Gatsby's Top 50 Albums

Tools    

Master of My Domain

I don't like ranking movies, tv shows, music, or anything that can be organized into a certain order in terms of quality, but I thought doing a list would be fun. It also gives me something to routinely do.

In this list, I tried to showcase what my general taste looks like, but just because a rock music album is higher than a jazz album doesn't mean I prefer rock. My Top 10 is pretty much the only bunch that's in an exact order. I also tried to put in a variety of artists, instead of limiting myself to Rush, The Who, and The Police. Lastly, some of the albums on this list are ones I recently got into, so disclaimer: not a lot of classic rock and pop.

Not sure if you guys will love my picks or despise them, but that's exactly why I made this thread. Sharing my favorites and finding out if others agree on them.

Bonus picture: Dark Side of the Moon cake

Very cool Gatsby, gonna be shweet. I have really come to appreciate you when it comes to music, because even though you might not love everything, you are definitely open to everything in a very genuine way. I like that you seek out new stuff and give it a real opportunity. Everyone should be like that.

Master of My Domain
50. Gaucho

Favorite Tracks:

1. Babylon Sisters
2. TIme Out of Mind
3. Third World Man

Steely Dan's way of dissecting genres of music and putting them back together using their own unique style never fails to amaze me. This is my favorite Steely Dan because it combines jazz and rock (seems impossible, but they pull it off somehow) and a bit of prog rock too. Real classy stuff.

You are Korean but listen to mostly Anglo Saxon pop music. Is Korea that Americanized? In my top 100 albums I had about 40 Anglo Saxon albums as well but Latin America always was a UK - US cultural colony. I expected Korea to be under high level of Japanese cultural influence not American.

I love Steely Dan. I love Pretzel Logic and Aja. I haven't heard this one, though.

Master of My Domain
49. Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd

Favorite Tracks:

1. Free Bird
2. Tuesday's Gone
3. Simple Man

The debut album by, errr, Lineard Skynard (seriously, that how I used to call them, until I read the album cover ) is funny, because it makes even die hard classic rock fans appreciate country a bit more. Sure, the 5 minute guitar solo at the end of Free Bird make this album legendary, but the other tracks are worth listening to.

Master of My Domain
You are Korean but listen to mostly Anglo Saxon pop music. Is Korea that Americanized? In my top 100 albums I had about 40 Anglo Saxon albums as well but Latin America always was a UK - US cultural colony. I expected Korea to be under high level of Japanese cultural influence not American.
No, that's not Korea Americanized. I listen to mostly American music because

1) I find it to be better than Korean music
2) Like I said, I do listen to Korean music, but I don't mention it here because nobody has ever heard of them before, which is also why Korean music is not on this list.

Great pick! Pronounced was my favorite album when I was 12. I think I still have that old, scratched CD I played to death, somewhere.

The problem with Skynyrd, and why I don't consider them a favorite - maybe you feel differently - is I don't feel they lived up to the greatness of Pronounced with their work after. Second Helping is... okay... but not nearly on the same level of greatness.

Master of My Domain
They aren't exactly I favorite of mine either - I just really like their first album. Allman Brothers Band is better in terms of consistent quality.

They aren't exactly I favorite of mine either - I just really like their first album. Allman Brothers Band is better in terms of consistent quality.
You speak the truth.

No, that's not Korea Americanized. I listen to mostly American music because

1) I find it to be better than Korean music
2) Like I said, I do listen to Korean music, but I don't mention it here because nobody has ever heard of them before, which is also why Korean music is not on this list.
I see. But you shouldn't exclude Korean music because I think that would be interesting as well.

I wouldn't say that I liked or dislike music from a certain country or not, both Eminem and Slayer are American and both Zeca Pagodinho and Angra are Brazilian but I like Angra and Slayer and I dislike Zeca Pagodinho and Eminem, I don't think of music in terms of countries. In my list of top 100 albums I included albums from the following countries among others:

Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Norway
Brazil
US
Japan
UK
France
Switzerland
Austria

I like two genres of music: classical and metal and you can find great metal music everywhere. I didn't include any Korean album because I don't know any Korean metal bands. Overall though most of my favorite albums are from Germany and the Scandinavian countries, the region of the world were metal is the most popular.

Master of My Domain
I see. But you shouldn't exclude Korean music because I think that would be interesting as well.
I'll do an honorable mentions post that will have a handful of Korean albums.

Master of My Domain
48. Genius + Soul = Jazz

Favorite Tracks:

1. I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town
2. Strike up the Band
3. From the Heart

There are a lot of Ray Charles albums that I like but for some reason this one clicks with me the most. In my opinion it's a combination of slightly better instrumentals and more melodic tunes. And of course, as always, Ray Charles' voice is amazing. I do have one problem though: if Genius + Soul = Jazz, does that mean Genius = Jazz - Soul?

Master of My Domain
47. Electric Warrior

Favorite Tracks:

1. Rip Off
2. Get it On
3. Jeepster

Electric Warrior is one of those albums that has a cool tone. The guitar riffs are smooth and playful, drums add just enough boldness, and Marc Bolan's voice is confident and seductive - it's almost as if he's asking you to join the fun - which you do end up doing, making the 40 minutes fly by in a hurry. Blues glam rock ftw.

Three out of four reps for me thus far, might've been a full house but I'm not sure I've ever listened to the Ray Charles album. Great that you are doing this Gats, looking forward to keeping up with it.

Master of My Domain
Three out of four reps for me thus far, might've been a full house but I'm not sure I've ever listened to the Ray Charles album. Great that you are doing this Gats, looking forward to keeping up with it.
Thanks Chyp. Full house is great but I'm okay with a Three of a Kind.