The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just bought a game because this guy did the music...

(It is a cutesy VR ‘find the thing’ game, where the characters run at half the frame rate of everything else for some reason. But it’s good to have such things between headcrab maulings )

Edit: I’ll say this for working from home, the money I’m saving on travel I’m spending on games

The Adventure Starts Here!
@Golgot ... is that machine a real thing?? Like, is it really what's playing that music? I kinda assume NOT, but honestly, it looks like it could be real. It's awesome.

Also, what is the name of the cutesy game?

there's a frog in my snake oil
@Golgot ... is that machine a real thing?? Like, is it really what's playing that music? I kinda assume NOT, but honestly, it looks like it could be real. It's awesome.

Yep genuine machine (if you check his YT channel there he goes into absurd depth about how he makes them )

And um, the game is called: The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets

(I’m still playing the stoopid Mario Karts clone at the moment though. Also I bought a historical tour of Bruges... it was £1...)

(And a chemistry lesson. I bought a chemistry lesson. There’s some education in this VR and I’m going to find it )

A system of cells interlinked

Definitely real. That's been around for awhile.

Meanwhile: I watched a mini-review for Final Fantasy VII: Remake, and man, by the end, I was just sort of sad for the current state of the video game industry.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Definitely real. That's been around for awhile.

Meanwhile: I watched a mini-review for Final Fantasy VII: Remake, and man, by the end, I was just sort of sad for the current state of the video game industry.
Please elaborate? I'd like to see it too, if you still have the link.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You ready? You look ready.
Seconded on a link to the review. I am taking a hard pass at the FF7 remake.

Also, that machine has me discouraged as ****. How can you ever make cooler music than that? Like literally everyone should just stop trying after seeing that dude in action
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Link to the review

A bit spoilery, but I played the original, so didn't care.

Basically, they took the first 4-5 hours of the original, which is basically a long tutorial, and made that into a 30+ hour game, and that's it. This only takes place in Midgar. So, the plan is to milk the remake into several releases over time. The original game was a sprawling, 3CD release with you know, the whole game on it. So now they will charge 60 bucks to let you do fetch quests for the guy you used to just get a potion from, or something. Final Fantasy VII was impressive for its epic scope at the time. Like McClane, I am a hard pass on this one.

By the way, I payed 20 bucks for The Witcher III and all its DLC, and got 200+ hours play out of it. Sorry Squenix!

Ah, OK. That’s the exact reason I’m passing because I hated the Midgar portion of the game. I get why they did what they did with the game being split into multiple portions, but it’s bull hockey that you need to spend 30 hours in Midgar.

I mean, for crying out loud you revisit the city again later in the game. Redo that part.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
OOOOhhhh wait, wait!!! There's all kind of added fetch quests now. You people are just being unreasonable

You should try the demo. The combat is fun, but I'm out on paying retail for games anymore anyways. Plus, I want more games that are quick and to the point. I don't have 70 hours to spend on a game anymore. Virtual pinball sounds promising.

I watched some footage this morning of the game after you bomb the Mako reactor and the remake is WAY, WAY worse than I originally thought. FF7 Remake? More like FF7 Screwup.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Started Persona 5 Royal yesterday and am loving it.

Maybe it's because I remember very little of the original game but I think this may be the one Persona I see through until the end. I burned out on 3, 4 and OG 5 at the 30-40 hour mark due to the relentless grind.

I could never get into FF7 anyway, so I probably don't have enough experience to make a comparison or to be disappointed really. I only started FF7 after FF8, because coworkers at the time were raving how it was the best game ever. I think I made it far enough to have a Cloud flashback finding Sephiroth in some metal chamber. That, or I'm confusing it with Chrono Trigger (which I felt was a superior game). Anyway, I couldn't get into the more cartoony character designs of 7 after coming out of 8 and that was that.

With all that out, I might actually be able to get into this. But it'll probably be another 5 years before I make the effort.

In other news, I may have reached my saturation point with Warcraft. I hit 30 on my druid a little over a week ago and haven't progressed two bars since. I leveled a dwarf priest to 10 then started a rogue to about 5, I think. I think I'm done for the moment as I have no motivation to do more than check auction house sells each night. Maybe it's the point in my cycle to get back into music...

Started Persona 5 Royal yesterday and am loving it.

Maybe it's because I remember very little of the original game but I think this may be the one Persona I see through until the end. I burned out on 3, 4 and OG 5 at the 30-40 hour mark due to the relentless grind.
I loved 3, but the Tartarus stuff was SUPER grindy. I did end up finishing that game, though.

Buuuurrrn myyyy dreaaaaaaad!

I could never get into FF7 anyway, so I probably don't have enough experience to make a comparison or to be disappointed really. I only started FF7 after FF8, because coworkers at the time were raving how it was the best game ever. I think I made it far enough to have a Cloud flashback finding Sephiroth in some metal chamber. That, or I'm confusing it with Chrono Trigger (which I felt was a superior game). Anyway, I couldn't get into the more cartoony character designs of 7 after coming out of 8 and that was that.
FF8 is definitely the superior game, but I much prefer the story of FF7 and its materia system.

But yeah, FF8 was just so much better in every regard. It was darker, music was better, the FMVs were out of this world, and the card game was one of the greatest mini-games I have ever played.

I didn't like FF8 when it originally came out because it was such a departure from FF7, but now that I'm older and wiser (that last part is debatable) I can see that FF8 was a far superior installment.

I seem to recall 12 as being really fun, and I loved the gambit system. My only complaint was the sort of lonely, i am the only ******* playing this barren MMO feeling of the zones. I like X a whole lot, too.

I seem to recall 12 as being really fun, and I loved the gambit system. My only complaint was the sort of lonely, i am the only ******* playing this barren MMO feeling of the zones. I like X a whole lot, too.
X was phenomenal. Really ushered in the new era graphics wise, and I really loved the sphere grid. But man, oh man, I hated 12. Reminded me too much of .hack

I never played either. I did pickup FF13 I think. Beautiful game with great voices. Acting was a bit over the top mostly, but I'm totally still crushing on Georgia van Cuylenburg. My only issue was that level designs were linear with no room for exploration. Simply A to B and done.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm in the middle of a (very slow, but I've got time ) playthrough of 12 on the Switch.

I know it's been tidied up visually but I'm still staggered that a game could look this good on the PS2.

Having had 3 solid weeks of Sunday afternoons, loooong JRPGs have found their way back into my life.

I'm in the middle of a (very slow, but I've got time ) playthrough of 12 on the Switch.

I know it's been tidied up visually but I'm still staggered that a game could look this good on the PS2.

Having had 3 solid weeks of Sunday afternoons, loooong JRPGs have found their way back into my life.
If only I had the time. I would love to play the remastered 12, but man, I can't even find time to finish RDR2, which i was loving while I was playing it. I somehow have less time to game now that all this stuff is going on.