Harry Lime's List

→ in
Tools    

Great list Harry. I too am particularly fond of:
  • Night of the Hunter
  • No Country For Old Men
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • High And Low (sometimes I think it's my favourite Kurosawa film)
  • Double Indemnity
  • Traffic
  • The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
  • Rear Window
  • Mulholland Drive
  • The General
  • Raging Bull (as a boxing fan, I go ballistic every time I see this)
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Psycho
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Apocalypse Now
  • The Battle of Algiers
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • The Wild Bunch
  • One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
  • Casablanca
  • Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Quite a few of these will most certainly appear on my Best of the Year list.

Also loving the inclusion of 2 Melville classics. Though I prefer a few others of him over Bob Le Flambeur, it is certainly a terrific film. Le Samourai is a masterpiece, as are Le Cercle Rouge and Army of Shadows.

I will definitely try to watch Wages of Fear from Clouzot. I've only seen Le Corbeau so far, so I have to watch Wages of Fear and Les Diaboliques asap.

Once again, great list. Lovely mixture of old films, modern classics and some very personal choices here and there.

Cool lists. I've seen 76/100. I'll have to queue up City of God.

I'm also happy to see Lawrence of Arabia crept its way into your top 10.

That main list would be a lot different were I to make it today. Many new films added plus a whole lot of rewatching has altered my opinions, one way or another. Plus, I would like to think I've matured in the last couple of years...yeah right. I'll post a new list in about a year or so.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Very, very nice. I have seen that your top 10 favourite films on your profile has changed. I wouldnt rank City of God too high.

^^^ I prefer Clouzot's Les Diaboliques to Wages of Fear. I think the first hour is pretty boring but afterwards its fascinating.

Unbelievably awesome list. My favorites:

-Jaws
-Rear Window
-Invasion of the Body Snatchers
-A Christmas Story
-Raging Bull
-Blade Runner
-Psycho
-The Empire Strikes Back
-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
-The Godfather Part II
-Chinatown
-GoodFellas
-VERTIGO
-Star Wars
-Taxi Driver
-The Godfather
-2001: A Space Odyssey (excellent pick for the top spot)