What do you think of this Editorial?

Tools    

I wrote a short little piece on what Film Fanaticism is after seeing a website that laid down prerequisites for becoming a film fanatic which I found a little...odd. But anyway, check my piece out and tell me how you guys feel about it.

What is the Film Fanatic?

Well...? What makes a film fanatic a fanatic? Is it the three hundred plus movie collection shrine in the living room? Or is it the three screenplays in the "My Documents" folder, under Final Draft 7 that makes us a film fanatic. Is it our dream of becoming an indie filmmaker, holding our Holy Grail that is a DVX-100, with a Letus attached that we bought with the money we got from selling our vinyl collection and baseball memorabilia?

Or is it something deeper. Is it the emotion that is stirred up in us when we see Lamotta dancing in the ring in the opening cinematic of "Raging Bull", the awe that takes us over when we watch the Trevi Fountain scene from "La Dolce Vita".

It can be any of these factors and more that characterize us as film gurus, junkies, buffs, and aficionados. Cinephiles and cinemaphiles. Film Fanatics. There comes a time however, when we finally understand ourselves as film fanatics. And it's those moments, when we realize our calling, that define us as being fanatics. It's the moments when even the most miniscule notions, objects, and images in film can spark that special catalyst in us from whence we realize we are film fanatics, and thus the birth of the future Scorseses and Anthony Lanes.

I remember, a long time ago, when I first stumbled across Frank Capra's famous "Film is a disease..." quote. It wasn't until my 100th time reading the 30 odd-word quote that I was gushing with happiness, knowing a giant and genius like Frank Capra felt the same way about film as I did.. Knowing that amongst the dozens of quotes sports fanatics can relate to that sums up their love for their game so eloquently, was a quote for film fanatics, which we could all relate to. I felt a part of a group of auteurs, intellects, and gurus. I knew Wilder, Ford, Kubrick, Lean, and Kazan had read the same quote. And for that moment in thought, I was with them. Sometimes it's the moments when we realize what we are, that defines us as who we are.

After that realization, everything under the same sun flows naturally. The sleepless nights spent wrapping up your second act; the time spent perusing enthusiastically at the Criterion Collection online; watching your favorite Kurosawa and Fellini films you have just to reassure their positions on your 100 Greatest Directors list. The numerous things we do to feed our hunger.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone; it bosses the enzymes; directs the pineal gland; plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to film is more film."
-Frank Capra

Originally Posted by topic title
What do you think of this editorial?
I think the last bit from Capra sounds familiar, but I'm not sure why.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

John Ford rocks!!!
Thats a great essay on being a movie fanatic. I love [and live by] the quote from Capra. I have allways felt proud of my knowledge of movies [history, titles, people, ETC].

I really hate it when people only like one or two types of movies. Almost Famous is good but so are Twister, The Perfect Storm, Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstien, and even as arty as Bergman films. 100+ years of cinema with its westerns, comedy, drama, horror movies, sci-fi, and movies before they could talk [silent]. The movies are so much. Here is an example:

Film is the following:

Barbra Streisand, Pauline Kael Harry Knowles, Gone With The Wind, Clerks, Crumb, the Beatles, Q Tarentino, Charles Chaplin, Walt Disney, the Coen Brothers, Passolini, Ingmar Bergman, Pedro Almidovar, James Wong Howe, Al Pachino, Michael Mann, Frank Zappa, Charlton Heston, Forrest Gump, Traffic, the Best Years Of Our Lives, the Deer Hunter, the Big Lebowski, Pandora's Box, tjhe Thin Man, the Searchers, Alphaville, Jaws, Titanic, Seven Sammuri, Humphrey Bogart, Reese Witherspoon, Tex Ritter, Selma Blair, Carey Grant, Pola Negri, Willem Defoe, William Wyler, Steve Buschemi, Bela Lugosi, William Dickson, Lew Wasserman, and I could go on and on and on.

There are thousands and thousands of movies to choose from. Think about that!!! Thousands!!!

MOVIES ARE ALOT OF THINGS. SOME WE LIKE AND OTHERS WE MAY NOT, BUT ITS QUITE A 100 + YEARS AND NOT JUST ONE DECADE OR GENRE ETC. THAT WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THE MEDIUM OF MOTION PICTURES.