Top 3 films of PTA

Tools    

For me:

Easy number one choice for me. The best film of the 21st Century, and among the best ever. Hard to envision PTA ever topping this masterpiece.

If not for LA Confidential, I would say this deserved Best Picture. The fact that it wasn't even nominated, yet that farce Good Will Hunting was is beyond me. Another masterpiece film from PTA.

There was a time when I would have picked Magnolia over The Master, but upon further viewings, The Master is getting better w/time whereas Magnolia wasn't quite as good as I remembered (but still excellent).

My fave of the 3 is Boogie Nights. Didn’t see it for the first time until 2-3 years ago & I loved it.

01. The Master
02. There Will Be Blood
03. Punch Drunk Love

The Master and TWBB are both #1 basically. Boogie Nights is close and i'd like to see what i think of Phantom Thread on a rewatch. Have to see Inherent Vice again too, i haven't watched it since it came out and i'm particularly interested what i'll think after reading some Pynchon. I've actually watched all of his films other than Inherent Vice within the last year.

Inherent Vice is the only PTA movie I felt disappointed by after viewing. Everything else PTA did felt like it had a focused vision and whether or not it worked varied, but Inherent Vice just felt like a mess to me.

Also...

1. Boogie Nights
2. Boogie Nights
3. Boogie Nights

Inherent Vice doesn't even have a dance number in the middle like Boogie Nights does. How can one even defend it?

Boogie Nights and Magnolia are PTA's best 2 movies.

Punch Drunk Love was really good, too. Adam Sandler needs to make more serious films. He can act when working with the right people and material.

I found The Master and There Will Be Blood to be extremely boring.

And I couldn't get myself to finish Inherent Vice, a movie I really wanted to like.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Inherent Vice doesn't even have a dance number in the middle like Boogie Nights does? How can one even defend it?
Because dance numbers are the definition of quality.... ?

Also Boogie Nights has Marky Mark and Inherent Vice has Joaquin Phoenix, which automatically makes the latter superior.

Because dance numbers are the definition of quality.... ?

Also Boogie Nights has Marky Mark and Inherent Vice has Joaquin Phoenix, which automatically makes the latter superior.
At least we got to see Marky Mark's penis at the end. All Joaquin Phoenix did at the end of Inherent Vice was be sad in a car.

Also, yes, I measure movie quality by dance number percentage.

Boogie Nights and Magnolia are PTA's best 2 movies.

Punch Drunk Love was really good, too. Adam Sandler needs to make more serious films. He can act when working with the right people and material.

I found The Master and There Will Be Blood to be extremely boring.

And I couldn't get myself to finish Inherent Vice, a movie I really wanted to like.
I won't defend The Master but you should give There Will Be Blood another try. It's a slow burn but there's a lot of cool stuff going on if you really look into it.

At least we got to see Marky Mark's penis at the end.
We got to see a very obvious prosthetic. I have vibrators that are more impressive than that.

That's unacceptable.

Also Boogie Nights is better than The Master.
I ranked Boogie Nights at #2, but The Master has a good case over it.

The Master is a TERRIFIC movie! Would be a lot of director's best films... it's just that in my mind, TWBB is masterpiece.