I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix)

→ in
Tools    

I didn't understand this movie until I googled its meaning. I thought it was another horror movie that made no sense but after I read up on it I realized that I was wrong. The movie made sense and it was not a horror movie, what it actually was is a sad and depressing movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I thought a MoFo's suicidal! Dangerous thread title!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I thought a MoFo's suicidal! Dangerous thread title!

I see what you mean but originally I added " Movie on Netflix " after the title but the post got moved and this was dropped and now I can't add it to the title. I'm sure if they read the post they will see that it is just the title of a movie playing on Netflix.

Actually when I watched the movie I thought that the title of the movie meant that the girl was thinking of ending her relationship with her boyfriend. I can't give any more details because I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone that hasn't seen it yet and would like to.

I don't like the film and was angry they wasted my time

I didn't like it either but I would have been lying in bed looking at my phone anyway.

Strange thing to be angry about.

It’s a very good movie IMO.

A lot of Good Will Hunting fans in this thread.

9/10

Haven't seen it yet, but will soon. I think one of the reasons I haven't yet is that, even though I like Kaufman's work, everything since Being John Malkovich has been really emotionally draining, and this sure looks like it will be, too.

Haven't seen it yet, but will soon. I think one of the reasons I haven't yet is that, even though I like Kaufman's work, everything since Being John Malkovich has been really emotionally draining, and this sure looks like it will be, too.
Personally, I didn’t find it draining, but that’s just me.

I wouldn't say it's too emotionally draining, personally. It's, essentially, a condemnation of
WARNING: spoilers below
incels
. While that's a rough subject in and of itself, once you get a grip on its themes and the implications of them, it should be pretty manageable to stomach. Compared to something like Synecdoche, New York, it's a walk in the park.

Have you seen Human Nature? I think that's the lightest of Kaufman's comedies and requires the least emotional investment. It's also very funny and rarely mentioned.

But I won't lie. Ending Things is closer to Synecdoche with a slice of dark-side Eternal Sunshine mixed in. It's psychologically dark and dreary, as abysmal as a dark road in a snowstorm. I'm maybe more inclined to find the plunge intriguing.

I wouldn't say it's too emotionally draining, personally. It's, essentially, a condemnation of
WARNING: spoilers below
incels
Meh, I think the film is a lot more complex and empathetic than that, and as much romantic frustration is involved, I don't see it rising to the level of misogyny. It's an incel's nightmare, perhaps, but it's not a condemnation of the character. I think the more productive read is that it dissects the convergence between memory and media and self-mythology. Very Synecdoche but a different flavor. Jake dreams he could have Caden's artistic success.

Have you seen Human Nature? I think that's the lightest of Kaufman's comedies and requires the least emotional investment. It's also very funny and rarely mentioned.
I have! I liked it okay. As exhausting as it might be to watch some of his films, that might be inseparable from the things I like about them. But yeah after I saw Malkovich (I think a few years after release?) I went out and tried to find everything else of his I could, for obvious reasons.

But I won't lie. Ending Things is closer to Synecdoche with a slice of dark-side Eternal Sunshine mixed in. It's psychologically dark and dreary, as abysmal as a dark road in a snowstorm. I'm maybe more inclined to find the plunge intriguing.
I definitely find it intriguing, and I never regret it. It's more just about managing the emotional state. I'm always into it once I start.

Quick addendum, it reminds me a little of Schindler's List, which I saw well after release, knowing obviously it would be draining, so I waited until I didn't have anything to do after so I could just sit with it and not have to, I dunno, play softball or something frivolous afterwards. Not as extreme as that, but kinda like that.

Meh, I think the film is a lot more complex and empathetic than that, and as much romantic frustration is involved, I don't see it rising to the level of misogyny. It's an incel's nightmare, perhaps, but it's not a condemnation of the character. I think the more productive read is that it dissects the convergence between memory and media and self-mythology. Very Synecdoche but a different flavor. Jake dreams he could have Caden's artistic success.
Okay, that's fair. I think you're right that Jake is more complex than what I think. I plan to rewatch this film later this year and, when I do, I'll have to amend my reading of him.

In spite of this, however, I do think there's an undercurrent of a sense of entitlement Jake feels towards Buckley with the nods to Oklahoma! in how he feels he deserves her as his love interest.

In spite of this, however, I do think there's an undercurrent of a sense of entitlement Jake feels towards Buckley with the nods to Oklahoma! in how he feels he deserves her as his love interest.
There's definitely this sense, if by 'incel' we mean strictly someone who is involuntarily lonely. Jake has that self-pity, but I don't see the anger towards women that incels indulge. I think it's interesting (avoiding spoilers) that Jake's romantic ideal involves someone who is likely smarter than he is, independently intelligent and occasionally contrarian. These are not qualities held to high esteem in the incel community.

There's definitely this sense, if by 'incel' we mean strictly someone who is involuntarily lonely. Jake has that self-pity, but I don't see the anger towards women that incels indulge. I think it's interesting (avoiding spoilers) that Jake's romantic ideal involves someone who is likely smarter than he is, independently intelligent and occasionally contrarian. These are not qualities held to high esteem in the incel community.
Okay, fair enough. I think you're definitely right that he isn't an incel. I'll see what I think of the film next time I watch it now that I know how to read Jake.