THE WHITE TIGER (2021)

→ in
Tools    

The White Tiger (2021)

The picture is an insight into India’s two caste system, and a story of one ambitious man who
ultimately forces through the barrier to become an entrepreneur. Based upon the novel of the same name by Arvind Adiga, and starring Adarsh Gourav in a breakthrough role, The White Tiger unflinchingly displays India’s servant/underclass and its stark poverty.

Told almost entirely in flash back, narrator and protagonist Balram Halwai composes a letter to the Chinese Premiere relating his life story comparing India’s underclass as roosters in a coop awaiting their fate, with no means or desire to better themselves. Balram has left his village to find employment by a wealthy Delhi family as a driver for the Americanized son and his wife. We see Balram’s seemingly unquestioning service to the family as his master, along with the indignities he suffers, before he makes a shocking decision to break out of his caste and to take control of his own destiny. His infectious smile and personality later change to a laser focused determination to achieve success. A “white tiger” is a metaphor for a rare once-in-a-generation talent.

The picture quickly grabs one’s interest, and stays engaging for its entire 125 minute run time. Gourav’s acting is flawless, and is supported by a first rate cast headed by Rajkummar Rao and Priyanka Chopra. Gourav has been nominated for Best Male lead in the Film Independent Spirit Award, and was placed on the BAFTA long list for Best Actor.

The filming takes place entirely in India, chiefly in Delhi. The dialogue is mostly in English, with occasional subtitled Hindi. The story and cinematography are so well done that it occasionally feels like a documentary. DP Paolo Carnera perfectly captures the sight and feel of contemporary India. The score by Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans effectively ranges from traditional Hindi music to contemporary hip-hop-- which provides a contrast of the upper class on one hand, to the starkness of the villagers on the other.

I have not read the novel, however after reading it’s synopsis the film appears to follow it pretty closely. In fact the screenplay is nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay at the 93rd Academy Awards. It’s hard to imagine that an adapted screenplay could be better done than The White Tiger.

Doc’s rating: 9/10

I believe we have a couple of guys on the forum who live in India. I'm wondering what @ashdoc and others think about the country's portrayal in The White Tiger? The films seemed pretty positive to me, but I'd like to get the impressions of some who live there.

Haven't seen the film , but the film probably has the same old left wing
inspired influence of painting mainstream hindus as villains who tyrannize lower classes . The whole film industry from hollywood to bollywood hates hinduism and will always paint it as an evil oppressive system . Won't bother to watch it either because unlike white people in usa and christians in europe , both of whom don't mind becoming a minority in their land and letting others trample over their rights , we hindus intend to survive and remain masters of our land and preserve our culture . Any film portraying hinduism negatively is definitely not on my list of movies to watch .

Haven't seen the film , but the film probably has the same old left wing
inspired influence of painting mainstream hindus as villains who tyrannize lower classes . The whole film industry from hollywood to bollywood hates hinduism and will always paint it as an evil oppressive system . Won't bother to watch it either because unlike white people in usa and christians in europe , both of whom don't mind becoming a minority in their land and letting others trample over their rights , we hindus intend to survive and remain masters of our land and preserve our culture . Any film portraying hinduism negatively is definitely not on my list of movies to watch .
'Preciate the response. You're probably right, although I got no negative takeaway impression of the Hindus from this movie. The protagonist lower class guy worked hard and became an entrepreneur, although his method was not recommendable. And I believe in preserving a country's culture.

I won't comment on some of the other points because we're admonished to avoid politics here on the forum. I don't know much about Christians in Europe, but I can safely say that white people in the U.S. would not relish becoming a minority.

Could you recommend some good films that do not disrespect Hindus?

Thanks,
Doc

'Preciate the response. You're probably right, although I got no negative takeaway impression of the Hindus from this movie. The protagonist lower class guy worked hard and became an entrepreneur, although his method was not recommendable. And I believe in preserving a country's culture.

I won't comment on some of the other points because we're admonished to avoid politics here on the forum. I don't know much about Christians in Europe, but I can safely say that white people in the U.S. would not relish becoming a minority.

Could you recommend some good films that do not disrespect Hindus?

Thanks,
Doc

Bahubali part one and two respect hinduism . They should be seen one after another at the same time as part one is only half the story and part two really completes the movie . Part one is on a grand scale with cinematography comparable to Hollywood movies .

Bahubali part one and two respect hinduism . They should be seen one after another at the same time as part one is only half the story and part two really completes the movie . Part one is on a grand scale with cinematography comparable to Hollywood movies .
Looks like quite an epic. I'll see if I can find it with English subtitles.

Are there any that you like that are set in contemporary times?