Movies set in your City

Tools    

What movies have been set in your City?

I'm from Sheffield in England and the most famous film will be 1997's 'The Full Monty'

Others

When Saturday Comes (rubbish)
Threads (scary as Hell!!)
Kes (My 2nd favourite film, actually filmed in Barnsley)
Dead Mans Shoes (Brilliant)
The Princess Bride (Not seen, but supposed to be good...Gets 8.2 on IMDb)

'The Full Monty' was over rated, but 'Threads' is good (although I had to see a councilor after watching this as a teenager!!) & 'Kes' is simply one of the best & funniest films ever made!!

Yeah Threads is bloody scary!

Set in Liverpool is that awful film 51st State (aka Formula 51 in the US)

Terence Davies has filmed mostly in his native Liverpool, films such as Distant Voices Still Lives. Then there's Liam, Backbeat (of course) , Gumshoe, a bit of Land and Freedom, bits in a lot of Alex Cox's films, and loads of tv stuff!

A system of cells interlinked
The Departed, Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River... see if you can guess the city
I'll take a shot, since I live there too...

Bahhhhston

I actually live in Marlborough, not Boston though....

In the Beginning...
Parts of Stripes were filmed in downtown Louisville, KY on the Clark Memorial Bridge (named after George Rogers Clark, the founder of Louisville). The rest of the film was shot around Fort Knox a little south of Louisville (although the city and county was merged last year, so everything within 50 miles of Louisville is technically the city of Louisville). Parts of Goldfinger were also set in and filmed near Fort Knox.

Elizabethtown is actually named for the township just north of Fort Knox, and a little south of Louisville. Parts of the film were also shot in downtown Louisville, particularly at the Brown Hotel.

Parts of The Insider were filmed in downtown Louisville. Most of Dead Moon Rising, an extremely low-budget zombie flick, was filmed in downtown Louisville. I only mention it here because I was in it (!) as an organ-eating zombie extra.

Death Tunnel is a low-budget horror film shot on the Waverly Hills Sanatorium grounds, a notorious site of severe paranormal activity.

In Demolition Man, there's a scene of a building imploding, which was actually a controlled demolition here in Louisville.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Hawk is Dying was filmed in Gainesville, FL where I live. Doc Hollywood was filmed in Micanopy, which is minutes away. Also the scene in Parenthood where Gil imagines that Kevin becomes a sniper was filmed on campus here. I think there might be a couple of others, but I can't think of them.

I live in Portland, Oregon. There have been lots of flicks shot here, and our best-known filmmaker is Gus Van Sant who often films in and around town, Drugstore Cowboy and My Own Private Idaho being the primary examples but also Paranoid Park, Elephant, Mala Noche and Last Days. Some of the other non-Van Sant projects filmed at least partially in Portland are Breaking In (1989), Five Easy Pieces (1970), Come See the Paradise (1990), Zero Effect (1998), Foxfire (1996), Imaginary Crimes (1994), Thumbsucker (2005), Body of Evidence (1993), Mr. Holland's Opus (1995), Pay it Forward (2000), Antitrust (2001), The Hunted (2003), Love at Large (1990) and the upcoming Cormac McCarthy adaptation The Road starring Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron, Garret Dillahunt and Guy Pearce was recently shooting outside of town as well as around the Mount St. Helens area of Washington up across the state border.

A few of the most famous movies shot in the state of Oregon, though not in Portland itself, are One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Salem, OR), Animal House (the University of Oregon in Eugene) and The Goonies (the distinctive shoreline of Cannon Beach, OR).

And though it was only part of the question, some folks answered what movies were shot near where they live in THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Somehow I didn't know that The Goonies was shot in Oregon, thanks for that.

Most of what was filmed at Cannon Beach were the last scenes of the movie, with the ship sailing away off the coast. THAT part is Oregon. Most of the pieces of the town were shot in Astoria, OR, including The Goon Docks. The other parts of town were in Bodega Bay, CA, which is the famous location for Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. And all of the underground stuff was obviously constructed on sound stages.

But yeah, the Oregon coast is where the Goonies live, Dude.

"Brubaker" and "Teachers" were shot here in Columbus, Ohio (zzzzz....).

I remember kicking myself for making an honest effort to get to work one winter by driving through 12 inches of snow. Only about 10 people came through my cash register line in four hours before a bearded, oddly familiar looking guy came through and made a purchase. I gave him his Buckeye stamps and he smiled and said "Thanks, but I won't be needing them." and gave them back. I would have sworn it was a bearded Judd Hirsch, who was in town working on "Teachers" at the time.

I turned to the girl bagging my groceries after he walked out and she was still standing there slack-jawed. "Was that...?" I asked, and she answered "Yeah, it was!" before I could finish the question.

I know he's not A-list, but it made me happy I drove in on a day that I easily could have called off. I consider that my lone "brush with goodness" (not quite "great", but hey...).

Hell, I'm from roeselare (anyone, no? ) but I'll just go with my country Belgium. I know you ask the city but Belgium is probably as big as an average Chinese city.

C'est arrivé près de chez vous (english title: man bites dog but i prefer the original title)

L'enfant and other movies from the brothers Dardenne

I guess these are the most famous ones, but they aren't THAT famous!

ow, forgot one, the movie In Bruges is shot...in bruges, that is in Belgium.

Welcome to the human race...
The only film I can think of that was shot in my hometown in recent memory is All My Friends Are Leaving Brisbane. Not sure of any others, the film business seems to be concentrated elsewhere in this country.

Brewster McCloud in 1970 was the first movie filmed inside the Astrodome in Houston, Tex. That implies other films were filmed there, but I'm damned if I know which ones. There's a scene in The Right Stuff where there's a party for the astronauts supposedly in the Astrodome, but it doesn't much look like the Astrodome to me so I suspect it was filmed on a set. However, parts of Apollo 13 were filmed at the Johnson Space Center a few miles from Houston.

Spielberg shot his first theatrical feature, The Sugarland Express, in Sugar Land, just outside of Houston, but couldn't spell the damn name right.

A lot of Urban Cowboy was shot in Houston and nearby Pasadena, Tex., the home of Gilley's. But a lot of the shots inside Gilley's were filmed on a Hollywood set with parts transported from the nightclub or recreated in California. Sherwood Cryer, the owner of Gilley's was pretty pissed about how the film crew treated his place, but he made a bundle of money from the film and the resulting publicity. Kinda spoiled the joint when all the touristas started coming by looking for urban cowboys.

Parts of Terms of Endearment and one of the Robocop films are supposed to have been filmed here. Some of Terms does resemble the Heights area.

Although most of the story is set in Scotland, some of Local Hero was shot in downtown Houston. Burt Lancaster's oil executive's office was shot in a real oil executive's office in the old Pennzoil Bldg.

A part of Paris, Texas was shot on location in a parking building in downtown Houston. Some of Rushmore was filmed here.

I used to live in San Antonio and you can see a lot of that city in Viva, Max!, shot on location in and around the Alamo smack in downtown San Antone. (That downtown area has changed alot in the 30 something years since that film was made) And you can see San Antonio's beautiful downtown River Walk at night in Dabney Coleman's Cloak and Dagger.

Well....Here are some movies set in Boston:

Southie

Monument Avenue

The Departed

Goodfellas

Good Will Hunting (Boston & Cambridge)

Next Stop: Wonderland