Gatsby's Top 51 Films

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
42. The Truman Show

A great imaginative original movie that manages to exceed in being funny and thrilling at the same time, it had my eyes glued to the screen the whole time.

41. Paris, Texas

The emotions coming from shots of the large, dry areas of Texas and the acting of the two leads made this movie unforgettable for me.

40. The Sting

A stylish movie about con artists with a nice, light feel to it.

I didn't care for The Truman Show, but it was some time ago and I'm not sure how much attention I gave it. I should probably watch it again.

The Sting was weird for me. I felt like I enjoyed while watching it, but I felt soon after that I didn't care for it.

I want to see Paris, Texas.

Gatsby you got great taste! I like almost all of these films. Some I haven't seen.

Life of Pi, While watching it, I thought it was silly and nonsensical.....until I got to the last scene...OMG, the ending really surprised me. A haunting and wonderful film.

The Truman Show, I thought about that film for days and how one's life is like an ongoing movie.

The Sting, just plain good ole fun! Who says films can't be fun!

I haven't seen Paris, Texas but I will someday.

The Truman Show, I thought about that film for days and how one's life is like an ongoing movie.
I thought about it for days afterwards, too. Years, in fact. I keep thinkng "what a waste of time." and "They made the wrong film."

Can I ask a question, Honeykid? You say they made the wrong film...Where you thinking that the film was going to be something else before you watched it? That's often a deal breaker for me.

I did. Not the entire film, of course, but where it ends is where it's about to get interesting, IMO. For me, the entire film is pointless and completely uninteresting without what happens next. Had I known that's what it was, I don't know if I'd have watched it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
42. The Truman Show
40. The Sting

I recently saw The Truman Show because it was recommended by another MoFo member, and I liked it a lot.
I love The Sting. It even made my Top 1970s Movies List.

I haven't seen Paris, Texas.

Master of My Domain
39. Starship Troopers

One of the most fun satire films ever in my opinion, unlike films like Transformers all those explosions and gunshots have a meaning to it.

38. The Shining

Till I saw this film I never knew a harmful name 'Johnny' could be so scary

37. The Conversation

A bold warning of the power of technology thats way ahead of its time.

+rep for every movie in that last set (even though one is on my watchlist). Specifically Starship Troopers, that movie is a family and personal favorite. I definitely recommend the book it's based on as well (though it is quite different). I love the 'Do your part' ads scattered through the film.

Yes! Starship Troopers is so artsy that it looks campy, but it ain't. I love that film.

The Shining, another great choice. Man! Shelly Duval looks scary in that. I guess there was no shampoo in the hotel?

Lord High Filmquisitor
The Truman Show, The Shining and The Conversation are all great films. The Conversation in particular is one that I think that I would enjoy even more if I rewatched it.

Shockingly, I kind of agree with honeykid on his assessment of The Truman Show. I mean, I think it's a decent movie, and I like that Jim Carrey proved that he can pull off a more restrained character, but I think watching a movie about what happens to Truman's character after he steps through the door would be much more interesting. I guess this is one case where I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. Also, I've always thought that the premise would've worked better if we weren't in the know about Truman's situation. Instead of making us an observer, put us in his shoes. Of course, then the movie would have a completely different tone and feel more like a thriller, but that would appeal much more to my sensibilities.

Paris, Texas is a gorgeous, heartbreaking film. The Sting is very entertaining and I love the pairing of Newman and Redford. Starship Troopers was surprisingly clever despite its big, dumb exterior. Everybody but honeykid seems to love The Shining, and rightly so. The Conversation is extremely well-made, but I found it slightly dull; the ending has stuck with me, however.

Shockingly, I kind of agree with honeykid on his assessment of The Truman Show. I mean, I think it's a decent movie, and I like that Jim Carrey proved that he can pull off a more restrained character, but I think watching a movie about what happens to Truman's character after he steps through the door would be much more interesting. I guess this is one case where I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. Also, I've always thought that the premise would've worked better if we weren't in the know about Truman's situation. Instead of making us an observer, put us in his shoes. Of course, then the movie would have a completely different tone and feel more like a thriller, but that would appeal much more to my sensibilities.
I agree and it would've been interesting to see your would-be take on the movie. The Truman Show came off too comedic for my liking, I did like it, the execution didn't match up to the concept though. It could've been so much more.

They had the right idea but the direction was too simple.