Gatsby's New and Improved Flick Critique

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
The Graduate (1967)

Directed by: Mike Nichols
Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross

The quote that starts everything.

I just want to say before I start anything else: Wow, what an experience.

The Graduate is equivalent to a 60s version of Pulp Fiction. Not because the plot are characters are similar, but because of the never-aging cultural impact. The late 60s started a sex craze and liberal, open ideas of society that would last for many years, and The Graduatewas an important part of it.

But is the film simply a rebellious piece of art that is responsible for breaking the ideal clean, pure, and conservative American society? I think it's rather the exact opposite. Most seem to believe that The Graduate is mainly about Anne Bancroft seducing Dustin Hoffman. The film is indeed dirty, wild and free-spirited. Now, if it just could be summed up with that single sentence, it wouldn't be a masterpiece. The Graduate is a masterpiece because it doesn't end as a comedy about an awkward situation involving a married woman – unlike most comedies it shows the painful aftermath, and the ugly side the audience usually doesn't want to see. It isn't praise sex and affairs, instead it shows what it could lead to. The Graduate is daring not because of it's, at the time, outrageous and controversial premise. It is daring because of the film's impeccable ability to dissect a complex series of events, and then put them back into a both tragic and relate-able quest for trying to find an answer in the midst of barriers of freedom located everywhere.

The film starts off with Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) traveling back to his home to attend a graduation party his parents and relatives have prepared. The camera's focus is always on him, but he is mercilessly constantly overshadowed and bothered by other people who want to control his future. Famously, one of them says the future is in "plastic". He tries to answer their questions, but you obviously see that Ben is annoyed by all the fiasco. In an attempt to have a moment to himself, he goes to his room.

After meeting Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), who asks if Ben can give her a ride home, the two starts a secretive sexual relationship after Mrs. Robinson tries her best to convince Ben. When Ben realizes that she's only with him for the sexual pleasure, he leaves her, and Mrs. Robinson slowly becomes angered. As revenge, she doesn't t allow Ben to date with her daughter, Elaine (Katharine Ross), even though clearly the two like each other, which is the point.

I'd like the comment on the music used in the film. Simon and Garfunkel, the folk/rock band became nationally famous after their songs where used. The songs are pleasant to listen to but on the inside deep and depressing, perfectly matching Ben's psychological state. The songs are an essential part of the movie but never interfere too much. It's s the same for other minor sub-plots and arcs. Mike Nichols knows what he's doing. He knows that the film isn't just any other comedy; he knows that Dustin Hoffman's character and the inner conflicts should be the focus.

That being said, Dustin Hoffman's performance shines, even when beaten down and rejected by unwelcome tyrants who loom over him. In fact, the supporting characters give an ever more powerful emphasis. It creates a sense of connection, relating to thousands of new graduates, and those soon to be one, or even anyone struggling with a love that cannot happen, including me.

I am currently in my final year in college, and to be honest I don't know what to do when I need to struggle to find my own place in this hectic, depressing world. To this day I keep hesitating and lose the little confidence I have. Similarly to Ben, I studied for hours and hours trying to get into a college at least located in the capital city, where everything trendy and innovative happens. I succeeded, people were proud of me, and now what?

Benjamin at first is a slightly stammering and a very passive person, but once he meets something he wants to fight for, Elaine, he gains courage. He jumps, runs, and drives all around town and fights a mob of people. In my opinion, the film indirectly tells young men and women that they should have a flame in their heart. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but it's the impression I got as the movie faded away and ended.

I wanted to write about the outstanding and dynamic editing and the cinematography by Robert Surtess, also the cinematographer for the 1959 version of Ben Hur. However after I was done writing all of the above I wanted to end on a more personal note, because it has been a long time since a film left such a profound effect on me. My expectation for this film was definitely not what I'm going through now, put into a cinematic fantasy, then wonderfully executed by the hands of a director I enjoy, a genius rock duo I love, and a cast that I was not familiar before, but as a result of this film want to dig into. I am glad to have watched The Graduate for the first time at a right age and before the Movie Forums 60s list.

From this moment on, I induct The Graduate into the hall of Gatsby's personal favorites.

Master of My Domain
You felt it, alright.
Yeah I totally did. And I made sure not to miss a split second of Mrs. Robinson.
Brilliant film.
Indeed.

Good review Gatsby. You make me want to revisit a film I have only seen once and found pretty ho hum. Maybe I will get back to it this week. Going to re-watch Midnight Cowboy this weekend, that could be a cool double feature.

Master of My Domain
Glad you liked the review, and I hope you enjoy The Graduate even more.

Edit - Hey, realized both films have Dustin Hoffman in a lead role.

Glad you liked the review, and I hope you enjoy The Graduate even more.

Edit - Hey, realized both films have Dustin Hoffman in a lead role.
Yeah, I live Hoffman so I expected to love The Graduate but just didn't. Midnight Cowboy will be on my list, it's just a matter of where.

Master of My Domain
For me it's the other way around, I love The Graduate, but found Midnight Cowboy underwhelming...
Thoughts on my review?

Also, is there a reason why you don't like Midnight Cowboy? Well I don't love it myself but I respect it a lot and some scenes make my heart cripple.

Thoughts on my review?

Also, is there a reason why you don't like Midnight Cowboy? Well I don't love it myself but I respect it a lot and some scenes make my heart cripple.
I hadn't read it yet as I posted that, but I just wanted to get it out there before I forgot.

But I've read it now, and I would say it's one of the best reviews you've done. A pleasure to read and very well-written. Love the personal touch too.

On Midnight Cowboy, I wouldn't say I don't like it, it just wasn't nearly as good as I expected it to be. But I don't know why. I just didn't connect with it or found it much interesting. Hoffman was the best thing about the film and especially the end was great. But the rest I didn't care for much. But I've only seen it once, so I don't know how I will feel with a rewatch some day...

Excellent review Gatsby! It's awesome that the film had such a personal impact on you. Though I never reviewed it, I'd also give The Graduate a 5/5. It's quite a masterpiece and I love the music in it. The opening scene is probably my favorite in the whole film!

Master of My Domain
Thanks False Writer. If you aren't doing reviews anymore you might as well keep following my thread.

IMO, the ending scene tops any scene in the entire movie, but the opening scene is great too!

Excellent review Gatsby

The Graduate is actually quite an important film in my movie watching progress. I think I possibly watched films I should've had no interest in at a younger age than most my age here. My mum is a massive film fan so I found myself watching black and white films like Wuthering Heights (1939), and plenty of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford films that I don't know the name of. This was followed by my first viewings of Hitchcock of which I'm eternally grateful to her for. +1 my mum!

Anyway The Graduate was part of a weekly Classic film showing in the UK when I was about 15-16. What I remember being shown is, Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, The Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket. All are now major favourites except The Deer Hunter.

Master of My Domain
Thanks Camo. I'm always jealous of MoFos who started watching good movies at a young age. My parents aren't a fan of film and a strong believer of "adult content makes you adult-ish". Glad too see another MoFo who has a personal connection with The Graduate.

You don't like The Deer Hunter? Hell yeah.

Master of My Domain
Moonrise Kingdom (2011)

Directed by: Wes Anderson
Starring: Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward, Edward Norton, Billy Murray, Frances McDormand

Reminds me of the upcoming MoFo Prom.
I have a problem when I watch Wes Anderson films. I finish the movie, receiving a sweet, scrumptious experience, but that never means I loved it. A critic described Anderson's films as a huge dessert, and that's entirely true. My sweet tooth is squashed and I'm all happy-go-lucky from the sugar but I hardly feel warm and full. My insides are still empty, so to fill the hollowness, I rewatch one of his films yet again. And I'm still not full. The cycle continues.

Moonrise Kingdom probably has the most sugar and syrup out of all desserts on his gratuitous menu. Consequently, it is the quirkiest and rapidly edited and paced film, but crafted with smoothness and clarity, out of all his filmography. Quirk here, quirk there, every single frame is filled with quirkiness. In fact, there's so much quirkiness that it overflows and strikes the people viewing it. When I got out of my seat to take a nap after I was finished, I felt all quirky, and I tried to lie in bed while keeping a symmetrical view of things.

Quirkiness, if used wrong, can end up extremely campy and have unbearable annoyance. Anderson is the master, and he found out a way to make a new brand of quirk which is lively and entertaining, but still keeping the fine, artistic touches. Such uses are when a scissor is stabbed into a boy. Instead of showing the gritty and gruesome impact, the moment of bloodshed is replaced by a cartoon drawing of a scissor bursting into a red color. It is creative and helps keep the overall tone of the film – an innocent, simple tale about a pubescent young couple.

But sometimes he goes a bit too far. Yep, style over substance. It shows the most when the characters are exchanging dialogue that needs a significant amount of emotion. In an attempt to create sublime quirkiness in every moment, the acting is sacrificed. The actors' facial muscles seem to be controlled by invisible, malfunctioning strings, as the strings don't seem to have the ability to go up (what's wrong with a cheerful smile?).Thus, a blank expression is usually what they have. Their heads move like pigeons, and they twist and turn like puppets. This doesn't mean the acting isn't great, from the leads (the two main young actors are exceptional) to the little roles, it's hard to find a flaw. They are acting well, but they're acting eccentric, overly quirky people well.

The plot revolves around Sam (Jared Gilman), an unpopular scout of Camp Invanhoe, led by Scout Master Randy Ward (Edward Norton), coincidentally encountering Suzy (Kara Hayward) and becoming pen pals. The two fall in love and escape to a nearby wilderness successfully. When Suzy's parents (Billy Murray and Frances McDormand), a local policeman (Bruce Willis), and of course the Scout Master find out about the escape, they try to make things right.

The plot is not what matters in the film; it's the bits and pieces and the world around it. As the music flows and the people dance, you realize the personal love and affection Anderson put into the film. It shows that he simply wanted to have fun, creating his own puzzle and putting the parts together to do what he enjoys best. Even the colors and background look better, and while you can say it's because the setting is a nature oriented island, I say it's because a director's personal touch can look just that good.

Then again, he gets lost in his fantasy often, though I tried to ignore them most of the time. The random lightning coming from the sky, striking Sam and the sudden mood swings did bother me, but the harm done is minimal. Because Moonrise Kingdom is a story stringed by weird, off-beat situations, a lot can be nitpicked, but it beats the purpose of magical realism.

This film is an adult fairy tale chock-full of non-disturbing adolescence, sexual jokes and profanity. Just don't expect to be completely blown away or have an out-of-world experience. Moonrise Kingdom is a shallow, though never "empty"delight that may leave you somewhat unsatisfied, but nonetheless content when narrator tells you the couple will be fine, because it's impossible not to care about them, and the entire film.

I read this review backwards.

Good stuff. Though you used my mortal enemy - the cursed "style over substance" phrase.

Master of My Domain
I read this review backwards.
Then you would have noticed a positive to negative change.

Also, do you know something can replace Microsoft Word?

Oh I noticed the positivity. I wouldn't have said "good stuff" if the review wasn't positive.

I'm not sure. I bet there are loads of text programs out there, though.