nom

If you liked that BTW the guy made another short later called Bear; it's not as shocking but it is really funny i feel. And it was the actor who made it; he is Joel Edgerton's brother
Yeh I've got Bear up to view, and Nash is indeed Joel's brother. Also involved with Blue Tongue Films.

I'm a spoiler free zone, Cam, except to say it's sooo good.

And you'll laugh at my PM. Surprised I didnt wake up my husband or make the dogs bark.

haha i know it was your personal nightmare.
LOL. Still laughing at how hard you got me. And I know it totally unintentional. Going to check Cosmic's nom in a sec.

Let the night air cool you off
I thought about joining and nominating a Buster Keaton short, but I just can't handle my load right now.

Cool to see The Mystery of the Leaping Fish nominated, it's a weird ass film. I'll be rooting for the Hertzfeldt short, but I doubt it will have much success.

Ohh Dust was great. Looking forward to debriefing once everyone sees it. This is going to be a tough vote. Great to see Rickman again.

And that's it for me until later in the day. Have to go and get nuked for a scan but will keep reading ny further posts.

Animal Beatbox (2011)
Dir. Damon Gameux
This was quite amusing, and rather creative (regardless as to whether or not the idea was original, as per the controversy mentioned earlier in the thread). It reminds me of the sort of videos that became massively popular on the internet in the pre-Youtube days. That stuff has become a dime a dozen over the last decade, but it's still fun to watch.

Bomb (2005)
Dir. Aleister Grierson
I wish this had been named something different, since it's easy to see where the film is going fairly quickly when you have that title in mind. That said, the journey towards the inevitable ending is still entertaining, and that's the most important part. I hope I'm not the only one who laughed at the end.

Dust (2013)
Dir. Ben Ockrent, Jake Russel
Like I said before, it's best not to know anything about the plot going into this, so I'm not going to spoil the reveal. What I like about the film is the build-up to that point, the sinister vibe underneath it, and the anticipation of waiting to see what exactly is going to happen. And of course, the late Alan Rickman is always a pleasure to watch, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Flankers (2014)
Dir. Justin Oakey
Despite being regarded as a very friendly province, the people who live in rural Newfoundland have a tendency to be incredibly prejudiced against people from other outport communities. These are places that are still fairly isolated with very few resources and a harsh climate to deal with, so while the residents definitely look after their own, they don't take too kindly to outsiders from neighbouring communities, especially if there has been a dispute between the two in the past.

Flankers, which I only saw for the first time the other day, tackles that subject matter head-on. I was actually really surprised by the honest portrayal and the lack of emphasis placed on the theme of “coming together against adversity” that is disgustingly common in practically everything about Newfoundland. Seeing it underplayed here was really nice. In case you're wondering about the relevancy of the title, “flankers” is a local word for those active fire embers that pop up on their own. Given how troublesome Newfoundland dialects can be to people not familiar with them, if you have any issues with understanding the dialogue, just let me know and I can translate it into common English for you.

Paperman (2012)

Dir. John Kars
The link provided for Paperman did not work for me (it would only play about a minute of the video), so I watched it elsewhere on Youtube. While this was kind of cute at the start, I don't typically find those ridiculous romantic comedy films to be very amusing, so I kind of lost interest in this the longer it went on. I can certainly see the appeal to people who like those kind of films, but it's just not my cup of tea. It was nicely animated though.

Spider (2007)
Dir. Nash Edgerton
I really enjoyed this. I was engrossed from the opening quote (attributed to mum because everyone's mothers have said that line at some point haha), to the amusing and unexpected ending. This is another film you really just need to see for yourself, so unfortunately there's nothing else I can really say about this other than for you guys just to go watch it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
two great surprises today, reading through the 13th HoF and seeing the noms and THEN doing the same with this thread ---- SWEET!!!