W.

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
You may not agree with George W. Bush, but I am interested

Plot: George W. Bush's life and presidency

Cast: Josh Brolin

Director: Oliver Stone

Writer: Stanley Weiser

now, Elizabeth Banks is in talks to play Laura Bush

no pictures yet; it begins filming in late April

I'll say this much for it: it has my interest.

Stone has hinted that he's not going to use this as another forum for his personal views. Whether or not that's true is anyone's guess. I'm sure we'll see some sympathetic portrayals, but I'll be a little surprised if they're anything more than small, emotionally-centered tokens about how hard it is to be in such a position, or the simple concession that he meant well.

Anyway, it'll be odd to see a film dealing with events which have taken place so recently, but I'll probably see it anyway.

Stuck in the middle with you.
A movie about Bush? Why Josh Brolin, I saw him in NCFOM and American gangster and he doesn't seem like the guy for that role.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
More Casting News

announced cast

Josh Brolin... George W. Bush
Elizabeth Banks... Laura Bush
Ellen Burstyn... Barbara Bush
James Cromwell... George Herbert Walker Bush

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think Stone made a pretty good job with Nixon (1995) and I'm sure he wasn't a fan of that guy. I think this film about Bush will be something similar. My guess is that he's going to focus on Bush, the person, as a character who's unaware of all the bad things he's causing and as surrounded by wolves posioning his mind.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Colour out of Time
Gosh ... you would think that he would wait until Bush has retired from office.

I'm not sure I'll bother with this film because I'm not a Yank and I don't see much substance to work with apart from 9/11, Iraq and Afganistan and perhaps the whole Florida vote thing. I've seen most of that from Mike Moore and in that film Bush played himself.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
this project strikes me as insane. It is too soon, imo, and I honestly don't think I could ever watch.

The fact that I hate Bush more than anyone ever doesn't help. I can't imagine the torture it would be to watch an entire film about him.

I think Stone has lost his touch.

Dachshunds Fear Me
Right now, I think I'd rather sit through the director's cut of ALEXANDER - twice - than see this. It just has disaster written all over it.

What's he thinking??

George: Arthur.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I agree with a couple of other posters - this is too soon to be making a biopic on our President. I mean, there hasn't even been a Martin Luther King Jr. biopic yet, and yet they're going to do this?

It's weird too that there's been a two TV shows on George Dubyah, a what-if documentary made about him and a fictionalized assassination, and now this biopic. Media whore much?

EDIT:
And Fahrenheit 9/11.

And the name W. Are you serious???

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know. People said it was too soon for United 93 and Ollie's World Trade Center, but they turned out pretty well. I'd like to see what he can do, especially if it's what he wants to make first. The cast looks good too. Josh Brolin is on a roll.

olver is a bad ass, i just dont see how he can make that mans life interesting for an hour or so...
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

Gosh ... you would think that he would wait until Bush has retired from office.

I'm not sure I'll bother with this film because I'm not a Yank and I don't see much substance to work with apart from 9/11, Iraq and Afganistan and perhaps the whole Florida vote thing. I've seen most of that from Mike Moore and in that film Bush played himself.
You're absolutely spot-on about this, FernTree. Who knows, though? Maybe by the time the filming of W. is finished, Bush'll be retired from office.

Yeah, it's just one picture, but still, not looking good. I'm actually one of the people who thought Brolin was going to be a good choice. I can definitely see him as Bush...but if this cover is any indication, they just haven't got the look right.

Elizabeth Banks looks fairly close to Laura Bush, however. But again, just one picture from one angle, so we'll see.