Battlefront 2015

Tools    

I guess I should redirect my question from the Videogames thread here... Is it true that there's not gonna be a campaign?

Edit: Nvm, answered in the videogames thread.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hmm, big ole info dump over at Reddit. All the info scraped from the Beta. Has the lowdown on what seems to be all the weapons, vehicles, heroes, modes, maps etc.

Re the no-Campaign issue FW, looks like these will be the stand-alone missions available in the base game. Seems like they'll be a mix of offline / co-op / vs-a-mate etc:

=====(MISSIONS)=====

PROBE DROIDS
Our scanners have picked up possible Imperial signals around the base.
Move out and investigate. Eliminate any potential threats before they can alert the Empire to our presence. We cannot afford to be found out.

BEGGAR'S CANYON
-There are reports of Imperial activity in the canyons of Tatooine. Join an X-wing recon patrol to investigate the area. Eliminate any hostile forces that you encounter.

ENDOR CHASE
-Rebel forces are reported to be moving to an extraction point in your patrol's vicinity. Flush out all Rebels and hunt them down. They must not be allowed to escape.

OVERPOWER
-The Rebels have captured one of our factories on Sullust. We must claim it back as they cannot be allowed to get their hands on our technology. Lord Vader himself will be arriving soon and expects not to be disappointed. Rendezvous with the group leader and move out.

THE DARK SIDE
-Emperor Palpatine and his apprentice Lord Vader are spearheading the attack on a Rebel base situated in the Hoth system. The rebel forces are scrambling to maintain their control as the dark lords of the Sith invade.

EXTRACTION
-Hero Moment 2: Extraction description

INVASION
-The Empire have located our base, we must evacuate immediately! The transport ships are loading up but we need to hold off the Imperials until they have escaped. The Power Generator must hold until everyone is clear, do not let it be destroyed. May the Force be with us all.

SURVIVAL ENDOR
-Admiral Ackbar has ordered a series of dawn raids on the forest moon of Endor. As charges detonate, it's rumbling sound marks the successful completion of your mission.
However, the noise also alerts Imperial forces that are now moving into position to intercept and you must now hold out against the Imperial troops and survive at all costs before Admiral Ackbar and the rebel fleet can come to your rescue.
May the Force be with you.

SURVIVAL SULLUST
-A group of Rebels are sent into the heart of the Empire war machine, the lava planet of Sullust, in order to secure plans pivotal to the rebellion.
After successfully retrieving the documents the group is compromised with heavy casualties as a result. You must now hold out until help can arrive.
Good luck, and may the Force be with you.

SURVIVAL TATOOINE
-After a daring escape from an Imperial attack you find yourselves stranded in a desolate canyon on Tatooine.
Admiral Ackbar has ordered a rescue operation but the Imperial forces are rapidly closing in on your position.
You will have to fight until help arrives.
May the Force be with you.

SURVIVAL HOTH
-As Imperial forces seize control over the snow planet of Hoth, the last Rebel ship leaves with you left behind. Admiral Ackbar soon realizes his mistake and scrambles his best technicians to help you.
Hold out until the rebels can unlock the imperial flightcodes that is locking the base down and then use one of the snowspeeders to escape and re-unite with the rebel fleet.
Trust your instincts, and may the Force be with you.

BATTLE TATOOINE
-Rebel forces are interrupted by the Imperial forces while they are trading goods with a local Jawa tribe out in the Tatooine desert.
-The Rebels need to hold off the Imperials until they can take off and the Imperials need to stop the Rebel ship from leaving with important goods.

BATTLE ENDOR
-An Imperial communications outpost on endor are relaying encrypted communication between space and surface units.
-Rebel forces have been sent out to sabotage it.
-Imperial forces need to hold the outpost to keep their chain of command intact.

BATTLE SULLUST
-An AT-AT construction facility in the mountains of sullust is under rebel attack.
-Imperial forces need to make sure AT-AT production is not halted (they need the AT-ATs for Hoth)
-The rebel taskforce is there to make sure AT-AT production is kept down.

BATTLE HOTH
-A Rebel outpost in the snow mountains of hoth is guarding an important pass to stop the imperial foot soldiers from flanking the rebel base.
-Imperial forces need to secure the pass for the main force.
-Rebels need to make sure no one gets through.

HERO BATTLE TATOOINE
-Rebel forces are interrupted by the imperial forces while they are trading goods with a local Jawa tribe out in the tatooine desert.
-The rebels need to hold off the imperials until they can take off and the imperials need to stop the rebel ship from leaving with important goods.

HERO BATTLE ENDOR
-An Imperial communications outpost on endor are relaying encrypted communication between space and surface units.
-Rebel forces have been sent out to sabotage it.
-Imperial forces need to hold the outpost to keep their chain of command intact.

HERO BATTLE SULLUST
-An AT-AT construction facility in the mountains of sullust is under rebel attack.
-Imperial forces need to make sure AT-AT production is not halted (they need the AT-ATs for Hoth)
-The rebel taskforce is there to make sure AT-AT production is kept down.

HERO BATTLE HOTH
-A Rebel outpost in the snow mountains of hoth are guarding an important pass to stop the imperial foot soldiers from flanking the rebel base.
-Imperial forces need to secure the pass for the main force.
-Rebels need to make sure no one gets through.

As much as this is just a cut-scene, similar to the one that proceeded the Waves mode in the Beta, this is actually the stuff I'm most looking forward to right now...

The online speeder bike carnage is gonna be all cool (although the heroes are looking increasingly ridiculous ), but I think I'm actually in the mood for their semi-storified offline missions the most. To warm up at least

My goodness, the Hero modes look ridiculous, and their dialogue is godawful (and Han Solo being some rugby-tackling laser-sponge is just weird)... but my god... those levels, and the general vibe recreation, are all looking pretty fabulous ...

It's still got that slightly austere/cold DICE vibe to it, and I think I might not be totally onboard with the online circle of death as I once was, but I reckon there's some fun to be had in here

Nice little interactive Disney ride through the planets too.

Handy first look from Kotaku.

The offline stuff seems as thin as expected, but still should be fine for some low stress kickback gaming, or some relaxed and silly co-op. Good to know you can unlock upgrades there as well, rather than starting from scratch in online.

As obviously trammelled down a 'valley' as the speeder bike mission is (vid), and with basic 'dodge the object' gameplay (it's practically frogger ), it's definitely close to the right vibe . Still looking forward more to how it operates on a battlefield though as 'behind the lines' runner though.

Ultimately, the first looks from early Xbone access seem to be saying: Pretty but meh. Ah well :S

But it does look pretty. It definitely does

And there does seem to be some meat on the bone . JackFrags would be the first to criticise it if it was too light on mechanics.

*EDIT*
  • Hero Hunt looks like the most fun use of the Heroes to date, and in some ways the most 'authentic'. The idea of 7 Rebel grunts vs Darth appeals as an asymmetric set up
  • They've added weak points to the AT-AT & AT-ST, a nice nod to more skill-based play.
  • Ewoks scurrying around Endor, yay

And my god, just look at Endor, just look at Endor

Love the little moment when a bird (?) flits passed the AT-AT

*EDITEDIT* And evening on Tatooine. The immersion is strong in this game!

Interesting conclusion in one of the few embargo-dodging reviews, using the Xbone early access, that Battlefront's main problem is that all other modes pale besides Walker Assault. And Walker Assault on its own doesn't merit the price tag, coming with just 4 maps. Can see the argument. Essentially WA contains every aspect, over a prolonged period, and other modes feel stripped down in comparison. Why fly short rounds of 20 vs 20 fighters when you could be taking on fighters and ground forces for 20 minutes? Why use the simplified run-n-gun as a pure infantry shooter, when you could have the complexity of taking on (& driving) vehicles too etc.

That said, I'm pretty stoked to play some of these lesser modes 'the wrong way'. IE the sensible way to play this game is in 3rd person, for the broad view, and with no aiming-down-sights to keep your mobility. But I'm so up for removing the HUD and going first person in some of the vehicle-only modes

Will be a massive disadvantage, but will be pretty damn cool I suspect

Gifs are evil. But this one is more evil than most...

And so the thread comes full circle...

(Yes, I'm getting circle jerky )

*EDIT*

Hypey hypey hype hype....

Space Combat
There are all-new maps, with combat taking place in space outside the Death Star, and inside the walls of the ultimate weapon.

Multi-Stage Gameplay
Test your skill by taking off and flying through a trench on the surface of the Death Star.
I've no idea how they're going to make the trench fun gameplay, but it looks good at least, and sounds like it'll be part of some 'multi stage' gamemode.

I'd love it if the space battles meant boarding capital ships, but I'm guessing it's just gonna be a 'shoot the shield generator affair' (with occasional bonus crashes into the bridge )

That Chewie pic is making me dream of crashing personnel carriers into docking bays, but I'm guessing that'll just be a stand-alone infantry mode.