Movie Tab

Tools    

Dunno how you can watch so many movies in a day, OG. If I rent a video, it would take me perhaps 6 hours to view it all -- I get interrupted a lot by all sorts of things. Did manage to pop in a video a friend sent me: an HBO cancer drama starring Emma THompson called WIT. Ms. Thompson plays a stricken literature professor. It was very moving towards the end, although I did wonder if english lit professors talk this much even when they know they're dying.

We should start a thread here sometime called, What Would You Like Your Dying Words to Be?

PS. Did you like BAGGER VANCE, Commish? I did not. And it certainly didn't help my golf game.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I was at a friends house with a bunch of other people, doing stuff on computers, and my friend had a 72 inch plasma screen tv, and a satalite and a huge DVD collection, so I was always watching a movie in the background while playing games or something.

Yesterday I watched Wag the Dog

Today I watched Dumb and Dumber

Office Space is great - I love his neighbor. "Don't worry bud, I won't tell anyone!" Funny guy. I watched some various parts of "The Matrix" today, but that's about it.

I can pretend that things last.
Interesting flicks you guys watched.I gotta watch CTHD sometime soon.

I rented 3 DVD's namely Cry in the Dark,A Few Good Men,and 10 things I hate about you.

I finished 10 things and it was pretty good and funny.

I have yet to watch the other two.

Cheers

THE SILVER CHALICE with Paul Newman in his first major role, I believe. Awful movie (Newman is as wooden as Noah's Ark), but it is somewhat religious, and I try to watch religious movies on Holy Week. Tomorrow, I am going to watch my home videos of Filipinos being crucified (REALLY! the nails go right through their palms!) on Good Friday. Filipinos do this every year, and tourists from all over the world (including me) visit the Philippines just to watch this amazing spectacle.

They agree to be crucified as a penance for some great sin they committed. Many of the "crucified" are ex-convicts. Some might also have promised to do this because God granted them a special favor, like curing their sick parents. I believe even women have agreed to be crucified recently. This is all of their own free will, of course, as the ultimate expression of their piety.

As for the crucifixion itself, the nails are driven through the fleshy part of the hands, away from any major arteries. There is not much bleeding, I am told, if it is done properly. The feet are usually untouched. And they are only crucified for about half an hour. However, there are some Filipinos who go through the whole Passion: the Scourging at the Pillar, the Crown of Thorns (ouch!), the Long Walk to Calvary, etc. They get MAJOR TV COVERAGE, even in Europe.

The Philippines also has hordes of flagellants wandering the village streets at this time of year. These penitents remove their shirts and beat their backs with knotted ropes which leave painful welts. Before long, their backs are truly bloody. After that, they roll on the ground (to get their wounds dirty) and then they jump into the sea (the salt water makes their backs agonizingly painful.) But if I am truly lucky, some of these flagellants will lie in front of the church door and we (the church-goers) will not be able to enter the building, unless we actually walk on those bloodied backs. (Priest recommends that one removes one's shoes first.)

Do not take this comment the wrong way, but I find that to be a bit stupid. I am a Christian, but do not believe such incredible pain and self-mutilation are necessary. They'd do a lot better to donate to charity, help a poor family, or something else of the sort.

I admire their dedication, but it sounds awfully extreme.

These people are VERY POOR, Commish, and they find that this is the only adequate way they can express their piety. "Stupid" is the wrong word. I am a Catholic too, you know, and while I wish they would discontinue this practice, I understand why they do it. You must have heard the preaching, "Suffering is necessary for Salvation?" And the Philippines is the only Christian country in Asia.
[Edited by Pigsnie on 04-10-2001]

I definintely understand it, but I do believe it hints of foolishness. I am not saying they ARE fools, though, as we all do foolish things.

I cannot say for certain whether such things please God, but I would be mildly surprised if I learned that God was truly pleased by it, in the sense that he is GLAD they did it. While it is obviously an impressive display of dedication to God, I doubt that it is an optimal way of repentence.

My apologies if my original words were too harsh.

MovieForums Extra
Office Space was a great movie! Brings back a smile just thinking about it!

It is GOOD FRIDAY. Friday the 13th. The day I do laundry. The one Friday night of the year whence I stay home and watch McDonald cheeseburger commercials with longing. (Lent still, you know. No meat allowed, unless Pierce Brosnan breaks into your home and stuffs some veal down your throat.) Eh, what the heck, will go watch BRIDGET JONES with my lady friend.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by Zephyrus
Office Space was a great movie! Brings back a smile just thinking about it!
Yep! Got it in DivX the other day.