The most pathetic film character.

Tools    

I don't need a bigger boat.
What single film character do you think is the most pathetic as a person?
What pitiful character shows the least redeeming qualities as a human being. Some loser who sets the bar to a whole new level. Someone completely worthless.

My vote goes to Thomas Haden Church in "Sideways".

I think DeNiro's portrayal of Jake LaMotta in Scorsese's Raging Bull is easily the most unsympathetic protagonist in any mainstream American film. His petty jealousies and insecurities manifesting as rage and cruelty make him contemptible on just about every single level. I think the movie is a masterpiece. Watching his self-destructive spiral interpreted by artists with the courage to examine such a scumbag with all of their skills is awe inspiring cinema, and they never let him off the hook by soliciting any cheap empathy for him. Their Jake LaMotta is surely a pathetic example of a human being.

Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What pitiful character shows the least redeeming qualities as a human being. Some loser who sets the bar to a whole new level. Someone completely worthless.

Interesting thread, mate. But Thomas Haden Church's character in Sideways? It's been a long time since I have seen the film but don't remember him being THAT pathetic. A bit immature, but not pathetic.

I myself can't think of anybody right now but I will do soon.

I am half agony, half hope.
I hesitate to call anyone completely worthless because someone, at some time, must have seen their value. That said, Paul Newman as Hud Bannon seems to fit. He was an a-hole. Charming, yes, but still morally empty.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes. The thing I'm unsure about is your definition of the word "pathetic". To me, a person who's pathetic arouses pity. In that case, I'd go with Ratso Rizzo. But I certainly agree with the idea that if pathetic is somehow supposed to mean "unsympathetic", then you can certainly go along with Jake LaMotta and Hud.

I guess if I were going to pick a character which seems to straddle the line between pathetic and unsympathetic, I'd go for somebody like Peter Boyle's Joe Curran in Joe. Joe is a foul-mouthed racist who basically hates everything, yet there is somehow a kernel of humanity within him, especially when he says crazy things which are flat-out hilarious, that almost make you feel like you could maybe turn him to the light if you just had enough drinks with him. However, based on what actually occurs in the movie, Joe ultimately becomes a disease who infects the world around him, even though that world is plenty screwed up without his assistance.

Buck Thurman - played by Dale Midkiff the husband in A Cry for Help: The Tracy Thurman Story.

Yes it was a made for TV film based on a true story, that makes it all the more horrific, and this guy is one of the biggest losers ever. I am including a clip from the film (warning, it is a bit graphic and spoilery).

This film made me sick and angry all at the same time when I saw it. I have only seen it once, but when you asked for pathetic, this is what came to mind.

edit: The police were pretty pathetic also.

Hands down one of the most pathetic characters in film history. Good pick Yoda!

The King of Movies
Percy Whetmoore from the Green Mile is the most insufferable little weasel i can think of.
i hated Percy alot, im so happy he
WARNING: "green mile" spoilers below
ended up in the mental institution

Put me in your pocket...

I don't know about THE most pathetic, but I agree Thomas Haden Church's character in Sideways was pretty pathetic. I also thought Paul Giamatti's character had some spineless pathetic moments.

Sorry about that Dave.~

Another character I've always thought of in the pathetic light was Chuck Connors as Buck Hannassey in The Big Country. Conners was so good at making Buck seem sooo slimy. Although, part of me felt a little sorry for Buck...for having such a harsh father in Rufus, but not sorry enough for me to excuse his pathetic attempts to seduce (force himself) on Julie, his lying or cowardly display in the duel and afterward. By the end I felt sorry for Rufus for seeing Buck crumble into a pathetic mess....and for Buck to be seen that way by the father he could never please.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul

i don't know why this popped in my head, but i saw billy bob thorton in ''Sling Blade''. granted his character was not the brightest crayon in the box. yet he made him lovable even at the end of the movie. sitting there eating his chicken, the camera pans out as the viewer still is in shock!

Is "pathetic" really the word you're looking for here? As in "1: having the capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptous pity 2: marked by sorrow and melancholy."

Did you really feel pity for Ike Clanton, Jake La Motta, or Ratso? Contempt, certainly, but pity?

My idea of pathetic is the blind, earless, mute, quadra-amputee of Johnny Got His Gun. Or the "deaf, dumb, and blind kid" playing pin-ball in that rock film. Or what was that dumb film about this guy who kidnaps a young woman and then amputates her arms and legs (she being the pathetic one). Or that gal in that weird film Tattoo where Bruce Dern is this tattoo artist who kidnaps her and covers her body with tattoos.

I hesitate to call anyone completely worthless because someone, at some time, must have seen their value. That said, Paul Newman as Hud Bannon seems to fit. He was an a-hole. Charming, yes, but still morally empty.

Hud is totally dispicable but not at all pathetic. It's impossible to pity him even when he cuts himself off from all family and friends. There's a moment in the final scene when you think he almost gets it, but then he grins and gives that little dismissive wave and drinks his beer, totally unrepented and unredeemable. Best role Newman ever played.

I don't need a bigger boat.
Or what was that dumb film about this guy who kidnaps a young woman and then amputates her arms and legs (she being the pathetic one).
Boxing Helena.

I am half agony, half hope.
Is "pathetic" really the word you're looking for here? As in "1: having the capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptous pity 2: marked by sorrow and melancholy."

Did you really feel pity for Ike Clanton, Jake La Motta, or Ratso? Contempt, certainly, but pity?

My idea of pathetic is the blind, earless, mute, quadra-amputee of Johnny Got His Gun. Or the "deaf, dumb, and blind kid" playing pin-ball in that rock film. Or what was that dumb film about this guy who kidnaps a young woman and then amputates her arms and legs (she being the pathetic one). Or that gal in that weird film Tattoo where Bruce Dern is this tattoo artist who kidnaps her and covers her body with tattoos.
I think the thread starter was going with this definition:
miserably or contemptibly inadequate

As in not adequately human. At least that's what I took from it, but you obviously took another meaning. If I am going by your definition, then Jack Nicholson's character in About Schmidt qualifies, Yes?

What's the beef with the Trainspotting characters?
Lol, you and honeykid are in cohoots!