What are your favorite pre-code films?

Tools    

The most loathsome of all goblins
I like Ruth Chatterton in another Pre Code film

I love the Forbidden Hollywood series. It's a shame they went out-of-print, but at least now you can get them burned on demand through the Warner Archives.

My favorite of those I've seen so far is this one:

Jean Harlow is a great actress, and the plot of the film hits close to home. If you changed the setting to Texas in the 1990's, it's almost identical to the story of my stepmother.

I Enjoy Working With People
While M may have been distributed in the US, it was produced and filmed in Germany so it is decidedly not a pre-code picture. The Hays code was something cooked up by the Hollywood studios for the Hollywood studios, to keep control over their content so that the government wouldn't step in and censor everything.

Nevertheless, it is a classic.

I wasn't unsure of what the Hayes Code was, I was unsure of what you were asking for in your original post. Thanks for clarifying your original post. Yes, I agree, M is a great movie and way ahead of its time. I think that's why I wasn't the only person who mentioned it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
"M" is my favorite thriller.. I DVR'd it, but a thriller doesn't hold up - since you know what happens.. I did love the courtroom scene, especially the "judge" based on what he does, still respected...

I love the Forbidden Hollywood series. It's a shame they went out-of-print, but at least now you can get them burned on demand through the Warner Archives.
"Burned on demand"? Please elaborate?

Baby Face

You guys notice who plays the kid ogling the women? I'll hide it if you want to guess or see if you recognize him. :cool.
WARNING: "identity" spoilers below
Billy Barty
Without looking at your spoiler (scouts honor) I will say Jackie Coogan.. Uncle Fester in Adams Family.

Let the night air cool you off
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- City Lights
- Dracula
- Duck Soup
- Frankenstein
- The Invisible Man
- King Kong
- The Mummy
- The Old Dark House
- Trouble in Paradise

You might notice a Universal theme.