Top Five Independent Movies

Tools    

Tom
Sense I am new to this cite and I have looked at some of the "threads" out there, I thought I would ask moviegoers on what Independent Films you think or good. It could be old or new doens't matter. It seems that alot of the "threads" talk about Hollowood films and I thought it would be a breath fresh air to talk about Independent Films.

Hopefully, we can have some good converstations on this subject. By the way I will post my Top Five later on. I just want to see how the public responds for right now.

True no-money Indie Films. You can find all of these for download on the internet if you look long and hard enough; in no particular order:

1. Airplane Glue
2. Fansom the Lizard
3. Vert
4. The Misadventures of Hannibal and David
5. Do People Care?

Before I pick mine, I just want an independent film to be defined for me.

Is it a film that wasn't financed by one of the big 5 studios or just a film that didn't play in the multiplexes?

Now With Moveable Parts
yeah...someone better clear this up for us lesser types, otherwise we'll just get shot down. I know for a fact Bottle Rocket is an indie. Silver Bullet should be an expert in this field, so let's see what he has to say, okay bigval? I'm with you man, I sometimes feel like every frippin' thing I post is analyzed to the 10th power!

Well I actually picked films that were funded straight from the filmmaker's pockets, but I'm beginning to doubt many of you would even know of any films -- I'm lucky enough to know a whole network of no budget filmmakers and so I know almost everyone in the game. Well, at least the English speaking ones.

So, I've gone for REAL independancy with those five films, [just so you know; two thirds of the trilogy of tradgedy; an animation; a dogma 2.0 film; and a spoof] but I doubt you guys will be able to handle those films, or possibly even enjoy them.

I say you go with films that didn't show at the multiplexes.
Just because I film was funded by one of the top 5 don't make it independant. It was still funded.

Tom
Just to clarify what an Indie Film is: Films that are not in your normal mainstream, regardless if a big studio has there hands on it. Big films are always going to have there hand in Indie films. But regardless of the fact, its your opinion and you should not be shot down for that, it's just your opinion.

Now With Moveable Parts
Like Memento...right? Because I saw it when only our little independent theater picked it up...then all the buzz started swarming around it, and then it came to our United Artists theater, with like trailers and stuff added on. So I see what you're saying. Indepenent doesn't have to mean no big studio picked it up...like the Blair Witch Project. Is this correct?

*Cough*notindependantyou'reallwrongdammit*cough*!!!

And with that I'll bow out of a conversation that looked like it could have been gold....

I heard there's a great little Indie Flick called ...almost .

How much did it cost you to make Ryan Paige? And did a studio fund it? ANY studio? Was the majority of the cash from your own pocket?

Now With Moveable Parts
Oh Pahleese...

See...these kinds of threads get so damn technical, it's no friggin' fun. Someone always has to define something for everyone else based on their opinion of what the truth is. Someone else has to argue with them...and there you have it. A wasted thread that no one wants to post on.

Top Five American Independent Films of All-Time...

1. Shadows (1959 - John Cassavetes)
2. Mean Streets (1973 - Marty Scorsese)
3. Stranger Than Paradise (1984 - Jim Jarmusch)
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968 - George Romero)
5. The World's Greatest Sinner (1962 - Timothy Carey)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I heard there's a great little Indie Flick called ...almost .

How much did it cost you to make Ryan Paige? And did a studio fund it? ANY studio? Was the majority of the cash from your own pocket?
Did any studio fund Blair Witch? Or was it made on a limited budget? I heard it only cost minimal G's. Hm...whatever. I shall be bowing out now.

No.
Blair Witch is [unfortunatly] independant.
Studio's DID fund it's distribution. But that's to be expected.

Tom
Man Silverbullet you are pretty harsh when it comes to a simple subject. Food for thought Silverbullet. If you are a waiter, and you go to another restraunt to be served. Two things are going to happen. A:You criticize the service and complain on how you would serve someone or you enjoy the restraunt. Just to clarify a little bit deeper, just put your top five and let's take it from there.

Later

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
*Cough*notindependantyou'reallwrongdammit*cough*!!!

But this is what you said to me after I talked about Blair Witch. Look, this thread is going to be a lot of whistle blowing, so I'm just gonna participate.

Yeah the fact that I over reacted inbetween the words cough and cough you might have been able to see I was also partly-joking.

The board already know how anti-anything-mainstream is and the majority of you probably already think I'm unreasonable when it comes to it. I'm just saying what I think, and I get talkings to for it.

Me and TWT had a discussion and decided to agree to disagree in the Harry Potter thread. Knock yourself out reading it, I'm not it the mood to start sticking up for what I believe is right.

What does the word independant mean in the dictionary? It certainly doesn't mean recieving aid and/or help for larger sources, it means helping oneself, or something.

Tom, you're new here. You will soon learn to hate my views. I may as well start of early. Better hate me now rather than later.

BTW Sades, I was talking about your Momento comment. Not Blair Witch. I dislike discussing Blair Witch though. Hence I bow out of this thread.....again.

Now With Moveable Parts
whatever plbtlhpth *boring* you were much cuter when I thought you were an old man silver B. kidding

Now With Moveable Parts
Hmmm...I don't know...Silver B.

This thread is so worked over now...all because of your principles...you better fix it. Cute or not, you can't get by on your charm forever...well, at least I don't think so. Forever is a loooooong time.

Alright, time to lethally inject some of my wholesome common sense into this misguided young thread. First off, "independent" is a word that we all know of: it means by itself, basically. Independent of anything else. An independent film is a film that pretty much get mades on it's own, without all kinds of external funding. Where's the line drawn? I'm not sure...but I think you can define it, specifically, however you like...just mention what guidelines you're using when you do. No big deal there.

Now, obviously, once the film is made, how and when it is distributed is pretty much irrelevant. If a couple college students make "The Blair Witch Project" on their own, for the most part, then it's an Independent Film. It's not as if a film STOPS becoming Independent when a lot of people see it, or when it's put into movie theatres. While the lack of those latter things is simply something that USUALLY goes with an Indy film, it's not actually part of the definition.

Silver: look man, you have your views, and that's all well and good. I can respect that much...but what I cannot respect is this holier-than-thou attitude I feel vibing from your general direction. Is it somehow more noble to make a small Indy film with local actors than it is to make a large one with "names"? Is it somehow dishonorable to let people give you money to try to make your movie look nicer?

Tom: my apologies! Welcome to MovieForums...please do not let this thread discourage you...though I'd be lying if I said things like this were rare.