My Favorite Al Pacino Performances

Tools    

Like Robert De Niro, an explosive and unpredictable actor who keeps his co-stars on their toes. This is an actor who I think should have about 5 or 6 Oscars on his mantle instead of one. The following are my favorite performances of the awesome Al Pacino:

Michael Corleone in The Godfather III

This film had its share of problems but Pacino's performance wasn't one of them.

Arthur Kirkland, ...And Justice for All

Pacino's Oscar-nominated performance as a lawyer who has a passion for the underdog who ends up defending a judge (John Forsythe) accused of rape. This is one of those examples of a film where if anyone other than Pacino had played Kirkland, the film would have been a crashing bore.

John Milton, The Devil's Advocate

Pacino shines as the head of a mysterious Manhattan law firm with more than a few skeletons in his closet...the primary reason I love this performance is because Pacino appears to be having so much fun with this role and I always get more joy out of a performance where the actor appears to really be having fun.

Roy Cohn in Angels in America

Pacino won an Emmy for his powerhouse performance as the homophobic attorney who is devastated when he contracts AIDS. Pacino's performance in this historic HBO TV movie is in your face and unapologetic.

Detective Frank Keller, Sea of Love

Pacino not only offered a strong characterization as cop trying to solve a series of murders but also creates seriously steamy chemistry with his leading lady (Ellen Barkin).

Lt Colonel Frank Slade, Scent of a Woman

Pacino inexplicably won his only Oscar for this overrated performance as a blind former army officer who befriends a prep school student (Chris O'Donnell)...it wasn't a bad performance, but Pacino's given conservatively half a dozen performances that were more Oscar-worthy.

Johnny in Frankie and Johnny (1991)

One of Pacino's most underrated performances was a recently released-from-jail cook who gets a job at a diner and falls for one of the waitresses (Michelle Pfeiffer)...Pacino has rarely been sexier onscreen.

Ricky Roma in Glengarry Glen Ross

Pacino received an Oscar nomination for his performance as the cocky real estate salesman who leads sales in his second rate office due to some less than kosher methods.

Godfather Part II is my second favourite Pacino performance. Watched Frankie and Johnny a few months back, he was pretty good but i'd have that last out of the ones i've seen so far.

Big Boy Caprice, Dick Tracy (1990)

With a grand assist from Oscar-winning costumes and makeup, Pacino created an outrageous comic book villain, stealing this 1990 film from an all-star cast and earning him a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

Frank Serpico, Serpico

Pacino was rock solid in another Oscar-nominated performance based on a real life cop trying to swim above police corruption.