Emotionally Strong Movies

Tools    

Also,
The assassination of Jessie James.
Very hard not to cry.

You ready? You look ready.

The Fountain

This film rips my heart out every time I see it. Hugh Jackman's absolute best work, and it's a real shame more people haven't seen it (the film was in the red after it left theaters).
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Also,
The assassination of Jessie James.
Very hard not to cry.
Sorry, it's hard sometimes to know if someone is being serious or sarcastic about a flim, but crying over this version of the Jesse James saga, the least sentimental of all the films made about that 19th century killer, seems especially odd. Like mourning John Dillinger when he got gunned down in that alley. For whom were you crying and why?

I agree with "Cinema Paradiso" - I can't think of a better movie that's emotionally engaging.

Although WSS, which is the tops for me regarding movies, is an emotionally very strong and powerful movie, I also admit that there are other films that are emotionally strong also.

My list for emotionally strong movies is as follows:

1) West Side Story

2) Wizard of Oz

3) There Will Be Blood

4) Grizzly Man

5) Harlan County U. S. A.

6) The Graduate

7) Kramer vs. Kramer

The list could go on and on, so I just listed afew here.

I just saw Saving Private Ryan for the first time today and i cant put my finger on the reason why but at the end when Ryan was standing over Captain Miller's grave i started to tear up. Im not sure why, but that really struck a chord with me.

• Zulu. The first fifteen times I saw it, made me very emotional. The fight scenes. At the end of the movie, you feel exhausted.
  • China Syndrome. That frustrating feeling you sometimes get when you deal with red tape and bureaucracy.
  • Das Boot. Very depressing at the end. Emotional highs and lows throughout.
  • Charles Bronson's Death Wish Movies make me feel happy that criminals get punished.

This is Bat Country!
I can think of quite a few but as im doing an essay on it at the moment for my degree , the one that comes to mind is Amores Perros.

Universal themes, which hit struck a chord with me thats for sure.

Also, once in a while, Boromir's death in Fellowship of the Ring still emotionally captivates me too!

Anything that has to do with Slavery, racial issues or genocide. Some people already named the really big ones. Cant really think to well as I havent been to bed , so I'll just name a few off the top of my head:
Roots
Mississippi Burning
Malcolm X
Separate But Equal documentary
Hotel Rwanda
Blood Diamond
Last King of Scotland
Amistad
Schindler's List
Charlotte Gray
anything by Spike Lee. The only agry Spike Lee experience I had was when I was in grad school, and they showed Bamboozled as am educational film w/discussion afterwards. I came to the point that I decided to accept that even if I was more dimwitted than all my peers and "just didnt get it," that I had never been more profoundly confused and angry than at that moment. I walked out halfway through that showing convinced that of one thing: that Spike Lee had finally crossed the line. I was not alone in this thought, so I suppose that means I am joined by others too simple to grasp subtext.

others:
The Missing
I Am David
Rabbit Proof Fence
Bleak House (or most Charles Dickens)
Not Without My Daughter
The Island
The Man Without a Face
Nell
Solaris (remake)
Titanic (ok, I AM officially ashamed now)
The Perfect Storm
Storm of the Century
The Great Escape

...and I'll leave it for now.

So like emotionally draining OR emotionally powerful movies? I think those are two different things so I'll start with emotionally draining:

Cyclo
Men Behind the Sun
Our Children
Tideland
Strange Circus
Hard Candy
All or Nothing
Happiness
Mysterious Skin
Irreversible
Antichrist
Grace is Gone
The Dead Girl
Requiem for a Dream

theres tons more actually. Im strangely attracted to films that hurt to watch for some reason...

The Fountain

This film rips my heart out every time I see it. Hugh Jackman's absolute best work, and it's a real shame more people haven't seen it (the film was in the red after it left theaters).
Yeah, I was thinking that one too. I was an emotionnal mess after seeing that one.