Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
you, sir, are ADORABLE

lol

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't really consider Jane Austen a "rom-com" ever, but your comment made me think of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". I never read the book (I only read two of the books like that: Little Women and Werewolves and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter). The books were OK, but I didn't know if I'd have an interest in the Pride and Prejudice one. I decided to watch the movie a few months ago. It was HORRIBLE. Just horrible. It was so boring. It was just bad. If someone likes it, fine, but it was agonizing for me to watch. No real purpose to my comment, I guess, but that just reminded me of that film (which is the only thing I could see someone nominating) and I just had to say how much I HATED it.

I honestly wouldn't mind doing a ghost story themed HoF, but I don't know how much interest there would be in that. The idea came to my mind a few months ago when I just happened to watch 3 films over one weekend with ghosts as the main subject. I don't particularly consider any ghost story as a horror story. I always think of them as either suspense or thriller when they are meant to keep people a little on edge when watching them. But I guess the one would be considered "horror" (like I said, I wouldn't), the next would have to be nothing but a suspense film and the third was a comedy. And then I thought that if enough people had enough interest in it, there could be such a wide variety of films. But I don't know if there would be enough people to care about it to even try it.

I don't mind ghost stories when they're more suspense and/or thriller movies, but I hate the blood and gore in most modern horror movies. I wouldn't join a ghost story HoF because there would most likely be a few movies in it that I would hate, but I might participate a bit from the sidelines.

The Buddy Holly Story (Steve Rash, 1978)
I'm not a big fan of Buddy Holly, but I don't dislike him either. I've seen this movie before, but not recently, so it will be nice to rewatch it.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (Liam Lynch, 2006)
I've never heard of this movie, and I don't know anything about it.

Pink Floyd - The Wall (Alan Parker, 1982)
This was another midnight movie that I was dragged to too many times back in college. I didn't understand it then, and I doubt I'll understand it now. But at least Hubby has it on DVD, so it will be easy for me to find.

Walk the Line (James Mangold, 2005)
As a country music fan, I've seen this movie several times, and I have it on DVD, so of course, it's a favorite, and I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Once (John Carney, 2007)
I've heard a couple of songs from this movie, but I haven't seen the movie yet. I tried DVRing it a while back when it aired as the PBS Saturday night movie, but my DVR messed up, and I missed it. I'm looking forward to finally watching it.

Eddie and the Cruisers (Martin Davidson, 1983)
This was on my shortlist of movies to nominate for this HoF, and it came down to my nomination or this, so I'm glad to see that this was nominated by someone else.

The Idolmaker (Taylor Hackford, 1980)
(BTW, the year for The Idolmaker is 1980, not 1983, and it was directed by Taylor Hackford, not Martin Davidson.)
This is my nomination, so of course it's another favorite movie for me. I tried to stay away from country music because I know that most of you don't like country music, so I didn't want to force you to watch a movie filled with music you hate. Hopefully at least some of you will enjoy this movie.

For those of you who haven't heard of The Idolmaker, it's based on the biographies of Fabian, Frankie Avalon, and the guy who discovered them, Bob Marcucci.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Pink Floyd - The Wall (Alan Parker, 1982)
This was another midnight movie that I was dragged to too many times back in college. I didn't understand it then, and I doubt I'll understand it now. But at least Hubby has it on DVD, so it will be easy for me to find.
It's rather straightforward. Pink [the main character] is Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's bass player.

The movie is pretty much his own Ego masturbation. It's all about him.

His sorrow for his dad's death [his dad was a soldier]
His smothering relationship with his mom
His school days
His failed marriage
His contempt for stardom
And his [awful] relationship with the audience

It's a classic case of "me me me me me"

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
don't see a RomCom HoF, we may have to see if there's an interest for that one lol
There don't seem to be a lot of rom-com fans here, but I'd be interested in a rom-com HoF if there are enough people interested in it. (As long as we don't get a bunch of zombie and werewolf rom-coms. I don't know, some of the people here might even nominate slasher rom-coms )
I'd join a rom-com HoF.

I'd even promise not to nominate any zombie rom-coms. Or zom-rom-coms.

(Although you might have to specify it as a non-zom-rom-com hall of fame...)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The rest of the movies have been posted. But if you are too lazy to go looking for it , this is the complete list now (with the new set of second nominations listed in blue):
The Buddy Holly Story
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Pink Floyd – The Wall
Walk the Line
Once
Eddie and the Cruisers
The Idolmaker
La Bamba
School of Rock
Amadeus
The Commitments
Get Him to the Greek
Coal Miner’s Daughter
The Jazz Singer

(clearly someone is a fan of Jack Black ).

But if you are curious to see who nominated what, just go back to the first page:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...92#post1655692

And when thoughts/reviews come in, the links to those specific ones will be listed here:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...93#post1655693

The deadline is Sunday, June 18th.

(BTW, the year for The Idolmaker is 1980, not 1983, and it was directed by Taylor Hackford, not Martin Davidson.)
Thanks for pointing that out, and it is corrected. I realized what I did this morning. I put all of that info into Word to have it laid out the way that I wanted it. And when I added your movie, I copy and pasted Destiny's info just so I knew how I wanted it typed out (because I was going to copy and paste it all to here then). Then I filed it in with your info instead, and I remembered typing the name Taylor Hackford, but I must not have saved it. So thanks for letting me know about that mistake. And I double checked all of the others. They should all be correct now.

School of Rock and Amadeus are great, the latter would've been one i might have picked. Really don't like Get Him To The Greek. Not seen any of the others, going to try and see Once and maybe something else.

I like the second batch even better than the first ones. My thoughts

La Bamba (Luis Valdez, 1987)
Nominated by Citizen Rules
I'm not sure how I came to think of this movie as my nom, sometimes my mind works in mysterious ways

School of Rock (Richard Linklater, 2003)
Nominated by Clazor
Good, I wanted to watch more of Linklater's films. I haven't seen many, but now I'll have seen another.

Amadeus (Milos Forman, 1984)
Nominated by edarsenal
I loved this when it first came out. I haven't seen it since 1985, a long time ago! I wonder if this will still work for me?

The Commitments (Alan Parker, 1991)
Nominated by SilentVamp
I remember when this came out and I wanted to see it, as the blonde girl in the band was totally cute. You know which one I mean...the cute one

Get Him to the Greek
(Nicholas Stoller, 2010)
Nominated by ShopkeeperTriumph
I have no idea on this one, never heard of it, I guess I'll find out

Coal Miner’s Daughter
(Michael Apted, 1980)
Nominated by Destiny
Glad this was nominated, I'm not sure if I've seen it or not, but have been thinking about watching it every since I seen the biopic on Hank Williams I Saw the Light (2015)

The Jazz Singer (Richard Fleischer, 1980)
Nominated by gbgoodies
I've seen this one recently and liked it. I liked the original The Jazz Singer (1927) too.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Again, a very interesting set of nominations. I am ashamed to admit I've never seen Amadeus, despite the fact that I bought it 3 frickin' years ago. It's been sitting on a shelf for all this time, feeling neglected. Until now. Ed, thank you very much for giving me the the kick in the butt I needed to actually see this movie.

As for the rest, never seen. I was dimly aware that Get him to the Greek existed, but beyond that I know prescious little. Of the 14 noms here, I've never seen 11. It's time to make up for that.

Get Him To The Greek is a spinoff of another comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall. You don't have to have seen FSM though. It's Russell Brand's character in FSM's film, he was only the other man: a punchline basically in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and i don't think there's much overlap between the two.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Nominated by SilentVamp
I remember when this came out and I wanted to see it, as the blonde girl in the band was totally cute. You know which one I mean...the cute one

I just had a feeling someone would say something about her.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@Clazor to know that I was kicking a younger man's butt would put a big ole smile on my father's ghost's face. lol
Getting the opportunity to see flicks I normally wouldn't or wanted to and never did is a great lil bonus to these HoFs and Tournaments.

La Bamba (Luis Valdez, 1987)
Nominated by Citizen Rules
With the Buddy Holly Story, all we need is a lil documentary on The Big Bopper and we pretty much got this lil airplane ride covered. Have not seen this since it first came out but do remember it being quite good. So, YAY, revisit!

School of Rock (Richard Linklater, 2003)
Nominated by Clazor
Yeah, so someone IS a bit of a Jack Black fan. lol Saw this when it came out and will be doing a revisit now.

Amadeus (Milos Forman, 1984)
Nominated by edarsenal
Quick lil side note; for those with Netflix this is the extended version running 3 hr. There are theatrical versions of only 2 hr 40 min to be found. So, depending on your (non)enjoyment, choose to your liking.

Nominated by SilentVamp
Actually, FINALLY got to see this about a year ago. Pretty good flick. Look forward to the rewatch.

Get Him to the Greek (Nicholas Stoller, 2010)
Nominated by ShopkeeperTriumph
Another I previously saw and will again.

Coal Miner’s Daughter (Michael Apted, 1980)
Nominated by Destiny
Haven't seen this since it first came out - looking forward to the revisit

Nominated by gbgoodies
Remembering loving this one and its been WAY too long since I saw it last.

So, nothing new just a string of great revisits -SWEET

Great Noms everyone!!!

It's rather straightforward. Pink [the main character] is Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's bass player.

The movie is pretty much his own Ego masturbation. It's all about him.

His sorrow for his dad's death [his dad was a soldier]
His smothering relationship with his mom
His school days
His failed marriage
His contempt for stardom
And his [awful] relationship with the audience

It's a classic case of "me me me me me"

Thanks. I'll try to remember this info when I watch the movie. Maybe it will help.

In the past, I've been told that the movie only makes sense if you're high when you watch it, but I don't take drugs, so that's never going to happen.

Nominated by gbgoodies
I've seen this one recently and liked it. I liked the original The Jazz Singer (1927) too.
Nominated by gbgoodies
Remembering loving this one and its been WAY too long since I saw it last.
I never hear anyone talk about The Jazz Singer, so I thought this was going to be another movie that everyone would say that they hadn't seen before. I'm glad to see that the few people who have seen it liked it. I hope you like it on a rewatch too.

La Bamba - I saw this movie on TV a few times, usually with commercials. It will be nice to watch the uncut and uninterrupted version for a change.

School of Rock - I've heard of this movie, but I haven't seen it.

Amadeus - This has been on my watchlist for years, but I still haven't seen it. It's about time I finally watch it.

The Commitments - I've never heard of this movie, and I know nothing about it.

Get Him to the Greek - I've never heard of this movie, and I know nothing about it.

Coal Miner’s Daughter - This is another movie that I haven't seen in what feels like forever. I know I'll love the music. I hope I love the movie just as much.

The Jazz Singer - This is my nom, so of course I love it. This movie made me fall in love with Neil Diamond's music. He's been a favorite singer of mine ever since I saw this movie in the theater back in 1980.

I think we talked about The Jazz Singer before. I think you told me about it and that's why I watched it. I expect I will like it on a rewatch, it told a heart felt story that I could relate to.

I think we talked about The Jazz Singer before. I think you told me about it and that's why I watched it. I expect I will like it on a rewatch, it told a heart felt story that I could relate to.

I hope people like it. Neil Diamond isn't a very good actor, but he's an amazing singer, and this is a musical HoF, so hopefully that will be enough for everyone.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
A heads-up for you people who don't own The Buddy Holly Story, it seems to exist in its entirity on youtube:

A heads-up for you people who don't own The Buddy Holly Story, it seems to exist in its entirity on youtube:

Thanks, but I got the message "This video contains content from Sony Pictures Movies & Shows, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. Sorry about that.", so it seems to be blocked in the U.S.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Thanks. I'll try to remember this info when I watch the movie. Maybe it will help.

In the past, I've been told that the movie only makes sense if you're high when you watch it, but I don't take drugs, so that's never going to happen.
I was going to see the Wall.... but then I got high