Film Series' That Died in 2016

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I consider myself a box office enthusiast, and in-response, I decided to take it upon myself to delve into a little research and create a list of films that I believe will officially see their end in 2016.

Keep in mind that numerous variables are factored into considering whether or not a film is a box-office success.

For instance, look at the first film on the list, Zoolander 2. Zoolander 2 made 56 million at the box-office from a budget of about 50 million. The first thought you might have is that the film received more than its budget. However, you have to consider that the marketing budget likely went North of around 20 million. The film now costs a lofty 70 million. This is an estimate, though, for a film that costs 35 - 75 million, it is often that the marketing budget costs at least half of what the film cost to make, I actually cut the film some slack. Not only this, but theaters receive a significant chunk of the profits. Oftentimes, it's about how much "muscle" a film has. Theater chains take precautions to protect themselves from bombs, and thereby, if a film is a disappoint, theaters can take somewhere around 55% of the profit. Theaters don't always take such a hefty sum and it depends. On opening weekend, the distributor can receive as much as 90% of the funds, but by the fourth weekend, they're reduced to more like half. Considering that Zoolander 2 was indeed a flop, you can safely assume that theaters protected themselves and, at the very least, half the profits went to them. (I'm not even factoring in that distributors receive less when a film's released overseas.) And, thus, Zoolander 2 cost 75 million and made somewhere around 30 million.

This isn't the only thing to consider in a film's profits though, either, because films receive a much stronger cut of the profits when their film is released on DVD and Blu-Ray. Not only that, but oftentimes, a film-series has synergy, that is, where the sum of its parts is promoted through the addition. When Zoolander 2 was released, it also promoted the first film's DVD and Blu-Ray sales in a substantial way.

Alas, according to The Numbers, Zoolander 2 only made about 3 million on DVD and Blu-Ray so far, and thus, it's not even close to enough to move the needle in the film's favor.

A circumstance where the DVD and Blu-Ray sales were very substantial would be with Batman v. Superman. The sales fortheir home-video release churned almost 70 million dollars in profit, in addition to the near 900 million in made in theaters.

2016 film series' that won't receive sequels:

- Zoolander 2 (56 million, budget 50 million)
- The Divergent Series: Allegiant (179 million, budget 110 million)
- The Huntsman: Winter's War (164.6 million, budget 115 million)
- Alice Through the Looking Glass (299 million, budget 170 million)
- Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (107.9 million, budget 35 million)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (245.6 million, budget 135 million)
- Independence Day: Resurgence (389 million, budget 165 million)
- Ghostbusters (229 million, budget 144 million)
- Star Trek: Beyond (343 million, budget 185 million)
- Inferno (219 million, budget 75 million)
- Bad Santa 2 (22.8 million, budget 26 million)
- Blair Witch (45.2 million, budget 5 million)***

Notes:
- Unless severe budget cuts are made, (literally, cut in half) Divergent will not be returning to theaters. Rumors say that a TV movie will be made instead.
- Alice Through the Looking Glass was a definite disappointment, making less than one-third of what the first film did. And, not only that, but there's even less to adapt for a third.
- Neighbors 2 made less than half what the first film made and had twice the budget. It was a modest success, but not enough of a success for a sequel.
- TMNT 2 had a big marketing campaign to go along with its budget, but, unfortunately, the film made half of what the first film did. No chance on a sequel.
- Indendence Day 2 wasn't a complete and total failure, but, when considering the marketing that went into it, the film just didn't make the kind-of numbers to make a third film a possibility.)
- 144 million for production and a large amount on marketing, Ghostbusters was a huge disappointment.
- Heartbreaking as a big fan of the newer Star Trek films, with the same budget as Star Trek: Into Darkness, this film made 124 million less than its predecessor. The company initially had plans for a fourth film, but their intentions were said before the numbers came piling in. This iteration of the series will end as a trilogy, unless a miracle happens.)
- Inferno isn't a huge failure. The budget was smart. Angels & Demons posted a near-300 million decline from what Da Vinci Code made. In-response, the budget for Inferno was cut in half, in-comparison to the 150 million budget that Angels & Demons had. Thereby, Inferno isn't really a failure, but an intelligent swan song. The second film made nearly 300 million less than the first, the third film has made over 200 million less than the second. This is the last film they'll do.
- I can't confidently say whether or not there will be another Blair Witch film. In-terms of box-office success, Blair Witch actually churned a profit. The film grossed more than nine times its production budget and the marketing budget likely wasn't that much either. Still, Lionsgate was expecting a lot more profit. The first Blair Witch Project made over 200 million dollars with a way smaller budget. This situation reminds me of Sinister 2, a film that made 50 million dollars off a 10 million dollar budget. Even though the film was successful, Jason Blum said there was no chance of a third film. Simply put, it's a waste of resources and an unneeded undertaking to put money into a fourth Blair Witch film when it could be invested into “the next big thing”. I bet we'll get a Blair Witch remake, but this is a decade or so down the road.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
According to several sources, there will be a sequel to Star Trek Beyond, and as of about a month ago, the script is already in the works.

http://movieweb.com/star-trek-4-scri...to-simon-pegg/

Simon Pegg Teases Star Trek 4 Script Has Begun

Paramount Pictures is having a rough couple of years. A lot of their big movies have bombed recently, like Ben-Hur and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, but perhaps the most surprising was the very well-liked Star Trek Beyond. The movie came out over the summer and is now the lowest grossing of the new Star Trek series, but the Justin Lin directed entry was also the most expensive to make. Before the movie was even released Paramount made it clear they had plans for Star Trek 4. Well, it looks like less than stellar box office performance isn't going to keep the franchise from boldly going on, because Simon Pegg has teased that work has already begun on the fourth installment.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
According to several sources, there will be a sequel to Star Trek Beyond, and as of about a month ago, the script is already in the works.
This iteration of the series will end as a trilogy, unless a miracle happens. Finger's crossed.
I've only found one reputable source, and that's the link you've provided. The other snippets I've found have all been from before the film's box-office numbers came crashing in. A lot can still happen, but I think it still seems weighted to its disadvantage, or at the very least, one would assume the film will have a much smaller budget.

Star Trek Beyond made 343 million off a 185 million dollar budget. I think we can assume the marketing cost it around <50 million. In other words, the film didn't even break even. Even with the synergy it likes caused for DVD and Blu-Ray releases of previous entries, it would have still lost Paramount money.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's difficult to see them doing a fourth film.

Star Trek Beyond made 343 million off a 185 million dollar budget. I think we can assume the marketing cost it around <50 million. In other words, the film didn't even break even. Even with the synergy it likes caused for DVD and Blu-Ray releases of previous entries, it would have still lost Paramount money.

Uh, wait a minute. They made 343 and spent 235......how is that breaking even?

Youll find when people go to the theaters less that studios will be more likely to invest their moneys where audiences are already built in i..e. there will be more sequels. Aside from that Star Trek has MUCH more of a fanbase built in than most successful movies will inspire.

I cant argue with the other films you listed though. I heard theyre awful.

I'm still pretty upset about Out of the Shadows pulling in mediocre ticket sales, I want a third one. I mean, it makes sense, the first one wasn't good, and really this one isn't either, but man, I had so much fun with it, I thought it was such an improvement. I hope they take a crack at Ghostbusters again, as a whole. I wouldn't even mind the same cast as the new one, they did alright. But, that's not going to happen. Have not watched the new Star Trek, but I really like the first one, and the second one was good too, so I was upset by that. Neighbors 2 doesn't need another sequel, that's perfectly fine.

Everything else good riddance, I don't want anymore.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Let's not forget, Anton Yelchin passed away last year so if there is a fourth film, they will either have to find another actor to play Chekov or somehow write him off.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Let's not forget, Anton Yelchin passed away last year so if there is a fourth film, they will either have to find another actor to play Chekov or somehow write him off.

J.J. Abrams has already said that he won't recast Anton Yelchin's role in the Star Trek movies.

http://time.com/4414409/star-trek-wi...racter-chekov/

J.J. Abrams Won't Recast Anton Yelchin's Character Chekov in Reboot Star Trek Series

Amanda Calvo
Jul 20, 2016

Star Trek director and producer J.J. Abrams confirmed Monday that he will not recast the role of Chekov that was played by the late Anton Yelchin in the revamped franchise series.

The 27-year-old actor played the Russian character in all three Star Trek reboots including the latest film Beyond, which opens in U.S. theaters Friday, according to TheWrap.

Yelchin died last month when he was crushed by his SUV after the car reportedly rolled back on the driveway of his home in Los Angeles. The model of car — a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee — was recalled by Fiat Chrysler just two months before for a dangerous parking gear defect.

Abrams, who directed the first two Star Trek films and is still a producer on the series said: “There’s no re-casting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better."

A fourth Star Trek film was given the green light on Monday, although Abrams said he has yet to figure out how to explain the absence of the Russian-accented Chekov.

- Unless severe budget cuts are made, (literally, cut in half) Divergent will not be returning to theaters. Rumors say that a TV movie will be made instead.
Wouldnt that be a relief? I think we are all just waiting for this series to die, and wondering why it keeps coming back worse each year.

I'm sure we'll see more Star Trek movies. Beyond wasn't the first Trek movie to underperform and that didn't put an end to the series.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'm sure we'll see more Star Trek movies. Beyond wasn't the first Trek movie to underperform and that didn't put an end to the series.
Most certainly! Just not in this carnation. I'm sad about that. Some have argued that Paramount is in such dire need for a successful franchise that they made take another whirl, but that has far from been confirmed.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Star Trek is not going to die as a franchise if one movie didn't break even. Aren't they making new TV shows?

Edit: yes they are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery
FILM SERIES! and even still, that's not what I meant. They aren't going to stop making Ninja Turtle films either, but we won't see a sequel to Out of the Shadows. Like that, This series of Star Trek films, however, is finished.

Uh, wait a minute. They made 343 and spent 235......how is that breaking even?
Because I look at all the variables involved. A film making 343 million off a 235 million dollar budget does not receive 108 million. They have to share it.

It is impossible to fully estimate how much a theater receives, in the opening weekend, film franchises with more clout are able to claim up to 90% of the profits from them, however, by the fourth week, for instance, theaters are often taking half the profits. That, and the fact that didn't foreign areas have different ways of splitting up the profits. The fact is, unless the studio offers up the information, it is impossible to do contribute anything more than an educated guess.

343 subtracted by 35% (which would be generous) would subtract 120 million from the profits, bringing it down to 223 million, if you add in the amount made from DVD sales and Blu-Ray sales, the film wasn't profitable.

Synergy is important with franchises, in that, when a new film is released, DVD and Blu-Ray sales of the previous entries increase, but, again, that isn't profitable enough to warrant a big-budget followup to Beyond.

Just say he died in a space ship crash.
You don't even have to be that grim....Chekov got transferred to another ship. Easy. After all, in Star Trek 2 (KHAAAAN), which member of the Enterprise crew had been transferred to another ship? Chekov. It actually dovetails into continuity and with Khan on ice int his timeline, there's no problem with earworms.

You don't even have to be that grim....Chekov got transferred to another ship. Easy. After all, in Star Trek 2 (KHAAAAN), which member of the Enterprise crew had been transferred to another ship? Chekov. It actually dovetails into continuity and with Khan on ice int his timeline, there's no problem with earworms.
I would prefer the transfer also.

Star Trek is not going to die as a franchise if one movie didn't break even. Aren't they making new TV shows?
Yeh friend maybe its true Star Trek never end making new TV Shows. He gave so many series now I can't remember how many parts of movies and series they released.