Is Anyone Upset About The Nice Guys Box Office Performance?

Tools    

Hi guys, first of all I would like to say that I am new here and this is my first post. But to my question, I saw The Nice Guys yesterday and I thought it was fantastic! It was a little slow at the beginning and lacked a truly compelling villain IMO but they are very small nit picks, The Nice Guys is near perfect and is the best film of 2016 so far for me.

But it saddens me that it's opening weekend was very weak. I know it is rated R in the U.S so that limits the audience, but I just don't understand why it is not taking in a lot of cash? It is fun, well reviewed, fresh and has big name stars. Why is this not making half the money Deadpool did? I know Deadpool had better marketing and is a superhero film but going by the content of the film, the rating and the reception they are actually quite similar.

Maybe people don't like this kind of genre? I don't know but if somebody could give me an idea or just talk about it, that would be great. I am really hoping this is not a sign that the general public prefer dumb-cash grab movies like Angry Birds which smashed The Nice Guys box office wise (Haven't seen Angry Birds yet, just going by the reviews).

The R rating has nothing to do with anything. As you said, Deadpool made massive profits and is a decent movie, regardless of rating.

The problem, is the cast and the theme.
Nobody likes Russell Crowe any more... and Ryan Gosling is Box Office poison.
He's kinda like Taylor Kitsch and Colin Farrell. Nobody will actually go out of their way to watch them, no matter what the film, subject, theme or genre.

The R rating has nothing to do with anything. As you said, Deadpool made massive profits and is a decent movie, regardless of rating.

He's kinda like Taylor Kitsch and Colin Farrell. Nobody will actually go out of their way to watch them, no matter what the film, subject, theme or genre.
True. But isn't it a bit sad that movies like this don't make a lot of money but something like Transformers 5 does? It is because of this trend that we are getting a ****ing trilogy of Tetris movies...

Crap movies have always had the tendency of getting better returns compared to decent films.
Genuinely good movies don't have to rely on big name actors or big name directors... if they're good, they're good. The problem is, is that they don't often have solid names and don't get the draw they deserve.

Cack films tend to get as big a name as they can on the cast sheet, simply to sell tickets.
Look at all the Twilight movies or Hunger Games movies... it's all big names, no acting talent and the writing and directing is substandard, but the cast sheets are all "in" actors, which sells tickets.

You mentioned Transformers... Michael Bay is an action director, loved by 12 year old boys. And there's a lot of them around when it comes to movies.

Then you've got Shia Le, leab... Leboof or whatever his name is, who at the time was huge... and Megan Fox, who also was an "in" actress amongst 12 year old boys.
Neither can act worth a damn, but they were the "in" cast at that time.

When the populous fell out of favour with them, Transformers recast with Marky Mark, who, *drum roll*, is an "in" actor right now.

So is what you are saying is that big name actors and/or crew draw in the big bucks? Then again, you can look at Force Awakens and it has no big name actors that are "in" now. I guess it shows there is no real sure way to predict the box office.

I guess to me it is just annoying. In a perfect world for me it would be, the better the movie the more money it gets. The Nice Guys and movies like it (movies that are not based on an I.P and are fresh) really deserve the big bucks.

Welcome to the human race...
Bringing up Deadpool is a good point because I do wonder how much of its box-office gross can be credited to kids dragging their parents (or vice versa) to see it simply because it's a superhero movie - even if the film itself is nowhere near as family-friendly as your average superhero movie, that's still a lot of dollars that are accidentally going towards its overall gross. The Nice Guys, on the other hand, is a retro detective movie and is therefore not liable to attract as much interest from a general audience despite having some fairly notable leads in Crowe and Gosling.

That being said, I am rather annoyed that it's not doing anywhere near as much business as Deadpool did, but that's more to do with how I didn't think that Deadpool is an especially good film in its own right (and, despite the R-rating, I would not say that it has a whole lot in common with The Nice Guys beyond that).

Star Wars will always be big, no matter who they cast.

What I'm saying is if a movie is genuine sh*t, then the studios will tend to put in an "in" actor, maybe an "in" director too, regardless of talent, just to get the tickets sold.

I mean, look at Godzilla from 2015.
Total garbage, but they put Bryan Cranston in it for 30 minutes, and it sold tickets. Imagine that film, and the marketing, if Cranston wasn't attached.
It would have bombed.

Two things. 1. I actually really liked Godzilla (2015), it has a lot of flaws but I overall enjoyed it a lot. 2. I think that what The Nice Guys and Deadpool have in common is the rating, the edginess, the scale and the tone (violent, fun, funny).

Ok ok, let's use Pearl Harbor then.

Another total garbage movie, but at the time Affleck, Beckinsale and Hartnett were the in actors, and none of them can act worth a damn... and Bay/Bruckheimer were the crew to hire for an action movie at that time.

The movie grossed 450m on a budget of 140m... yet it was complete rubbish. It sold tickets simply on the backs of Bay, Affleck, Beckinsale and Hartnett.

Welcome to the human race...
2. I think that what The Nice Guys and Deadpool have in common is the rating, the edginess, the scale and the tone (violent, fun, funny).
True. I was mainly thinking about how their approaches are so radically different that I barely think of them being similar despite the common factors - for instance, I don't think that The Nice Guys tries to be anywhere near as edgy as Deadpool.

I heard Russell Crowe lost 50 lbs for this role, and he said he was gonna lose more. I hope he does cause hes a strong actor imo. Its been a long time since hes pushed himself as one.

Crowe's problem is he's become too big for himself... but he's not that big anymore.

It's all ego. He thinks he's perfect but he's not, and it's put the audience off.

He was on a radio show promoting some music album he'd made, and was asked about his accent in Robin Hood, and was told that he sounded like a cross between Irish and Scottish, with a little West Country accent (nowhere near Yorkshire) thrown in.
He hit the roof and started swearing, and demanded the radio presenter apologise because apparently, according to Crowe, his accent was "a perfect Yorkshire accent".
Lol! It wasn't, but Crowe said it was perfect.

Crowe is an ego-douche, and the audience knows it.

Why do people dislike Crowe all of the sudden?

Why do people dislike Crowe all of the sudden?
Probably because he's been in several sh!tty movies recently. His history of anger management issues haven't helped either.

I still love him and go out of my way to see him, though.